Carrie Fisher

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
ryu
Poster

Carrie Fisher

Postby ryu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm

So I ran into this anti Semite who hates everyone who said this

"F*ck you, Harrison Ford. The brave ones are the folks who stay married, crawl out of bed for 40 years to go to a factory job, and then retire for a year or two before they die of exhaustion."
My response:

Not to be a jerk but do they achieve great things like Carrie reducing stigma about mental illness and fighting for better treatment? No? False equivelance. You hate Jews fine. Find some actual complaints beyond that than someone who suffered from drugs because she was mentally ill then recovered than some {!#%@} that never did anything like you hope to be!

Your thoughts?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Carrie Fisher

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Ummmm.....what did Harrison Ford say?

I caught Carrie Fisher's One Woman Play on tv a few months ago. Quite engaging.... she really was a daughter of Hollywood Royalty. Years ago I heard Carrie comment that Hollywood was crazy: that she made more money from her first Star Wars movie than her mother made her entire life.

Money, fame, adulation........hard for a kiddie to handle.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:16 pm

ryu wrote:So I ran into this anti Semite who hates everyone who said this

"F*ck you, Harrison Ford. The brave ones are the folks who stay married, crawl out of bed for 40 years to go to a factory job, and then retire for a year or two before they die of exhaustion."
My response:

Not to be a jerk but do they achieve great things like Carrie reducing stigma about mental illness and fighting for better treatment? No? False equivelance. You hate Jews fine. Find some actual complaints beyond that than someone who suffered from drugs because she was mentally ill then recovered than some {!#%@} that never did anything like you hope to be!

Your thoughts?

Is your acquaintance saying that bravery is the lack of courage to make changes in your life when what you are doing isn't working?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:52 pm

it is far harder to stay married and work and support a family for decades with a low paying job,,,,
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:08 pm

So many (irrelevant?) issues getting dragged in here. With all due respect ...

"... achieve great things like Carrie reducing stigma about mental illness and fighting for better treatment". Bullcrap, I suspect. Most people who have suffered from mental illness would fight for better treatment given half an opportunity. Ms. Fisher had opportunity in spades.

"... than someone who suffered from drugs because she was mentally ill". Works just as effectively the other way round.

"... it is far harder to stay married and work and support a family for decades with a low paying job". Amazingly, loads of people have done/ do/ will do just that as a matter of course. But its relevance to Carrie Fisher on a sliding scale of 1 to 10 comes in about 0.

It's a shame she died, but Joan of Arc she never was. I liked her Princess role more for her thighs than for her dramatic prowess.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:27 pm

she had an illness , was a very talented writer, funny and a good actress....yes brave to talk about her illness.........watch the talk shows to see countless wealthy, pampered celebrities talk about how difficult their lives are....it's ridiculous...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:54 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote: ... that she (Carrie Fisher) made more money from her first Star Wars movie than her mother made her entire life.

The first Star Wars movie was made way back in 1977 and no one knew it was going to be a hit. George Lucas paid the "unknowns" union rates plus an advance on a percentage of the movie's "above the line profit" profit. Therefore Carrie Fisher made royalties from movie reruns on TV but didn't participate in merchandising. She probably signed an option clause for the next two films, also at the same low rate.

The First Star Wars film was a pretty cheap film. George Lucas simply did a good job on a shoe string.

Carrie Fisher audition "read through" for Star Wars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCXrGuLix7M

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 am

Debbie Reynolds just died.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:18 am

wow

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:28 am

Debbie Reynolds Last Words 'I Want to Be with Carrie' | TMZ.com

www.tmz.com/2016/12/28/debbie-reynolds-tmz-000/

31 mins ago - Todd Fisher tells us Debbie cracked early Wednesday morning from grief. She was at Todd's home during the morning hours, talking about Carrie's funeral, when she made the comment. Fifteen minutes later she had the stroke.

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”