Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China

Read any good books lately?
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 pm

by Ezra F. Vogel, c. 2011, published Oct. 2013, 744 pages of text, 101 pages of footnotes and index.
https://www.amazon.com/Deng-Xiaoping-Tr ... g+xiaoping

Marge and I saw this book displayed in both English and Chinese at the airport in Chongquing when leaving from vacation in 2014. It was over $40 so I waited to buy it used from Amazon.

It could have been titled The Story of an Indefatigable Five-foot Giant, Deng Xiaoping (1904-1997).

Deng was a student, a laborer, a revolutionary warrior, a politician, and a visionary who had been demoted and banished three times before becoming the leader of China in 1978 at age 74. He retired in 1989 at age 85, but continued to barnstorm the country, sometimes with his family, preaching reforms and economic growth until 1994 when his health began to fail, and died in 1997 at age 93.

The book reads almost like a novel covering such events as the Chinese revolution, the Vietnam War, the fall of the Berlin wall and the Soviet Union, The Great Leap Forward, the Tiananmen Square massacre, and much more.

From page 697, hardcover edition:

"When Deng became preeminent leader in 1978, China's trade with the world totaled less than $10 billion; within three decades it had expanded 100 fold. At the same time, China was encouraging the United States to accept a few hundred Chinese students; by a decade after Deng's death, an estimated 1.4 million students had studied abroad and some 390,000 had already returned to China..."
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 pm

I heard Honey Huang had a big hand in making China great again: http://doonesbury.washingtonpost.com/st ... /2018/1/28
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm

Hadn't seen Doonesbury in awhile so checked it out. It has only run repeat strips Monday-Friday since Feb. 2014, and new strips on Sundays.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doonesbury
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:42 pm

Yes. I mean, except I get to see the new strips on Saturday, since we don't have Sunday papers here. We have Saturday papers instead.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “The Bookshelf”