The thoroughly enjoyable Bill Bryson.....

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

The thoroughly enjoyable Bill Bryson.....

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:16 am

.......kept me company all day today... having written yet another thoroughly enjoyable chronicle of things, events, occupations, avocations that interest him so much that he is certain he can cajole you into being fascinated by them too.
And he does... I can guarantee it!
And in contrast to so many writers (or wannabes) who think that as well, and fail miserably at the endeavor... Bryson, as always, delivers.
His latest is "One Summer: America 1927" and what a year that was!
The year that America became convinced it was exceptional, a nation of nations..... an idea that has lasted, for good and ill until our cataclysmic present... abetted by the young Charles Lindbergh who departed for Paris on May 20th in the tiny "Spirit of St. Louis, and landed the next day at Le Bourget, the world changed forever,.
But there was also the evolution of baseball, with the presence of Babe Ruth, Calvin Coolidge (the saturnine by successful President), the final days of Sacco and Vanzetti, the booming stock market, the now ubiquitous motor car, the birth of the Hollywood we know now.

Highly recommended..... for entertainment and profit.

And science buffs who are often rebuffed for lack of details might want to read Bill Bryson's "a Short History of Almost Everything," which inspired my granddaughter then 9 years old to " let's study, let's discover, let's invent.." (enthusiasms which way have intermittently wavered, but have never entirely disappeared).
Or "A Walk in the Woods" which inspired by then 20 year old, completely non-athletic son to walk the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine one summer,
It was his "walkabout," his "it made a man of him" experience..
And while I'm extolling the talented above all, but also lovable and smart Bryson, I have to mention that he was the author, at about 20 years old, of "the Fat Girls of Iowa," a travel/family saga that is a candidate (among many great ones) for the funniest (and warm and affectionate) American short story ever written.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Return to “The Bookshelf”