"The Sixth Extinction…"

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

"The Sixth Extinction…"

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

By Elizabeth Kolbert….
(with an aside for contemporary technology in respect to reading, and what turned out to be a satisfactory result of the self-indulgence of "I want it, and I want it NOW! No waiting until dawn before satisfying an urge.")
Late last night I was watching a tape of a past "Daily Show…" and was both charmed and made curious my Jon Stewart's interview with the author of this amazingly well-written and incredibly captivating book… it simply can't be set aside, except forcibly for food, drink, hygiene, and perhaps even the demands of a fellow human on one's time.

Thanks to the scorned Kindle technology which I profess to hate, I immediately went to purchase it from Amazon, waiting about 3 minutes for it to downland… and bam… up all night reading .
And relishing it, even as it is one of the more telling indictments of human carelessness as well as our mysterious but persistent, deliberate destruction of our home, our habitat in the universe.
We have been warned, we have been interacted, we have even looked into a grim future, but we continue to undermine our own best interests, our possible survival as a species.
But highly recommended: wonderful stories of the adventures of working naturalists, zoologists, biologists, and part fascinating travelogue.
And then, a little shame and humiliation at being made aware of our destructive human bent, can do us nothing but good.
And besides, Ms. Kolbert ( a New Yorker regular which always implies impeccable research) is such a wonderful writer that the enviable grace of her prose makes our inevitable self-extinction a bit easier to bear.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."