How crazy do you have to be?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

How crazy do you have to be?

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Chicago has the Polar Bears Club. Russia has the "walruses" (morzhi), and many places in the US have their "Penguins", among them Vermont. Today (February 3) was the day of the annual plunge into Lake Champlain: Air temperature -10 Celsius (14 Fahrenheit), water temperature 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit). The wimps at the local television station checked it out on Thursday, when the air temperature was above freezing (but the water temperature wasn't).

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/local-22-local-44s-skytracker-weather-team-take-the-plunge/948774240

However, they are braver or more foolish than I. I have never been tempted to take this plunge. Even for the Good Cause of Special Olympics (yes, that's right, in order to get hypothermia, you have to PAY MONEY). And if anybody asked me to "sponsor" them, I'd say, "No, I already have my own charities. And your desire to plunge into ice water does not render any service to me that I'm willing to pay for." Sue Minter, who speaks on the video, ran for governor in 2016 and came within a few votes of winning. But Republican Phil Scott edged her out. He's a moderate Republican who reminds me of some of the great ones of the past. Such people are now very few, alas.
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: How crazy do you have to be?

Post by TJrandom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:34 pm

For 15 minutes or so, on one hot summer day, I enjoyed the fast flowing snow-melt river spewing out of the Yosemite national park in California. I certainly can`t see doing it in the winter.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Jumping into freezing water, when it is not necessary to escape a sinking ocean liner, is tide-pod eating for adults. For some bizarre reason, there are many folks who think it is ok.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:40 am

In Canada, that's just called "bath day".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:31 am

Gord wrote:In Canada, that's just called "bath day".

Lol - an old girlfriend who as a foreign exchange student in London, described her home stay baths as devoid of warm water, even in the winter.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Canadians do like to go swimming in the summer:

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?