This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

General discussion on the subject of religion, losing religion, and having no religion to lose...
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:29 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:I think she might be quite young as compare to you and I. That or just not bright enough to know how to dialog properly.
I think this is just a case of another Christian spamming about God, who gets no attention on Christian forums so she spams her religious crap here, on a science forum, where she gets attention. She's exactly the same as Gorgeous, the Trump fans and the holocaust deniers.

Gnostic Bishop
Poster

Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:05 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:I think she might be quite young as compare to you and I. That or just not bright enough to know how to dialog properly.
I think this is just a case of another Christian spamming about God, who gets no attention on Christian forums so she spams her religious crap here, on a science forum, where she gets attention. She's exactly the same as Gorgeous, the Trump fans and the holocaust deniers.

I hear you and do not disagree.

Then again, it is healthy for the lurkers to see their inadequacies as it bolster the more intelligent and logical views.

They think they are helping their cause while hurting it.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:36 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:They think they are helping their cause while hurting it.
I don't think the member "Angel" cares about anyone else other than "Angel". My cat knows more about Bible than Angel.

It's pure and simple trolling to get personal attention. At school she would have been in class, making farting noises to get attention.
:D

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Angel wrote:Have you ever experienced ~ when something speaks to you? Then you just had to have it. I am like that with knowledge and words.
In reality, you can't spell basic word like "whether" and your posts are incoherent and make no sense.

Angel wrote:I find knowledge in the bible when read either way as I am able & willing to adapt.

What knowledge did you gain from the Bible concerning your "God" killing all innocent children in the flood? Would that be How to commit genocide? :lol:

Have you even read the bible?
*~ •~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*~•~*
Gospel = good news

At birth u r given a note and a song.
The letters raised make notes.
These notes make sounds .
Look at the bible flat open ~
can u see the letters/notes rising?

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:They think they are helping their cause while hurting it.
I don't think the member "Angel" cares about anyone else other than "Angel". My cat knows more about Bible than Angel.

It's pure and simple trolling to get personal attention. At school she would have been in class, making farting noises to get attention.
:D

Your absence of mind leaves me with
nothing to read. LoL
Gospel = good news

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:M E

+ 1

I think she might be quite young as compare to you and I.

That or just not bright enough to know how to dialog properly.

Regards
DL

I sure hope so!!!!
Gospel = good news

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Angel wrote:
Angel wrote:I find knowledge in the bible when read either way as I am able & willing to adapt.
Matthew Ellard wrote:What knowledge did you gain from the Bible concerning your "God" killing all innocent children in the flood? Would that be How to commit genocide? :lol:

Angel, among those who discuss those texts here, you might find more that actually have read - if not in depth studied - them than in any church group or among those who'd beat down your door using that book...

Gnostic Bishop
Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Angel wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:What knowledge did you gain from the Bible concerning your "God" killing all innocent children in the flood? Would that be How to commit genocide? :lol:

Angel, among those who discuss those texts here, you might find more that actually have read - if not in depth studied - them than in any church group or among those who'd beat down your door using that book...

Which bible. There are quite the number of Christian sects and they all read their bible differently be they the same one or not.

As with slavery, some get a go ahead from scriptures while other see anti-slavery.

Some Christian sects say that gays and women are all equal to everyone else while most sects are homophobic and misogynous.

Regards
DL

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Angel wrote:

Which bible. There are quite the number of Christian sects and they all read their bible differently be they the same one or not.

As with slavery, some get a go ahead from scriptures while other see anti-slavery.

Some Christian sects say that gays and women are all equal to everyone else while most sects are homophobic and misogynous.

Regards
DL

I didn't specify any single one since, to the best of my knowledge, those who study that subject earnestly don't adhere to one interpretation but look at all available copies, unless they're taking an interest in one specific version and its history.

As for me, just the fact alone that at some time some decided to combine the mishmash into an even more contradictory version (and even now make changes as discoveries or want and need suit), simply cracks me up to no end...

I understand that you think highly of the teachings you considered valid. I, otoh, find all of it an often amusing and at other times horrifying example of human thought, frailty and uncertainty and inventiveness. To allay fears, or to lift oneself up to special status...

Gnostic Bishop
Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:58 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Angel wrote:

Regards
DL

I didn't specify any single one since, to the best of my knowledge, those who study that subject earnestly don't adhere to one interpretation but look at all available copies, unless they're taking an interest in one specific version and its history.

As for me, just the fact alone that at some time some decided to combine the mishmash into an even more contradictory version (and even now make changes as discoveries or want and need suit), simply cracks me up to no end...

I understand that you think highly of the teachings you considered valid. I, otoh, find all of it an often amusing and at other times horrifying example of human thought, frailty and uncertainty and inventiveness. To allay fears, or to lift oneself up to special status...

I do think highly of those teachings I have embraced, no argument, but as an Gnostic Christian and free thinkers and esoteric ecumenists who is always seeking God, God as defined as the best rules and laws to live life by, I am always ready to drop an inferior law to a superior one.

I think it healthy to let my thinking evolve along with the rest of the world. Even after my apotheosis, I set aside the God I found, raised the bar of excellence and seek anew.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:14 pm

Angel wrote:Have you even read the bible?
Yes. That is how I knew you were making up stories from the Bible that weren't actually in it. :lol:

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:57 am

On the subject of slavery --

Old Testament:
Permitted. Ordained by God.
Carefully regulated, never permanent or hereditary, so not as bad as Roman or ante-bellum USA slavery.

New Testament:
Just assumes Roman style slavery exists (without explicitly saying ordained by God) and tells masters and slaves how to behave.
1) Be a nice master.
2) Be an obedient slave, but not when it comes to violating religious morality.

Not all that "revolutionary" from the point of view of the time, let alone now.

Take THAT, liberal Christians. :pr:
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:42 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Angel wrote:

Honestly that's what I was hoping but I have
yet to see proof.
Gospel = good news

Angel
Frequent Poster

Postby Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:44 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:
Angel wrote:

Regards
DL

I accept input from all sides so I can
draw patterns.
Gospel = good news

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Re: God does not live by his own golden rule.

Postby Lausten » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Lausten wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
If you are not going to read scriptures literally, then there is no God or Jesus either.

And if you are going to read the scriptures literally enough to believe in a real Jesus, then you have to indicate how much of the bible to scrap and how much is truth.

Good luck with that kind of chintzy apologetics.

Regards
DL

Just what does "read the scriptures literally" mean anyway? I can see some simple answers, like it literally means God created the world in 6 days. But you run into trouble on page 2 with a slightly different creation story. Or if you take the 683 laws literally, how do you handle the contradictions, not to mention the various covenants, however many there are. And there are no literal instructions for getting to heaven.

I like Majid Nawaaz's term "vacuous" reading. It implies that you are reading an isolated passage with no sense of the context, not even of the other canonical scripture that came before it, let alone the historical context, the translations, the copy errors, etc.

I hear you.

I think that vacuous reading are good words to describe what believers are doing when reading their holy books.

Regards
DL

I was describing what you do.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “The Letting Go of God Forum”