Being that it's Easter, I have an idea about the Resurrection of Christ.

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
KevinLevites
Poster

Being that it's Easter, I have an idea about the Resurrection of Christ.

Postby KevinLevites » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi guys.

I've seen no end of speculation about the miracles that happened in the Bible.

In order to explain the Resurrection of Christ, has anyone proposed the idea that He (they?) might have been identical twins?

It seems to me that the birth of identical twins would, in itself, seem a little miraculous.

Also (and this will rub people the wrong way), suppose that Mary was a prostitute (or, possibly, a rape victim), and the miraculous virgin birth was used to protect her (and her kids), and cover for her indiscretion...with Joseph being someone who took her in...either out of pity and/or love.

I find it interesting that Mary is not only the name of Jesus' mother, but also the name of a prostitute that Jesus intervenes to save from stoning. This, perhaps, implies a prior relationship.

Is it all that much of a stretch to imagine twin brothers becoming reformed rabbis who use their identical looks and mannerisms to create the appearance of miracles like rising from the dead, or seeming to be in two places at once?

Identical twins have been doing these things like this...well...probably the stone age.

What are your thoughts?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: Being that it's Easter, I have an idea about the Resurrection of Christ.

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 pm

First it needs to be established that such a figure (or two) even existed. Then it needs to be remembered that the OT story never mentions a virgin but only a "young woman". The NT testament appears to be a fable built onto an older fable by people who didn't really speak the language.

Lard, save me from your followers.

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 pm

I understand, and I see your point.

I believe that it's likely (but not certain) that Jesus existed, but I think he was a reformed rabbi who had a lot of charisma, and founded a cult.

My only point is that the idea that Jesus were actually twin brothers would explain a lot if we take much (but not all) of the N.T. at face value.

Twins...with a little embellishment later.

I was just asking if anyone can point me toward a source where this idea may have been looked at. It seems too obvious to be original with me.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:24 pm

maybe clones
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:30 pm

fyi....the greys resurrected Whitley Strieber's cat on the ship....he brought the cat with him, they pressed a disk against the cat's neck, killing him, after the abduction they brought the cat back to life....the cat was in shock for days...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 pm

lotsa resurrections....maybe any human or alien can do it.... wiki---- The Qur'an emphasizes bodily resurrection, a break from the pre-Islamic Arabian understanding of death.[17]

Judaism and Samaritanism[edit]

Main article: Jewish eschatology

There are three explicit examples in the Hebrew Bible of people being resurrected from the dead:
The prophet Elijah prays and God raises a young boy from death (1 Kings 17:17-24)
Elisha raises the son of the Shunammite woman (2 Kings 4:32-37); this was the very same child whose birth he previously foretold (2 Kings 4:8-16)
A dead man's body that was thrown into the dead Elisha's tomb is resurrected when the body touches Elisha's bones (2 Kings 13:21)
-------------------Zen Buddhism[edit]

There are stories in Buddhism where the power of resurrection was allegedly demonstrated in Chan or Zen tradition. One is the legend of Bodhidharma, the Indian master who brought the Ekayana school of India to China that subsequently became Chan Buddhism.
---------------One major folklore is that of Savitri saving her husbands life from Yamraj. In the Ramayana after Ravana was slayed by Rama in a great battle between good and evil, Rama requests the king of Gods Indra to restore the lives of all the monkeys who died in the great battle.---------------------In his book Mind Children, roboticist Hans Moravec proposed that a future supercomputer might be able to resurrect long-dead minds from the information that still survived. For example, this information can be in the form of memories, filmstrips, medical records, and DNA.[37][38]

Ray Kurzweil, American inventor and futurist, believes that when his concept of singularity comes to pass, it will be possible to resurrect the dead by digital recreation.[
-----------Apollonius of Tyana also did miracles and rose. What about him ...

https://carm.org/apollonius-tyana-also- ... -about-him

by Matt Slick. Apollonius of Tyana (a city south of Turkey) is sometimes offered as a challenge to the uniqueness of Jesus Christ. It is said that Apollonius, who lived in the first century, also performed miracles, had disciples, died, and appeared after his death the same as Jesus

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:49 pm

georgie (assuming there's something to work with) what does it tell you that your resurrection happened on April 1st?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:40 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:The NT testament

The what what? :?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:41 pm

KevinLevites wrote:Hi guys.

In order to explain the Resurrection of Christ, has anyone proposed the idea that He (they?) might have been identical twins?

It seems to me that the birth of identical twins would, in itself, seem a little miraculous.

Also (and this will rub people the wrong way), suppose that Mary was a prostitute (or, possibly, a rape victim), and the miraculous virgin birth was used to protect her (and her kids), and cover for her indiscretion...with Joseph being someone who took her in...either out of pity and/or love.

I find it interesting that Mary is not only the name of Jesus' mother, but also the name of a prostitute that Jesus intervenes to save from stoning. This, perhaps, implies a prior relationship.

Is it all that much of a stretch to imagine twin brothers becoming reformed rabbis who use their identical looks and mannerisms to create the appearance of miracles like rising from the dead, or seeming to be in two places at once?

Identical twins have been doing these things like this...well...probably the stone age.

What are your thoughts?

Massive complication to a stupid story.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:55 am

Gord wrote:

The that that. :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:00 am

I thought the latest thinking on point was that Jesus was totally made up? At best, an amalgamation of several of the self proclaimed messiahs, priests/rabbis, and con artists of the day. AKA: as manufactured as the Bible is.

Whats actually more interesting is why you want to layer on some level of rationality onto a a fairy tale. Twin births or even a close brother got missed? Does show the POWER OF SCIENCE though: every faker trying to make their con as believable as possible. Amusingly with the Testament of the NT Testament.....its not believable ON ITS FACE, twins or not.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:25 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote:

The that that. :roll:

Is it the New Testament testament? I hear there's been a new testament made about it -- the new New Testament testament testament.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:34 am

it's pretty obvious that Jesus' cross had a false bottom.
"'I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I promise I won't do it again."
- Daddy Pig

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am

ElectricMonk wrote:it's pretty obvious that Jesus' cross had a false bottom.

He padded his butt?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:43 pm

KevinLevites wrote:Hi guys.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that you're a complete idiot, and it's miraculous that you can remember to breathe at regular intervals. But don't let that stop you from burbling. I find it interesting that I've known several Kevins in my longish life - and they were all a couple of wings short of a fairy. I know this is me going out on a wing - but have you actually read sources other than the bible, Kevin? In fact, have you ever read the bible?

"I find it interesting that Mary is not only the name of Jesus' mother, but also the name of a prostitute that Jesus intervenes to save from stoning. This, perhaps, implies a prior relationship." (Ooh, look - I found a couple of Mary people). Do you not also find it strange that there were several Matthews (and I deem it necessary to tell you that there's one of them here. Strange, eh?). Why restrict yourself to the bible, Kevin? Have you read the Dead Sea scrolls? Have you read the Nag Hammadi texts? That's a big no, isn't it? You read one heavily edited collection of texts and think you can find themes. Well, you can, Kevin. You find the themes that were developed solely for people like you.

I'm possibly being unfair to you, Kevin. No, really - it's possible. So argue, if you like - but please use your OWN arguments rather than internet memes, and I'll give you a more moderate reply.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:39 pm

HEY!!!!---My mother's name is Mary. I don't like where this discussion is going.......

Ha, ha....here is what a heathen I am. I was a work one day and a Caucasian woman was introduced to me as Naomi and I said: "Gee, you don't look Japanese to me. How did you get that name?" I think she mumbled something and that was the end of that. Later in the day, recounting the exchange, someone told me Naomi was a well known person in the Bible. I said I grew up in Japan and lots of women there were named Naomi. Its only now I wonder how many "disputes" in Japan were not because we were the occupying winners of the War but rather because we were Godless Heathens to those who had been converted?

Religion....... always fun.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:03 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I thought the latest thinking on point was that Jesus was totally made up? At best, an amalgamation of several of the self proclaimed messiahs, priests/rabbis, and con artists of the day. AKA: as manufactured as the Bible is.

Whats actually more interesting is why you want to layer on some level of rationality onto a a fairy tale. Twin births or even a close brother got missed? Does show the POWER OF SCIENCE though: every faker trying to make their con as believable as possible. Amusingly with the Testament of the NT Testament.....its not believable ON ITS FACE, twins or not.

Ok.

I was just suggesting an idea. I get your point that it's no more important to rationalize the New Testament than it is to rationalize Pinnochio or Paul Bunyon.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:22 pm

I apologise, Kevin. That was far too harsh. Please water it down by about 50%.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 pm

In the real world, if Mary got knocked up and tried to explain to hubby, Joe, about this immaculate conception BS, Joe would have Mar stand in a hole, bury her past her tits, and the whole fam would have had a gay old time hitting her in the {!#%@} face with rocks until she was dead. And that would have been that.

Happy late Easter!
trump is Putin's bitch

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Postby Lausten » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Poodle wrote:I apologise, Kevin. That was far too harsh. Please water it down by about 50%.

I thought you went easy on him. That kind of reasoning is what brought us PizzaGate and Donald Trump. It's the easy mixing of any two or three random facts and thinking you have an actual theory. It should be ridiculed at every convenience.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”