Websites and small devices

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Websites and small devices

Postby Poodle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:03 am

Probably a stoopid question, but I need a pretty quick answer ...
When you connect to this site on your hand-held mobile device (of which I am the proud owner of none), does it auto format to make itself fit? If this site doesn't do that, does ANY website do that.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Websites and small devices

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 am

I just got a smart phone and from what I can tell, all the websites reformat themselves to be smart phone friendly. That present information differently, but so far it all appears to work.....I'll be up another 2-3 hours....with my smart phone and my computer.......

edit: of note, I have no phone plan so all my phone info is via wifi. Don't know if phone system is different. I suspect it is?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks, bobbo ...

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Poodle wrote:. . . When you connect to this site on your hand-held mobile device . . . does it auto format to make itself fit?

Short answer: Some websites do, and some don't. I don't know about this website in particular. I assume pyrrho knows.

Slightly longer answer: There are things that the website designers (programmers) can do to make their website take a more active role in resizing itself and fitting to the smaller screen and orientations of mobile devices. Some websites are better at it than others, simply because the designers made the effort. Otherwise your browser does the best it can, which isn't always optimal (from the point of view of the website designers).

The website design methodology for making a website respond according to the size and orientation of the client device (whether mobile or not) is called, wait for it . . . "Responsive Web Design".

For an introduction, see for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Does that help?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Poodle: I'm embarrassed. I see I did not directly answer your question.....so I grabbed my phone and put in the address for this forum. I got a message that the Administrator should be contacted as to the effect the webpage was a place holder on an Apache Server and the Admin for this forum must now provide content. So skepticforum is not working on my Android Phone running Snapdragon.

So....I then went to Amazon and to Hotmail and both loaded and are functional but with much less screen space, so it looks different but is as stated functional...........interesting, my phone shuts down after 10 seconds of no movement....but stays on when on the amazon website. "I wonder why THAT happens?"
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks xouper - and you once again bobbo.
The information I actually wanted would have taken a page and a half to explain. But bobbo immediately gave me a good 'in' and you've confirmed that, xoup.
So now I know I'm not going to have egg all over my face as a site admin. on another forum which is showing its age and is suffering from falling attendances - it was around before anyone had to worry too much about hand-held devices. If it's become hard to read it, then that may be a good reason.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:29 pm

I hav dun nothing to make my sites accomidate smart fonez, yet they look fine. I just looked at this forum on my Samsung cheap smartfone* and it looks perfect. (not sined in appearens - the greenish theme)

I am redoing my corporation website, www.zolkorp.com, and like my otherz, its set up az 1200 pixelz wide. Either its just by luck thats the same width on my fone, or the Android OS iz sizing it to match the background. It resizez to look the same but bigger wen I rotate the fone zontal to the horizon. I hav a repeating background pik, so if you look at it on sumthing wider than that, you will see another Z on the rite. On my other 2 sites I hav a single big bg pik, set for 'no repeat' so you get blank spase on the rite.

*wen I rite 'smartfone' I mean stoopidfone. Wen I rite 'stoopidfone' I mean stooooopidfone.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Postby Phoenix76 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

When somebody writes a website, they can include code so that it will work on a mobile phone, cell phone for all you peoples in the USofA.

Given the proliferation of mobile phones today, I would suggest that most programs written these days would automatically include that code. Forget off the top of my head, but it is only a small piece of code. Have used it when writing websites.

Return to “General Discussion”