American Idol

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

American Idol

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 am

I'm figuring Casey James for good looks, good voice, nice personality, and general star power, despite the judges giving him a hard time last night. Jermaine Sellers and Tim Urban may be the next two to go, and the rest of the guys all have a lot of talent.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Re: American Idol

Postby Jeff D » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 am

Very rarely, maybe once a month, I find myself wishing that I could care about American Idol and the competitors. But then I feel grateful for not having invested, and not wanting to invest, the time in watching and caring . . . .

For me, it's the same as the Super Bowl, or the NCAA Final Four, or Jon and Kate.
Jeff D

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:03 pm

At least Idol and the Superbowl are live. I gave up the Sunday morning talking head pronosticators and BBC news years ago, and the last TV series I watched were Seinfeld and Buffy. Have meant to tune in Survivor, but forget, and also forgot to try to see the last game or two of the World Sries, so it's just Idol, maybe the Final Four, and the finals of major tennis, golf, and World Cup matches, and I'll probably forget the golf if Tiger isn't playing. My wife is watching the Aaustraian series McLeod's Daughters that she gets from Netflix.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Gotta admit I'm a TV junky.

Started watching American Idol beginning sezon 2 and havent missed a minute since. The only real standout for me in the last 3 or 4 seazonz haz been Adam Lambert. Previous seazonz I liked Clay Aikin & Kat McFee. Seemz the best never win the finale.

The new seazon uv Breaking Bad starts soon! http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/ If you like dark humor, this iz the preemo skontay. But you shoud watch the seazon 1 and 2 DVDz first.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Just put Breaking Bad, Season 1, Disc one at the top of the Netflix queue. Thanks.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:47 pm

JO 753,
Watched the first episode of Breaking Bad and thought it was cool. Am reading Michael Connelly's latest now, and some other stuff, so I read the recaps of the next few episodes on Wiki. Probably won't watch more, but would have been hooked if I'd started when it aired.

Re: American Idol Couldn't understand Cara crying over Michael Lynch's performance and the other judges loving it, too. I liked it least and Tim Urban's perfomance next to last, and thought that Andrew Garcia was a little weak, too. Still think that Casey James if the man to beat.

I couldn't uinderstand the judges dissing Paige Miles.. I thought she was good, and that Crystal Bowersox was excellent. I like Lily Scott, but thought she was only fair, and that her rendition of a great Patsy Cline song didn't do it justice, but, here again I'm at odds with the judges, who liked it a lot. Also still a big fan of the very cute and talented Lacey Brown.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm

I think Big Mike iz the guy, but I'm not being wowed by any uv them yet. Bowersox iz good, but still haznt gotten to me. I liked Siobhan (sOVoN by Ryan'z pronunciation) enuf to fone in a vote Toozday.

Sum kool stuff at http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/. If you hav hi speed, do the 'customize' version uv Walt's Warning. I believe you can also watch complete episodez there also.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:48 pm

Got my custom Idol worksheet out and noticed that I have "excellent" underlined next to Siobhan. Now that the numbers are so small maybe I'll get them all straight this week.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 am

JO 753 I had:
Lee Dewyze Good
Andrew Garcia Fair
Casey James Good (Had been my man to beat, maybe still is.)
Aaron Kelly Excellent (I had him pegged for fair. After a moment I thought "pretty good", and ended up with excellent.
Michael Lynche Fair
Tim Urban Terrible

Didi Benami- Fair
Lacey Brown- Fair (Was hoping she'd do a hot version of Under My Thumb
Katie Stevens Very Good
Sioban Magnus Terrific Your girl was great. Judges, who I rarely agree with, loved her, too.
Paige Miles Great job on Honky Tonk Woman. Judges liked her, too.
Crystal Bowersox Good

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 am

I'd go along with most uv that, except 'good' for Lynche insted uv only fair.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

diferince uv opinnon s'wot maiks a hoarse race cordin ta mister mark twane.:wgrin:, but I almost gave a good to both Michael Lynche and Andrew Garcia.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:28 pm

My wild card prediction: WILLIAM HUNG!

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm

He truly took I Believe I Can Fly and made it his own.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:09 am

What was with your girl, Siobhan Magnus, JO? She looks like a lovable nerd when she's with Miley Cyrus, and then comes out looking super hot and singing terrific. I thought she outshined Crystal Bowersox, and is now the girl to beat. Among the guys it may come down to Aaron Kelly and Casey James, both with great performances. Thought it was a toss-up as to whether Tim Urban or Didi Benomi should go home.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:13 am

Sorry, wrong thread. Um, have fun.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:53 am

GO THEN! Leavez more for me & Tom.

He wuz looking for the Idle American thread.

Got the Sioban fever, do you? I think shez going to be at least top 3, but Simon iz rite; she can't do the same big scream at the end thing every week, no matter how good she soundz.

I think Paige will get axed tommorow. She did horrible tonite and never did anything outstanding enuf to get a big fan base.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:28 am

fromthehills wrote:Sorry, wrong thread. Um, have fun.

You were looking for American Idyll?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:18 am

I WIN!

But really its too bad. She sounded fine in her fairwell song. Looked good also.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:31 am

Yeah, too bad. I think that Paige is very good, and orders of magnitude better than Tim Urban and Didi Benomi. Siobhan's signature "scream" at the end brings back Roy Orbison's signature ending high notes, so it ain't all bad, despite Simon's criticism.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

I think Didi iz pretty good. I liked her rendition uv No Good.

I didnt think Tim sang so great, but he already haz a fan base & did a good job uv using the stage, including a Marty McFly slide.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:58 pm

I've got no problem with Tim playing to his fan base. Now, if could just sing like Nat King Cole or Roy Orbison, I'd be a fan, too. (You might check out Orbison's The Crowd, which builds to his typical crescendo.)

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff D » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 am

By "the Crowd," do you mean the song "These Comedians," which Elvis Costello wrote and which Orbison recorded on his last studio album?

I had the privilege of seeing Orbison live in concert at the Beacon Theater in N.Y.C., I think less than a year before his death. He performed "Crying," hit those high notes to a tremendous ovation, and then did the song again, right then. An amazing voice.
Jeff D

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

I had never heard of These Comedians, and looked it up on You Tube. It was a real treat to hear it, although I prefer some of the songs Orbison worte, with Running Scared being maybe my favorite. Jackie Wilson also had an operatic voice, and you might enjoy checking out his version of Night, if you've never heard it.

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Postby Jeff D » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:40 am

Tom,

I hadn't recalled "The Crowd," but my wife, who is the real authority on Roy Orbison in my household, reminded me that it is one of Orbison's songs.

I actually heard a bit of Jackie Wilson's foray into operatic singing ("Night") on an NPR piece earlier this week. I had forgotten that Wilson collapsed from a heart attack at an R&B revival concert (while singing "Lonely Teardrops," I think) and spent about 9 years in a coma before dying.
Jeff D

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:49 pm

I hope I can catch that NPR piece some time. Maybe I can find it on the web. Lonely Teardrops is the other side of Wilson's voice- extremely tricky. IHO, brilliant.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 am

Thought that Didi Benomi hit as many bad notes as ususal, but this time the judges didn't give her a pass. Crystal Bowersox is still the lady to beat. Tim Urban sang better than usual. Can't see why the judges liked Andy Garcia so much. Casey and Aaron are still leading neck and neck IMHO.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 pm

I didnt think anybody wuz bad this week.

Wut do you think uv the Judge Save rule?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:41 am

Thought the right person got voted off. Think Katie Stevens should take Simon's advice, and that she could do justice to Patsy Cline's Crazy or Sweet Dreams.
In a way the judge's save is annoying, but it adds a little interest and intrigue, IMHO.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 am

It wuz probably motivated by bad votes in seazonz past. Howard Stern wuz getting hiz lissinerz to skew the rezults. I like the idea.

I think Didi iz very distinctive, but agree she didnt do such a great job for a few showz.

Hoo doo yoo figyr gets the boot next? I say Urban!

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:41 am

Yeah, I think you're right. I like Urban's attitude, but he just isn't a gifted singer. And I think Siobhan might be getting more votes if she were as pretty as Didi, but c'est la vie.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 am

Thought that Casey and Siobhan were both terrific. And she's prettier than before.. Maybe she had some dental work done.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:23 am

Dewyze nokt it owta the park! I wuz figyring hed be the next off, but tonite he totally redeemed himself. The bag pipes wuz a good visual, but I didnt hear it much.

Katie? Stevenz did great also.

I think the chuby hispanic guy gets the boot tomorow.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:18 am

Yes, Katie was great, too, and Simon might be right, that she might find a rewarding niche in country music. Thought Crystal was good, but for some reason am not that fond of her.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:14 am

Enjoyed the ladies more than the gentlemen. Gave them A's amd the men B's, except Tim Urban got a C and Andrew Garcia a D.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 am

It will really surprize me if Andrew duznt go this week, but I dont know who the 2nd victim shoud be.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 am

Andrew & Katie. No suprize. Lamberts orijinl song iz pretty good.

stegner00

Postby stegner00 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:33 pm

I was cheering on Andrew as well but his performances lately really were bland. I'm a huge fan of Lee Dewyze. I can see him making it big, if only he'd let go of his self doubts. He's so good so he doesn't have a reason to lose confidence in himself.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:20 am

I can see Lee's appeal in Tony Bennett kind of way, but I haven't thought of him as being among the top performers. I just went to you tube and hit hte first Lee song I saw, Hey Jude, and I swear his hit three or four notes that were a little off in the first line of the song, but I'm sure tht he has a good carreer in front of him, and "That ain't workin', That's the way to do it, You play the git-tar on the MTV."

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 am

Couldn't possibly have disagreed more with the judges on the first two. Gave Casey an A for both his singing and his guitar playing. Didn't think Lee did The Boxer justice. Gave him a C. Also gave Tim a C. Liked Aaron's song chioce but didn't think he hit some of the minor notes in I Believe I Can Fly cleanly. Gave him a B.

Diagreed with the judges again on Siobhan. Thought she was ON, terrific, A+. Thought Michael turned in a solid performance and gave him an A. IMHO Crystal sang a silly song well. Gave her a B.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:21 am

The jujez hav gone hypercritical. Like they are competing to be meaner than Simon.

I think Crystal did the best and Siobhan 2nd. I didnt like Mikes performance. Overpowered by the band.

Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”