Arrival

Sort of like "The Bookshelf" but for... you get the idea.
User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Arrival

Postby Lausten » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:33 am

Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24498
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Arrival

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 am

Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

I'm looking forward to seeing Arrival. I believe it goes into the complexity of communication with aliens which interests me.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 am

If we can learn to communicate with aliens it may give us a clue as to how to communicate with Republicans.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Arrival

Postby Cadmusteeth » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 am

I think if you want to talk them, you need to think in terms of what their concerns are. Complicated since even republicans are on a spectrum.
I digress though.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:32 pm

Cadmusteeth wrote:I think if you want to talk them, you need to think in terms of what their concerns are. Complicated since even republicans are on a spectrum.
I digress though.

I haven't see one that wasn't all about the money.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4855
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Arrival

Postby Monster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

User avatar
Lausten
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3439
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm
Location: Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Arrival

Postby Lausten » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Monster wrote:
Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 pm

Lausten wrote:
Monster wrote:
Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.

In the movie it appeared that they were THERE, not just remembering. "I know why my husband left me!"
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Arrival

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Lausten wrote:
Monster wrote:
Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.

In the movie it appeared that they were THERE, not just remembering. "I know why my husband left me!"


Is a child's happiness priceless, and if so, when?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZVv2AOCnaA
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 746
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Arrival

Postby Cadmusteeth » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Lausten wrote:
Monster wrote:
Lausten wrote:Saw it. Pretty good. No weird pseudo-religious message. The science was plausible. The portrayal of the media reaction was excellent. The military characters actually had some depth to them. Not bad.

Sadly, time travel woo was used to explain how Amy Adams could stop the Chinese from attacking. So, for me, the movie turned from plausible alien contact story to magic silliness. I still like magic silliness, but it was disappointing for me, since I was under the false impression that this was a hard sci-fi movie.

The connection though was that by learning the language, you learned their understanding of time, and if you learned their understanding of time, you understood that you can have "memories" of the future. Maybe you are not aware of the "hard" science that time may not be the linear thing that we now understand it to be.

In the movie it appeared that they were THERE, not just remembering. "I know why my husband left me!"

I think it was a change in perspective between the main character 's future self and current self brought about by her brain no longer distinguishing between past and future. How the brain could work that way in real life is beyond my expertise to speculate.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:37 pm

I didn't get that at all. Those weren't recollections, they were events.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2196
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Arrival

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 pm

Future events.

The Very Bad Wizards have a pretty good podcast about the film, in case anyone is interested.
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:01 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Future events.

The Very Bad Wizards have a pretty good podcast about the film, in case anyone is interested.

They were all events in her life. She could be "there" in any one of them.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18220
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Arrival

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 pm

What made her special was that she was the first human who could do that. The classroom scene where the (obviously) important linguists are paying rapt attention to her marks that point.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2196
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Arrival

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:57 am

I think that is not what's happening: there is no time travel, no moving of her mind into herself at different times.
Instead, being able to understand the language makes her able to perceive the past and the future.
That was, she knew what would happen with her daughter and marriage, but decided to do it anyway.
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II


Return to “Film/Theater/TV/Video/Radio/Podcasts”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest