Sea Serpents

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Sea Serpents

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:07 am

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, the ocean is big. Really big. You may think the lake down the road is a large body of water but it's Uncle Ernie's Denture Glass compared to the Ocean.

In the history of the sea come many legends of mysterious animals. Some of them are pure fantasy, some are misidentified animals and some may be a mix of both. My recent discussion on lake monsters made me go back and look for some examples of animals that might represent sea serpents. Not "Sea Monsters" - that's a huge category of creatures. Just "Sea Serpents."

#1 - The Oarfish
The oarfish is a big fish that has a long body and a red frill along the back. It does resemble a Chinese Dragon, or a long snake-like animal. They are rarely seen at the surface.
http://www.youtube.com/v/gUaL6hHluZ8&hl=en&fs=1&

#2 - Otters
Do sea otters travel in a line like lake otters do? I don't know and need to look into the matter. When they do this behavior in lakes it does look like an undulating animal of incredible length is moving through the water.
http://www.youtube.com/v/m2fuBhISQ1g&hl=en&fs=1&

#3 - Frilled Shark
These rare animals look like a lot like what I think sea-serpents "ought" to look like based on old drawings - but we don't know how big they get and they're quite rare these days.
http://www.youtube.com/v/mneDhOtVEQw&hl=en&fs=1&

Do you know some animals that could fit the bill for "Sea Serpent?" Let's share data.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Re: Sea Serpents

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

I'm partial to eels. I know they don't swim up and down, just side to side.

I would recommend The Great New England Sea Serpent by O'Neill. I read this one summer while sitting on a balcony overlooking the Atlantic. It made the book feel more real. And, I thought it was a quality book anyway.

Oh, and Oudeman's The Great Sea-Serpent, available here http://web.archive.org/web/200512211529 ... rpent.html

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

idoubtit wrote:I'm partial to eels. I know they don't swim up and down, just side to side.

I haven't found any fish or snakes that swim up and down (I think it's called 'dorsally'?) vs. side-to-side (laterally). Doesn't mean there aren't any - just none I've read about.

Eels is a good one. I wonder what the biggest eel ever found was?

Karl
Custom Title: Mr. Common Sense

Postby Karl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

My hopes for large (non-airbreathing) undiscovered creatures lie in our vast, mysterious oceans. They're not great hopes, but I suppose I should believe in something.

I don't know the size for a record eel, but I'm willing to wager that there are freaks of nature out there that would be pretty impressive. Of course freaks of nature in the oceans wouldn't be new species, but they'd be sea monsters nonetheless.
I probably don't believe you.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Postby idoubtit » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

I didn't think it's possible for fish to swim up-down - they have not evolved forms that do that. The skeletal features are fixed to move side-to-side. Unless you are a flounder and now your left and right has become your top and bottom. I shall consult some references...

Return to “Monster News”