The Mothman - the passing of the 1st generation

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

The Mothman - the passing of the 1st generation

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 am

In a lengthy post today Loren Coleman reports on the death of Marcella Bennett (who passed away in March a few months shy of her 70th birthday). This comes soon after the report of the passing of the author who brought Mothman fame - the late John Keel.

In case your first exposure to The Mothman is this post, let me give you a brief synopsis of the story: Starting in 1966, witnesses in Point Pleasant West Virginia started reporting a strange flying humanoid with huge red eyes. The number of people "formally" reporting having seen the creature is small, but the sightings stopped for the most part after the December 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge - which killed 46 people. Author Keel, in his book The Mothman Prophecies, implied the creature was a harbinger of disaster. (Read more at the Wikipedia article.)

Joe Nickell feels the most likely suspect for the "truth" behind the events is that the witnesses were seeing a large owl. Apparently this breed's eyes will glow red if illuminated by lights at night due to reflections off heavily vascularized regions.
BarnOwl_1.jpg

mothman.jpg

But back to today's post by Coleman. Loren goes on to recount the deaths of witnesses around the time of the release of the motion picture "based" on Keel's book. And while it is easy to draw correllations like that in an essay, I don't think the data is all that interesting. Elderly people dying, while sad, is hardly mysterious. And the human mind is capable of trying to find patterns in very random data. That's what this seems to be to me.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if Loren's loose conjecture leads to a future where people refer to "the curse of The Mothman" in the same way they erroneously claim there was a curse on King Tut's tomb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Re: The Mothman - the passing of the 1st generation

Post by idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 am

Agreed. I thought Joe's expose was very convincing. I'd be freaked out if I saw a large owl too. I think similar stories have occurred with the Jersey Devil sightings where a "bird-like" think swoops at people. Gee, perhaps its a bird.

Loren's Mysterious America is full of such artificial pattern-seeking nonsense having to do with names and evil associations. People buy into that kind of stuff. That's partly why he's credibility is nil with me.

Karl
Custom Title: Mr. Common Sense

Re: The Mothman - the passing of the 1st generation

Post by Karl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 am

Without sensationalism, cryptozoology would all but disappear.
I probably don't believe you.