Holy crap they are everywhere

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Holy crap they are everywhere

Post by Lausten » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Talking to people on forums who believe wacky things is fun. Seeing it in your own town, not so much. I had an old friend visit a couple weeks ago, and he was interested in church, so I went to the one I go to once or twice a year. I know the new pastor, he plays guitar with non-church friends, so I see him at gigs sometimes, he's a pretty nice guy who's politics I agree with and I'm fine with him having whatever motivation for that he has for the work he does.

So, when he had a guest speaker tell her story of how she almost died and went to heaven and talked to God, I was a bit shocked. Yesterday, being a day of community gathering, I bumped into someone else I don't see often and asked him what he thought about that talk. He had an NDE story of someone he knew too. These are people who are respected and I thought were intelligent. Not sure why I'm so surprised, but I am.

What I said to the pastor, and he said he would think about is, either he has to choose an ancient version of his religion and teach that consistently, or, he has to say anything goes, that anyone can come in to his church and tell a god story and we should just accept them. Liberal churches tend to pretend to do the latter while actually doing the former. They can get away with it, but there is always disharmony. It's trying to please everyone, which can only have limited success.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Holy crap they are everywhere

Post by Monster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:33 pm

Talking to people on forums who believe wacky things is fun. Seeing it in your own town, not so much.
I run into people like that too. A woman I met at a dinner recently believes that cancer has been cured long ago, and that big pharmaceutical companies are suppressing the cure to keep making money from the treatment. It was saddening.
either he has to choose an ancient version of his religion and teach that consistently, or, he has to say anything goes,
Why are those the only two choices? I was thinking that a combination of some liberal stuff + some ancient stuff would be a reasonable alternative. Would you consider my additional alternative to just simply be part of the "anything goes" choice? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:44 pm

There is no way to teach Christianity consistently, because the New Testament isn't consistent.
Searchable digital versions of the Bible are the bane of pastors, as anyone can rip anything out of context (Jeff Sessions being a prime offender).
No wonder the Church tried to prevent the translation of the Good Book from Latin. Uploading it has made the problem way worse for the religions.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Monster wrote: Why are those the only two choices? I was thinking that a combination of some liberal stuff + some ancient stuff would be a reasonable alternative. Would you consider my additional alternative to just simply be part of the "anything goes" choice? I'm not sure if I'm being clear.
No, you're clear, and I usually shy away from dichotomies, but I've seen a lot of Christians try to find some other way, and fail.

One way I can accept is to treat the Bible as what it is, a historical document. It is a window into the culture of the time and place it was written. This requires the constraints of scientific fact and the rules of evidence. Whether or not it is wise is a separate issue. Reformed Judaism sort of does this. They tell the stories, but have no attachment to the truth of the characters or events. I don't include an option like this for Christianity, because I think it stops being Christianity if you do it.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:39 pm

scientists---- some who worked for the govt----- verified the reality of Mary and Jesus through remote viewing...they also confirmed many of the apparitions of the Virgin Mary around the world were real events....
Last edited by gorgeous on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 pm

During my recent trip to the US, I spent a few hours with a person I know to be an information surface feeder – and I obtained a top-up on silly and ignorant opinion, across a wide variety of subjects. No need to list them here, but rather I muse as to the how and why a person believes such nonsense when even a cursory investigation would uncover enough evidence to cause a change in opinion. He takes no newspaper, reads no books, is not connected to the internet, and doesn`t even have a working TV these days – but rather spends some time in fast food joints, having breakfast with his friends and gabbing about whatever. Thus any `theory` that helps to explain the world in which they live, no matter fallacious, works just fine and it matters little that they are just wrong. Not that these people are in the majority – but they are still voters, which is somewhat scary.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:58 pm

you will learn of the greater reality...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Yes, gorgon, he was talking about you.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 pm

Nope - contrary to the significant similarities, it wasn`t gorgeous - since quite unfortunately, gorgeous is here on an internet forum. ;)