Fairies and Trolls

Have you got a helpful suggestion for our show or for these forums?
munsterspeek

Fairies and Trolls

Postby munsterspeek » Wed May 16, 2012 3:37 am

fairies are pretty interesting, and the real legends of redcaps and such can be quite monstrous. I think that while it's probably easy to dismiss these things as being totally archaic beliefs, it would be good to recognize some people really do believe in fairy tails today, literally, and historically the beliefs have had huge power.

Plus it's always interesting to me how much these tales line up with the tails of modern crypt-ids.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Fairies and Trolls

Postby Gord » Thu May 17, 2012 12:22 pm

I love fairies, but trolls can just eat me.

Fairy lore is fascinating. I've been rereading Katharine Briggs' The Anatomy of Puck. Awesome stuff. I love figuring out where things come from.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

munsterspeek

Postby munsterspeek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:00 am

Gord wrote:I love fairies, but trolls can just eat me.

Fairy lore is fascinating. I've been rereading Katharine Briggs' The Anatomy of Puck. Awesome stuff. I love figuring out where things come from.

That book sounds cool, that will definitely go on the reading list. Thanks for the tip.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:40 am

~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:22 am

bigtim wrote:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Saw it. Entertaining as all get-out.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 am

Fairies bad. Not good. Go around... Bad fairies.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

munsterspeek

Postby munsterspeek » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:25 am

bigtim wrote:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

I love this film, it's like the Blair Witch mixed with Cloverfield and Max Magnus http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029235/, only better than that sounds.

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Postby Bunyip » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am

munsterspeek wrote:fairies are pretty interesting, and the real legends of redcaps and such can be quite monstrous. I think that while it's probably easy to dismiss these things as being totally archaic beliefs, it would be good to recognize some people really do believe in fairy tails today, literally, and historically the beliefs have had huge power.

Plus it's always interesting to me how much these tales line up with the tails of modern crypt-ids.

Indeed, fascinating mythology.

My favourite is "The Cottingley Fairies" hoax in which thousands of people believed at the time,including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. (photo of fairies with link)

The Cottingley Fairies appear in a series of five photographs taken by Elsie Wright and Frances Griffiths, two young cousins who lived in Cottingley, near Bradford in England. In 1917, when the first two photographs were taken, Elsie was 16 years old and Frances was 10. The pictures came to the attention of writer Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who used them to illustrate an article on fairies he had been commissioned to write for the Christmas 1920 edition of The Strand Magazine. Conan Doyle, as a spiritualist, was enthusiastic about the photographs, and interpreted them as clear and visible evidence of psychic phenomena. Public reaction was mixed; some accepted the images as genuine, but others believed they had been faked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottingley_Fairies

When traveling around Ireland., I met several men who swore they had seen a leprechaun. Same circumstances for each; late at night,whilst weaving home from the pub. ;)
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

munsterspeek

Postby munsterspeek » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 pm

When traveling around Ireland., I met several men who swore they had seen a leprechaun. Same circumstances for each; late at night,whilst weaving home from the pub. ;)

It's not just on the auld sod anymore... they are here.

http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/06/maraudi ... -the-loose

justinrapper
BANNED

Postby justinrapper » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:41 pm

There are a lot of benefits of fairy tales in early childhood development. It only becomes a problem when adults cannot let go of their favorite fairies and childhood fantasies. So instead of them being creative outlets they become morbid obsessions.
The question is, are these childhood excursions into fantasy land worse than the adult obsession developed from other sources which are more violent and destructive in nature?

Return to “MonsterTalk Suggestions”