In Search of...

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

In Search of...

Post by landrew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:35 am

There's a new series on Discovery Science named after Leonard Nimoy's 1970s series of the same name. The skeptics on this forum would love it, because they never deal with the unexplained, the way the original series did. They stick to general topics in a book-report format, never getting controversial, and keeping it very uncontroversial. The host Zachary Quinto plays it as tame as possible, looking slack-jawed and nonplussed most of the time. A big disappointment for sure for anyone expecting this series to be any sort of a sequel to the original.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: In Search of...

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:54 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:35 am
The skeptics on this forum would love it,
Love it? We stole the show format. I used to work for the Australian company Beyond Ltd that made TV shows in Australia and teams travelling the world, using tax funding. For twenty years we made straight science documentary shows like Beyond 2000 in the 80s and 90s We then put American talent in front of the camera, in the US and called it Mythbusters. . (Yep. Mythbusters was Australian and everyone assumed it was American)

My boss met with Bob Guccionne back then as Penthouse owned "Omni Magazine" a science fiction magazine. The aim was to obtain the rights to make short SF science fiction movies for a cable series. Sadly it was too expensive back then.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 am

I used to watch In Search of..., it was one of my favourite shows. The bendy-wordy-nonsense they would make Leonard Nimoy say made my skin crawl! :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6lTSPXDOAI
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:54 am

I'm here for the beer. :ahoy:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 am

In search of 1.jpg
Hi. I'm Leonard Nimoy. Today we investigate whether my own show , "In Search of" contained any facts at all in our latest episode "In Search of In search of". ( Opening Theme Music).
In search of 2.jpg
However, before we do that : I composed this little song about "searching for in search of". If you like this song please don't hesitate to buy the record which is available at all leading outlets.
In search of 3.jpg
If you really enjoy my work, why not buy my full ten track concept album "The wisdom of Pyrrho, the skeptic society forum moderator". It's a doozy. :D

(Damn you Leonard Nimoy! You stole my album concept. Signed Matthew Ellard)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm

You can try to besmirch the character of Leonard Nimoy by his choice of subject matter, but he went to his grave a respected man.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 am

landrew wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm
You can try to besmirch the character of Leonard Nimoy by his choice of subject matter, but he went to his grave a respected man.
I have huge respect for Leonard Nimoy. He acted, directed, sang, played instruments and had a huge sense of humour.

I thought it would be you who would consider him "primitive" as Nimoy's parents were Russian.
:lol:

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 am
landrew wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pm
I have huge respect for Leonard Nimoy. He acted, directed, sang, played instruments and had a huge sense of humour.

I thought it would be you who would consider him "primitive" as Nimoy's parents were Russian.
:lol:
That's low, even for you.
My ancestors were all from Russia. If you'd been paying attention, my frustration is with the Russian system and culture, not it's people.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 am

landrew wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:19 pm
I see. So you think Russians are primitive with no evidence, unless they are Leonard Nimoy. That's great.
landrew wrote:
My ancestors were all from Russia. If you'd been paying attention, my frustration is with the Russian system and culture, not it's people.
I'll bring that up with the Russian skeptic Society next time I'm back in Moscow. When were you last in Russia to make your observation?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 am
landrew wrote:
I see. So you think Russians are primitive with no evidence, unless they are Leonard Nimoy. That's great.
landrew wrote:
I'll bring that up with the Russian skeptic Society next time I'm back in Moscow. When were you last in Russia to make your observation?
How do you cook up your "special" criteria? What makes you think you can't have an opinion about a country without visiting there?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 am

landrew wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am
How do you cook up your "special" criteria?
A history of publishing debunked stories. Next question. ( I thought you studied history? )
landrew wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:56 am
What makes you think you can't have an opinion about a country without visiting there?
You don't know the language. You never saw Russian culture in Russia. Your claim about lard was complete BS from start to finish. Your opinion on something you never saw is worthless.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 am

landrew wrote:
...my frustration is with the Russian system and culture, not it's people.
its
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Gord wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:26 am
landrew wrote:
...my frustration is with the Russian system and culture, not it's people.
its
Thanks Gord.