The Cosby verdict

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Roger Willco Overnout

The Cosby verdict

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:32 am

How the mighty are fallen. Who could have imagined that the hero of "I Spy" who became an entire industry in himself (author, actor, general celebrity) was, all the time, raping one woman after another? Sixty (!!) accusers. I feel sorry for them, as this must be a life-changing trauma for each one. I also feel sorry for all the people who portrayed various members of the Huxtable family, or provided the voices for Fat Albert and his friends. On the purely economic level, they have suffered a major loss of residuals, and (far worse) now have to deal with the fact that they were close to this monster. There is no doubt that in his public persona, Cosby did a lot of good. But nothing can redeem the vileness of his private life.
"The Nazis came very close to fulfilling their plan to exterminate an entire people. They were defeated in this regard, not because people awoke to the evil of their purposes, but because the national interests of the Allies themselves were threatened."

Joshua Chasan, "Religion and the Holocaust" in: The Holocaust: Introductory Essays (1996)

Io
Poster

Re: The Cosby verdict

Postby Io » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Like an American Jimmy Savile. Except that Savile was always creepy. And was dead before the full truth started to come out. He got away with it.
Doesn't really help the victims much, but at least Cosby gets punished.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Cosby will be doing a show from prison soon, "Witnesses say the darnedest things."
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:04 pm

there were still black women who don't believe he's guilty and feel he was set up....others say he's too old for prison....not me...only recently many black people finally believe O.J. was guilty...soo...maybe 20 years from now they'll believe cosby is guilty...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:12 pm

kera news----Supermodel Beverly Johnson said her reluctance to come forward as an accuser was tied to her allegiance to African-Americans and a disinclination to hurt a member of her community.------------------------Many black women felt this way....they worship black males no matter what crimes they commit......the men will say to the women when trying to get sex "won't you help a black man out" as Mike Tyson has said...it would often work on black women...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:55 pm

Yeah well too bad for Cosby, who admitted in depositions that he bought drugs for the express purpose of giving them to women for sexual encounters.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Yeah well too bad for Cosby, who admitted in depositions that he bought drugs for the express purpose of giving them to women for sexual encounters.

He was obviously in on the conspiracy to make him look bad.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 pm

Just to be a contrarian: SIXTY WOMEN? And it takes 50 years for the rape charge to finally get acted on? Its not actually "relevant" but I have to think not every woman raped "really cares." Some dates are better than others. Certainly not the worst thing that can happen when you go back in 3 or 4 more times. Of course, many of the victims are purely that and should have been vindicated, and the public protected, much sooner than now.

Weinstein/Cosby==rich, famous, powerful, influential, excess personal charm, lots of access.........not being a contrarian, just myself: if I were a guy in this status, even with my evident lowered sex drive....I'd focus my attentions on those women who were honestly actively interested across the range of other motives they would have? Sex is sex, but even rape has more than sex going on. On balance, I don't "get" how anyone can enjoy the sex when everything else about it would be unsatisfying? Contra: the joy/sense of power gained by being an out and out PREDATOR. I don't take the view that rape is "all about power." Everything is a mix......so there is a tension/balance between sex with its attendant concomitants VS rape with its power/ego components. ..... Gee...I think I did just answer it for myself: rape may have an element of "sex" in it but the balance of interest/motivation is on the power side of the equation. A different dynamic is taking place with Weinstein and Cosby VS those who are not predators.

More contrarianism: how are Cosby and Weinstein different? Cosby deserves jail...not so sure about Weinstein. The cops had the undercover female/victim coercion conversation on tape. Big difference between drugging your victim vs the coercion of "do you want a job." The latter creates civil liability....but normally not criminal. I think that is a correct and valid line to be drawn. Course...if the law were changed to say that coercing a person to have sex as Weinstein clearly did was illegal...I'd have no problem with that. The law makes distinctions. If you don't like the distinction: change the law.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:02 am

Pyrrho wrote:Yeah well too bad for Cosby, who admitted in depositions that he bought drugs for the express purpose of giving them to women for sexual encounters.

I still don't understand this. Did the women know they were taking drugs? Did they do it to "relax"? Were they tricked into it?

It's baffling to me.

Wasn't there a hung jury on this case earlier?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 am

I wonder if he will have access to those drugs while in prison... lady guards beware...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 am

Gord wrote:

I still don't understand this. Did the women know they were taking drugs? Did they do it to "relax"? Were they tricked into it?

It's baffling to me.

What is Rohypnol? Side Effects of Roofies & Date Rape Drugs - Drug ...
https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts ... ypnol.html
Rohypnol is a tranquilizer about ten times more potent than Valium. The drug is available as a white or olive-green pill and is usually sold in the manufacturer's bubble packaging. Users crush the pills and snort the powder, sprinkle it on marijuana and smoke it, dissolve it in a drink or inject it.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 am

gorgeous wrote:there were still black women who don't believe he's guilty and feel he was set up....others say he's too old for prison....not me...only recently many black people finally believe O.J. was guilty...soo...maybe 20 years from now they'll believe cosby is guilty...

True that is. You have to be very patient waiting for some people to be convinced. This is going to be tougher than the OJ verdict, of course, because OJ got acquitted (on his most serious crime, and now he's free again). But Cosby was a genuine hero of mine, an articulate, mature (so I thought) person who as a stand-up comedian refused to do racial humor. I still remember an early TV special on race relations in the US, which he narrated. He seemed to be the kind of outstanding citizen that was needed to break down white prejudice. That role model is a huge loss. Not that any role model should now be needed to do that, given Neil Degrasse Tyson, Barack Obama, Julian Bond, Michael Jordan, Henry Aaron, and other exemplary black celebrities from the last 50 years.
"The Nazis came very close to fulfilling their plan to exterminate an entire people. They were defeated in this regard, not because people awoke to the evil of their purposes, but because the national interests of the Allies themselves were threatened."

Joshua Chasan, "Religion and the Holocaust" in: The Holocaust: Introductory Essays (1996)

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 am

Gord wrote:

It's baffling to me.

In at least one case, the victim thought she was just getting a drink of alcohol, and woke up the next morning at home, with no idea what had happened. Cosby of course denies that anything happened. He claims the others took the drugs knowingly. But really, does anybody believe a woman would voluntarily take a drug, knowing that it would knock her out so her date can do what he wants with her while she's unconscious? In legal Latin, res ipsa loquitur.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:47 am

The case reminds me of the Fatty Arbuckle case (which took place before I was born). Arbuckle was a silent-films actor whose specialty was portraying lecherous "mashers" (as they were then called). At a drunken party, he and a young woman went into a room together and locked the door. A little later, the woman came out saying "He broke me inside." She was taken to the hospital, but died of urine poisoning. Apparently, she engaged (voluntarily) in intercourse with Arbuckle when her bladder was full (always a bad idea), and her bladder ruptured as a result. There was a trial, but Arbuckle was acquitted. Still, that was the end of his career. With that hanging over him, no one wanted to laugh at his portrayals of lechers.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:55 am

Io wrote:Like an American Jimmy Savile. Except that Savile was always creepy. And was dead before the full truth started to come out. He got away with it.
Doesn't really help the victims much, but at least Cosby gets punished.

Savile was a spectacular case, but not much was made of it in the American press. Perhaps because, as you say, he managed to die in bed. It's when iconic figures like him, and like Garrison Keillor in the US, are revealed to have a seamy side that people tend to become cynical. A lot of Americans were shocked that Matt Lauer and Tom Ashbrooke were taken off the air so abruptly, but apparently there were good grounds for doing so. (Not that it's relevant, but I disagree with the many people who thought Ashbrooke was a great radio host. I couldn't stand his manner of asking every question in a mock-awestruck tone, as if he was watching Moses part the Red Sea.)

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

It's baffling to me.

What is Rohypnol? Side Effects of Roofies & Date Rape Drugs - Drug ...
https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts ... ypnol.html
Rohypnol is a tranquilizer about ten times more potent than Valium. The drug is available as a white or olive-green pill and is usually sold in the manufacturer's bubble packaging. Users crush the pills and snort the powder, sprinkle it on marijuana and smoke it, dissolve it in a drink or inject it.

Are you saying it was Rohypnol that Cosby had bought to give to women? 'Cause I never knew what drugs he had bought.

I thought Rohypnol was too new to be one of the drugs available back in Cosby's day?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Valium was available back then, and while not as sneaky-pete will still get the job done.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Valium was available back then, and while not as sneaky-pete will still get the job done.

Hmm, I didn't know that. How did YOU know that :mrgreen: ?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:22 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Valium was available back then, and while not as sneaky-pete will still get the job done.

Whenever they try to stuff me into an MRI tube they start with Valium and work their way up until none of them has to leave for the ER.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Whenever they try to stuff me into an MRI tube they start with Valium and work their way up until none of them has to leave for the ER.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They reserve my slot under "Gal Gadot", only way people show up for work.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Now that you have gone all medical on us - any news on how he obtained these meds, and from whom? It seems to me that there ought to be a doctor on the stand too.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:34 pm

TJrandom wrote:Now that you have gone all medical on us - any news on how he obtained these meds, and from whom? It seems to me that there ought to be a doctor on the stand too.

"Mr. Cosby, I have your request for certain medications here. Considering that I bill you six figures each year you will get them."

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Now that you have gone all medical on us - any news on how he obtained these meds, and from whom? It seems to me that there ought to be a doctor on the stand too.

"Mr. Cosby, I have your request for certain medications here. Considering that I bill you six figures each year you will get them."

Sooo... it was you?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Sooo... it was you?

Nope, I'm the guy who had sex with the lesbian while she was on acid. Six people told her she demanded it and got it, right there in the living room. Luckily for her I'm not shy and don't have a bit of modesty.

So yeah, that one time drugs were involved, but it was surreal enough to give it a shot.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:09 am

The news says he gave some women Benadryl. You can get that without a prescription.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:46 am

Gord wrote:The news says he gave some women Benadryl. You can get that without a prescription.

I have taken Benadryl and don’t think it would knock you out. Maybe it was a massive dose.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:The news says he gave some women Benadryl. You can get that without a prescription.

I have taken Benadryl and don’t think it would knock you out. Maybe it was a massive dose.

Took diphenhydramine for years, no immediate effect.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:20 pm

It's different for people with no allergies. (Jeffk would know. :mrgreen:)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Sooo... it was you?

Nope, I'm the guy who had sex with the lesbian while she was on acid. Six people told her she demanded it and got it, right there in the living room. Luckily for her I'm not shy and don't have a bit of modesty.

So yeah, that one time drugs were involved, but it was surreal enough to give it a shot.

GS, you've led an interesting life!

I hope the statute of limitations has run out on that little incident. There have been recent cases where women brought charges, arguing that they were too drunk to know what they were doing, even though they explicitly gave consent.

Upton_O_Goode
Persistent Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

scrmbldggs wrote:It's different for people with no allergies. (Jeffk would know. :mrgreen:)

I wondered also. Back in 1960, I had a bad cold, and the Northwestern University infirmary gave me a prescription for a cough medicine containing codeine. I didn't notice any effect from it, but my roommate asked if he could have it to get high on, so I let him finish the bottle.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Sooo... it was you?

I hope the statute of limitations has run out on that little incident. There have been recent cases where women brought charges, arguing that they were too drunk to know what they were doing, even though they explicitly gave consent.

I suspect that it wasn`t in `the world` as they said back then... plus I suspect that nobody remembers names...

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Sooo... it was you?

I don't know what the statutes are in Sicily.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 01, 2018 12:07 pm

I find it odd that one person can claim alcohol impairment but not the other.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 01, 2018 12:17 pm

I do believe that both can claim... :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”