Rene Salm Demolishes Evidence For Nazareth

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
SEG
Poster
Custom Title: The Deacon of Doubt

Rene Salm Demolishes Evidence For Nazareth

Post by SEG » Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Have a look at the softly spoken Rene Salm and how he takes apart the very weak evidence of a town of Nazareth at the time of Jesus:

In particular, have a look at the "house" they found at around the 30 minute mark.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Rene Salm Demolishes Evidence For Nazareth

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Didn't you already post on this or something close to it? Whatever, but, you're clogging the system. Delete this thread and its dupe and post this video to what you have already posted.

Show some manners....otherwise, you'll end up looking like me..
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm

SEG would have to delete the other of this double posting since no one replied to it yet. This one would end up in your honor, bobbo. :-P

But yeah, opening multiple threads on the same subject is frowned upon. If you just wanted to edit your post, you can use the little pencil icon for that, SEG.
Lard, save me from your followers.

SEG
Poster

Post by SEG » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Didn't you already post on this or something close to it? Whatever, but, you're clogging the system. Delete this thread and its dupe and post this video to what you have already posted.

Sorry, it wasn't done intentionally, my computer slowed down and I thought it was going to crash so I reloaded it. I deleted the other one. All good now? This video is very impotant to the main arguments and is the last made by Salm.
“There are no known non-biblical references to a historical Jesus by any historian or other writer of the time during and shortly after Jesus's purported advent.” His so-called life was a farce.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 18, 2018 9:26 pm

SEG wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Didn't you already post on this or something close to it? Whatever, but, you're clogging the system. Delete this thread and its dupe and post this video to what you have already posted.

Sorry, it wasn't done intentionally, my computer slowed down and I thought it was going to crash so I reloaded it. I deleted the other one. All good now? This video is very impotant to the main arguments and is the last made by Salm.
No probs. It probably wasn't your computer but rather this website. Everyone's computer slowed down to a total stall. This happens about once a year or so. We should all be good for awhile?

I have a basic problem with most such "religious" issues. to me, it simply doesn't matter whether Nazareth existed for real or not, or even a hooman called Jesus. Nothing about either has any evidentiary value as to the existence of god or his nature. So............................who cares!

Same for the ultimate question: does god himself exist? and to that I say: who cares. If he does, he's nothing like anything that has been described. And whether that is true or not........who cares? If god does exist, however he exists.....I ask him to simply leave me alone. "Anti-theist." I don't care if he loves me or hates me: just leave me alone. And to the degree he does not....them he is just like any other tyrant or bully. It makes 99.99% of issues go away. Like this one.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

SEG
Poster

Post by SEG » Fri May 18, 2018 10:24 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:No probs. It probably wasn't your computer but rather this website. Everyone's computer slowed down to a total stall. This happens about once a year or so. We should all be good for awhile?
Thanks, that's good to know. I am getting my PC upgraded and I have a loan comp that I have other issues with.
I have a basic problem with most such "religious" issues. to me, it simply doesn't matter whether Nazareth existed for real or not, or even a hooman called Jesus. Nothing about either has any evidentiary value as to the existence of god or his nature. So............................who cares!
Ok, I get that, other atheists have come up with the same complaint. Who needs additional evangelising, the Christians are bad enough! The reason I care is that I care about the truth being told. It annoys me that someone like Ehrman, who usually writes very well and logically, actually agrees about these things with the Christian apologists!

They of course lap it up and use his statements like, "The reality is that whatever else you may think about Jesus, he certainly did exist." as proof that their son of God existed in history.
Same for the ultimate question: does god himself exist? and to that I say: who cares. If he does, he's nothing like anything that has been described. And whether that is true or not........who cares? If god does exist, however he exists.....I ask him to simply leave me alone. "Anti-theist." I don't care if he loves me or hates me: just leave me alone. And to the degree he does not....them he is just like any other tyrant or bully. It makes 99.99% of issues go away. Like this one.
The other thing is the HUGE Christian pilgrimage and their tourist industry. They take their kids along to all the places where their make believe characters once stood, lived and worshiped their imaginary god in his imaginary birthplace.

Could you do me a huge favour and review Salm's video to see if there are any flaws in it? I don't like how people rubbish him without even knowing what his arguments are, and whether or not they are valid.