American Idol

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Re: American Idol

Postby Tom Palven » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 am

Wee ay wee. Say la vee.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu May 17, 2012 10:28 am

1. Jessica's my fave for combined singing ability and personality.

2. Joshua has amazing natural singing ability, but I'm still missing that "connection" with the lyrics and the audience.

3. Phillip gets points for looks and style, but not for singing ability.

And, BTW, Joshua sang a cleansed version of Imagine. He did sing "Imagine there's no Heaven, no Hell below us, above us only sky," but he left "Imagine there's no countries, and no religion, too," so he was basically imagining the status quo...
Joshua's version:
http://www.americanidol.com/videos/seas ... formances/
(Note: this comes up Etta James' I'd Rather Go Blind, and you have to click below to get Imagine.)

John Lennon's original version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5S68RimPk
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:08 pm

They do hav to shorten the songz quite a bit.

If Jessica gets the ax tonite, its my fault. I forgot to vote.

The look on Joshez face after hiz songz iz funny. Like he cant believe hez there.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:32 am

Tipikl.

I'm a litl suprizd it wuz Josh insted uv Jesiku. No worry tho. He will hav a great career.

I liked Adam Lamberts performance. I think hez the most creative artist American Idol ever discoverd.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri May 18, 2012 12:59 pm

Yeah, I thought Adam Lambert was terrific, even more dynamic than usual, and I thought he looked even younger than he did last time I saw him. But, hey, JO, "they have to shorten the songs" is a real stretch. Cutting out "Imagine there's no countries, it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too" is pretty short, and it cuts the heart right out of the song, which tends to refute what Randy was saying about Josh's courage of his convictions, and looks more like he's caving in to his preacher father and the God Bless America crowd.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed May 23, 2012 12:57 am

I gotta admit that Philip did a great job on that last song. So, what will be, will be.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 am

I liked it to.

Itll probably be a repeat uv seazon 5 with Kat Mcfee vs Taylor Hicks. A quirky male artist against a powerhouse girl. That seazon also had a suprize 3rd place elimination.

They scaled the show back quite a bit this year. Remember wen theyd sumtimez hav it on 4 dayz a week? There wuznt even a charity show this yir.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:23 am

Hey! i got it rite!

Best uv luk to Phil, but out uv the top 12, plus many more that didnt get that far, he woudnt be my choice. I wunder if maybe the Howard Stern fanz are still skewing the vote. Too many boring guyz are winning.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu May 24, 2012 7:43 am

I'm disappointed, but still wouldn't mind seeing the top ten when they're on tour near Atlanta Aug 5.
Maybe 100 people have already mentioned this, but seems to me Philip is lookin' to be called The Man in Gray.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun May 27, 2012 4:33 pm

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:22 am

The New York show wuz a drag. Alredy cant remember anything about it.

I wuz considering skipping this seazon after that, but gave it another shot kuz I'm from Chicago. That show seemed substantially better, so I gess I'll keep watching.

It woud be much better if they got rid uv the ADD director & editor. I heard they are working on a documentary movie. It will be a 2 owr compilation uv subliminal advertizing clips.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:51 am

Can't really comment. Have meant to start watching thhis season and keep forgetting. It's lucky that I can remember,so far, that there are a couple of potentially good football games on this evening, but I'll try to get my act in gear and watch AI this week. Which brings me to

THE SENILITY PRAYER :
Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
The good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference..

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Got my very first view of the juhjiz last night. Maria Carey is the only one I've heard of, and I couldn't cite anything she has sung. But I got the impression that if they last, these juhjiz will be at least as good as Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez were last year, who may have been good juhjiz of talent, but pretty boring. Just as last year, it seemed to me that the juhjiz were raving about people who to me couldn't carry a tune. I think I was proved about that last year, the problem being, I think, that they were singing songs that I didn't know, which really have no identifiable tune. Whatevah. We'll see. :mrgreen:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:22 pm

The 3 new jujiz seem boring to me. Boringer than Lopez & Tyler.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 pm

JO 753 wrote:The jujez hav gone hypercritical. Like they are competing to be meaner than Simon.

I think Crystal did the best and Siobhan 2nd. I didnt like Mikes performance. Overpowered by the band.

Jeezis I hope not. Wur talkin' bout the outter limmits here, the possibel nadir of boringdom!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:21 am

How did you manage to screw that up?

Todaze show wuz OK. Bubble gum for the brain.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm

JO 753 wrote:How did you manage to screw that up?

Todaze show wuz OK. Bubble gum for the brain.

How do you know I screwed that up? Maybe I was just trying to be funny...or not. :senile:
PS Got a comment for you over at the Social Pacts thread.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am

Trying to be funny? OK then!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :) :) :) :? :? :? :? :( :(

I didnt get it.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

Gotta say that Nicki looks a whole lot better with the dark hair, and even with the pink curls. Only Mary Travers could get away with that long straight blond hair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4g_1VoGw4
(I'm not a fashion expert, but I play one on Skeptic.com. along with roles as a political pundit.)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm

I missed the show last nite. Too bizzy.

I'v alwayz like bangz. like Barbara Eden az Jeannie.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:36 am

Watched last nite. Reazonably entertaining. Iz it just me or did the auditionz faze get shortened agen?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 am

JO 753 wrote:Watched last nite. Reazonably entertaining. Iz it just me or did the auditionz faze get shortened agen?

Dunno. Seemz yer probally rite. Did that last groop set the jujiz up sayin' they weren't werkin together and then comming up with a pretty good akt?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:20 am

I think it wuz the produserz who set it up that way to try to create sum drama.

I hate Niki Monoj. Looks like a desperate clown. Never haz anything interesting to say but talks all the time. Alwayz with the snap jujments. The worst iz her naggy bich voice.

Dont care much for Queen Mariah either and the country guy iz bland.

I wont be woching regularly.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:18 am

I tend to like country girl Janelle Arthur as an early fave. Not a real tricky voice, but a nice, pleasant voice. You could have said the same for Elvis.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:47 am

I was happy about the top ten America voted for. They're all great. Liked Tenna Torres, Adriana Latonio, and Nick Boddington a lot too, and others that didn't make it this time.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 am

I didnt woc.

Boddington? Soundz familiar. Wuz he on in a previous seezn?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 pm

JO 753 wrote:I didnt woc.

Boddington? Soundz familiar. Wuz he on in a previous seezn?

Might have been, although I don't remember him. :senile:

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:31 am

JO 753,
I had :
Amber 10
Angie 8 (Didn't like song)
Candice 10
Janelle 9
Kree 3
Burnell 6
Lazaro 8

Marge and I are back from Beijing, Shanghai, and a Yangtze River Cruise with Gate 1 tours. China is still going gangbusters, and is a tremendous bang for the buck. Gate 1 is the cheapest and most user friendly tour company I know of, great tour guides who meet you at the airport and return you, and on most tours will arrange things on line immeditately with a price from many gateway cities with no strings attached..

I've ordered various single-bevelled Japanese kitchen knives and plan to look at others at Target and other places, and then try to get the flat sides of the blades plated with titanium nitride or zirconium nitride. If this works out I'll ask if you want me to send you one.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 am

Maybe I'll tune into the last show.

I thot about the nife thing a few dayz ago. Its not going to work with the normal stainless uzed for nivez. The wear over a wide surface area (relativ to the hard plated area) will not keep up with the breaking off hard ej. You will need a metal that haz a very hi wear rate, yet iz strong enuf to suport the plated side. Since you still need it to not rust or leave vizable, tastable or toxic rezidue on your food, the base metal choicez are going to be limited. I cant think uv any aloy thats likely to work. The closest I can think uv iz 7075 aluminum but I dont know if it will pass the vizable/taste test.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:22 am

Maybe that's the reason nobody does it. But I've already got a small collection of Japanese knives started, with a few more to arrive in the mail, and I have a local Target and a BJ Wholsale in my sights to check out for a few more, so I'm going to go ahead and try to give plating of the unbevelled side of them a whirl just to make sure that the idea sucks. :budo:

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Study the teeth youre trying to imitate. Maybe therez more to it than just plain wear and you coud figure out sum trik to make it work.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 pm

It's not teeth, it's claws. Probably the most obvious is cats sharpening their claws on a scratching post, but the same is true for squirrel claws and other animals whose claws get sharper with use. I even checked out eagles for the heck of it, and found a site that mentioned eagles claws get sharpened when they walk or
cling to a perch. You probably noticed with dogs, too, that the top layer of their nails is hard, and the lower material is softer and wears away leaving them pointed although not as sharp as eagle or cat claws. The top layers of the claws probably grow at a faster rate, crreating curvature, but that's just an aside, not relevant to knives.

BTW, I checked out Target and BJ's and their "Japanese style" knives are not single-bevelled, so I ordered a few more single-bevelled knives on line

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 am

I think sqwrlz, woodchuks, beavrz & similr creaturz also hav teeth that continualy grow and wear away to maintain a sharp ej.

I dont think clawz work on the same prinsipl. At least for cats, they arent wearing a softer material away, they are insted breaking off the old layer to expoze a new sharp point. I often find old claw shellz around here.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 am

Oh yeah, I was thinking about most mammals with permanent teeth and sharks that shed their teeth, and forgot about rodents. Wouldn't surprise me if the yellow in rodents' teeth isn't some harder kind of enamel just on the front of the tooth. "Buy our new, exclusive, self-sharpening Rat-tooth Knife from Ratknife, Inc."

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Rat Nife! I like it!

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 am

Right on! Get a good advertising agency to push Ratknife and the sky's the limit!

Didn't mind the Idol juhjiz at first, but seems they're getting more boringly effusive (effusively boring?) every week.

FWIW:
Amber 8
Angie 9
Candice 10
Janelle 9
Kree 8
Lazaro 4

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:06 pm

I vote for Kree and Lazaro.

No idea who they are but they hav the coolest namez.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:43 am

The good news is you missed a long Fantasia song. On the other hand, Clay Aiken was on and they did a clip about his work with UNICEF, etc, which made me proud to be an Idol viewer, (that's important cause it it can augment my other pride in having a signature).

Candice Glover is terrific. It's worth tuning in just to hear her.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

Maybe I'll tune in tomarow.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Last night was a bummer. The ladies had made some poor song choices Wed night, the results were weird, and the powers-that-be called for a rematch. No decision

It's going to come down to song choices that the viewers are familiar with and like. I think that if Kree, who has "a wife" at home, sang Anne Murray's You Needed Me that she could win it all.

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”