Who, WHAT, Where, How and Why?

Have you got a helpful suggestion for our show or for these forums?
maxjacob

Who, WHAT, Where, How and Why?

Postby maxjacob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 pm

This is just a suggestion from a new listener, based on my own experience.

I've found that, in listening to your episodes, I often have to pause near the beginning (or even 10 minutes in) to go to Wikipedia or YouTube to try to figure out WHAT you're talking about, haha! Maybe most of your listeners are better versed in cryptozoology or more familiar with the hot news in recent sightings or whatever, but it just seems to me that -- given the length of your episodes -- it wouldn't be too hard for you to take 2 minutes to describe WHAT a thylacene is, for example, whether it is (or was) a real thing, or maybe explain the mammoth video to those of us (maybe just me?) who haven't seen it? I remember being a little frustrated that you were talking about the iceland water-serpent video, for instance, as if your listeners had not only seen it, but knew that it had been (or not?) explained.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I just thought you might like this little bit of feedback from someone with a casual interest in the topic, since I've noticed this (me pausing and running to wikipedia) happens with almost every episode. I really enjoy the show, and I hope this is constructive feedback!

Nessie
Veteran Poster

Re: Who, WHAT, Where, How and Why?

Postby Nessie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:45 am

Hi maxjacob and welcome to the forum. I had to do the same and still do to a lesser extent and refer to other info to follow what was going on in various threads. But I like that feeling I am really learning something and finding out myself, rather than being spoon fed.

Stopping and going to other sources is also what a true sceptic does, he/she checks stuff out, so you are starting as a true sceptic :D
Audiophile, motorbiker and sceptic.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Nessie wrote:I had to do the same and still do to a lesser extent and refer to other info to follow what was going on in various threads.

Just an FYI: You've wandered into the MonsterTalk forums, Nessie. Maxjacob is referring specifically to the MonsterTalk podcasts ('m guessing the ThylaCinema and Nocturnal Submissions episode). (I figure you probably know this already, but I'm just making sure.)

More info available at, for instance: http://monstertalk.skeptic.com/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nessie
Veteran Poster

Postby Nessie » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:04 pm

I think the principle applies whether no matter what. I have paused stuff on TV and had a quick internet search to check to see if there is supporting evidence or if I suspect what I have seen is wrong.
Audiophile, motorbiker and sceptic.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Postby vanderpoel » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Maxjacob, welcome in da heezy fo' sheezy.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

SotF

Postby SotF » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:51 pm

I kind of agree, a short primer on the cryptid in question seems like it would be rather useful and you aren't always in a place where you can stop and look things up.

For example, I tend to burn the episodes onto a CD so I can listen on my car stereo during the trips I keep getting stuck taking. I don't have a smartphone, and stopping somewhere and digging out my Nook or laptop to search on something when I don't always have the spelling of the thing available is not something I really have the time to do at that point.

Of course, it might be interesting to have a "sub-series" that is just a couple minute long descriptions of what various creatures are.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: The Hyphenator

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:00 am

Nessie wrote:I think the principle applies whether no matter what. I have paused stuff on TV and had a quick internet search to check to see if there is supporting evidence or if I suspect what I have seen is wrong.

I used to do the same when reading, keep a dictionary on the bedside table and look up new words I found.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Return to “MonsterTalk Suggestions”