The Mongolian Man-Beat (Almas)

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
Dragon Slayer

The Mongolian Man-Beat (Almas)

Postby Dragon Slayer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:12 am

I signed up on this forum to see if anyone else has any interest in the Mongolian version of the Yeti called the almas. I spent time in the mid-1990s in Mongolia doing a little research on it. To cut to the chase, there's no solid evidence for it, and the smart money would be that it's a combination of imported stories from the Himalayas and local sightings of bears.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: The Mongolian Man-Beat (Almas)

Postby fromthehills » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I thought this was going to be about a new Reggae album.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:48 pm

fromthehills wrote:I thought this was going to be about a new Reggae album.

Not new, but there is an old Reggae album by Peter Tosh that includes this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TArYIX-Wjw&index=101&list=AL94UKMTqg-9C3nm41WbddIhKh0JJBLyYd

But I should practicing reading more carefully, too..

I actually thought there was going to be yet another lively discussion here, this time on a subject one might actually be able to sink one's teeth into: Mongolian barbecue..
Which IS one of the overlooked gastronomical treats ever… the very best of it smuggled into the U.S. by Mongol hordes, and available as is everything foreign, insidious and subversive in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco (an/or wherever really exotic creatures are always to be glimpsed in the streets, if one only cares to look).

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Postby octopus1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Charlton "Almas" Heston

"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Dragon Slayer

Postby Dragon Slayer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:39 am

Gee, can't a chap have a serious discussion about Mongolian Men-Beasts around here. :)

Just to get things straight, I'm not a believer, just an interested skeptic.

I don't even believe in the existence of Mongolian Barbecue (well, in Mongolia anyways).

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 am

Dragon Slayer wrote:Gee, can't a chap have a serious discussion about Mongolian Men-Beasts around here. :)

I don't even believe in the existence of Mongolian Barbecue (well, in Mongolia anyways).

It's difficult to get all fired up about something as globally ubiquitous as this.

Some people might suggest that the prevalence of these things around the World, from the Americas to Africa, to Asia (Even in my little neck of the woods, we have the myth of the "Brenin Llwyd", which is precisely the same idea as Yeti, Almas, Sasquatch etc.) makes them more plausible.

I take a different view. That these things are sighted, or allegedly sighted, pretty much wherever anyone has eyes means that they're ingrained in our psychological makeup. Like Earth-visiting aliens and ghosts and whatever else one cares to mention.

It's not that these "shared experiences" make us human, it's that they're just a part of what makes us.

Some will call the believers 'stupid'. I'm as guilty as anyone else of doing that. What if it was more complex than that? What if it's more like 'fragility'?

I dunno, maybe I'm being uncharacteristically sentimental :lol:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 pm

I saw a tree stump once that wasn't a bear or a bigfoot or a deer. There was a terribly long discussion about it in hushed voices among the people around me. Eventually they all followed me across the field and watched me smack the tree stump with my hand. Oddly enough, they were more disappointed in my attitude than in the fact that it was just a tree stump.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Dragon Slayer

Postby Dragon Slayer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:33 am

octopus1 wrote:
Dragon Slayer wrote:Gee, can't a chap have a serious discussion about Mongolian Men-Beasts around here. :)

It's difficult to get all fired up about something as globally ubiquitous as this.

Some people might suggest that the prevalence of these things around the World, from the Americas to Africa, to Asia (Even in my little neck of the woods, we have the myth of the "Brenin Llwyd", which is precisely the same idea as Yeti, Almas, Sasquatch etc.) makes them more plausible.

I take a different view. That these things are sighted, or allegedly sighted, pretty much wherever anyone has eyes means that they're ingrained in our psychological makeup. Like Earth-visiting aliens and ghosts and whatever else one cares to mention.

It's not that these "shared experiences" make us human, it's that they're just a part of what makes us.

Some will call the believers 'stupid'. I'm as guilty as anyone else of doing that. What if it was more complex than that? What if it's more like 'fragility'?

Yes, good points about the universiality of these legends, but I find them interesting in a puzzle-solving kind of way. The Mongolian Almas for example is closely tied in with Mongolia's close relationship with Tibet. Many Mongols made the pilgrimage to Lhasa and it's from these pilgrims that we see some of the stories come into Mongolia.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster

Postby octopus1 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 am

Dragon Slayer wrote:
octopus1 wrote:

Yes, good points about the universiality of these legends, but I find them interesting in a puzzle-solving kind of way. The Mongolian Almas for example is closely tied in with Mongolia's close relationship with Tibet. Many Mongols made the pilgrimage to Lhasa and it's from these pilgrims that we see some of the stories come into Mongolia.

A TV show was mentioned here a while ago, "10 Million Dollar Bigfoot Bounty". Did I watch it because I was expecting them to find anything? Nah. Did I watch it because of the human drama and comic value? Yup!

While they're looking out into the forest, I'm sneaking looks at them. They're by far the more interesting specimens and at least they're real :P

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Dragon Slayer wrote:I signed up on this forum to see if anyone else has any interest in the Mongolian version of the Yeti called the almas. I spent time in the mid-1990s in Mongolia doing a little research on it. To cut to the chase, there's no solid evidence for it, and the smart money would be that it's a combination of imported stories from the Himalayas and local sightings of bears.

Sorry, my spirit guide has advised me that they were all killed by the Mongolian Death Worms.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:57 pm

Gord wrote:Oddly enough, they were more disappointed in my attitude than in the fact that it was just a tree stump.

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:45 pm

That and I was yelling "IT'S A {!#%@} TREE STUMP YOU IDIOTS!"
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:16 pm

Gord wrote:I saw a tree stump once that wasn't a bear or a bigfoot or a deer. There was a terribly long discussion about it in hushed voices among the people around me. Eventually they all followed me across the field and watched me smack the tree stump with my hand. Oddly enough, they were more disappointed in my attitude than in the fact that it was just a tree stump.

It was your disbelief that changed it from a bigfoot into a tree stump.

“Every time you say you don't believe in fairies, a fairy dies.” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:14 am

Every time you pick your nose, Santa kills an elf.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Therefore the Mongolian man-beast exists.

'S'easy.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 pm

I booed, but the fairy still came back to life: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... YouBelieve
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Monster News”