The heavens declare the glory of God....

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

The heavens declare the glory of God....

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Signs of the times

Heed the warning, you atheistic Russian Communists!....Oh wait, the two heavenly signs were given to Russia before and after it was part of the Soviet Union, a Russia that was/is officially Christian, in which the Orthodox Church was/is deeply embedded in the government.

Well, no matter. It's good to know that comets and meteors have been restored to the dignity they had before Newton and Halley showed them to be natural phenomena having no discernible influence over human affairs. That's more progress in defeating the advance of sinister, godless SCIENCE.

This article should be sent to that pious Orthodox Christian Vladimir Putin. We need to make sure he hears the warning.

But first, it needs some copy-editing. For example, this:

Greg May wrote:God destroyed the five armies that attacked Israel with hailstones...

It's really DUMB to attack Israel with hailstones, and the five armies ought to have known better.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: The heavens declare the glory of God....

Postby ElectricMonk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 pm

The problem with punishment by meteor is that you have to start the process a couple of million years before the offense.
So either Russia is doomed anyway or God thought one warning was enough.
Either way, they can continue business as usual.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:The problem with punishment by meteor is that you have to start the process a couple of million years before the offense.

:lol: BTW, love your new sig.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:21 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:The problem with punishment by meteor is that you have to start the process a couple of million years before the offense.

Of course, the crux of the matter is God's defense of Israel. I note that the Israelis themselves are not depending on Jehovah for their defense, but maintain a formidable army equipped with nuclear weapons, to be used if things get really bad.

It's only the useful idiots among American evangelicals who keep Israel in the good graces of American Senators who say damn the consequences, keep building on the occupied lands, keep bulldozing the homes of Palestinians, and don't yield title to even one square inch of Jerusalem, since God has promised victory to Israel. The people who believe that are convinced that Israel is in imminent danger of invasion by a Russian-led coalition. (This faith wavered for a while, back about ten years ago, when Russia was down and out, and the official Fuglemen of the Apocalypse began to foresee a Chinese-led invasion. But it's now back big-time as Russia again comes out aggressively on the world stage.)
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:35 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:...... damn the consequences, keep building on the occupied lands, keep bulldozing the homes of Palestinians, and don't yield title to even one square inch of Jerusalem, since God has promised victory to Israel. .....

This is how every Nation State is established. You don't win your own freedom by giving land to your enemies. Its: WAR. Many innocents die in WAR. Its a zero sum activity.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:...... damn the consequences, keep building on the occupied lands, keep bulldozing the homes of Palestinians, and don't yield title to even one square inch of Jerusalem, since God has promised victory to Israel. .....

This is how every Nation State is established. You don't win your own freedom by giving land to your enemies. Its: WAR. Many innocents die in WAR. Its a zero sum activity.

True, sadly true! The damned human race is an abomination, but we're all part of it.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:05 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Greg May wrote:God destroyed the five armies that attacked Israel with hailstones...

It's really DUMB to attack Israel with hailstones, and the five armies ought to have known better.

I remember that movie! The Dwarves looked silly with their war-pigs, and the Orcs and Goblins and Elves had stupid-looking swords that no reasonable individual would actually try to fight with.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

I remember that movie! The Dwarves looked silly with their war-pigs, and the Orcs and Goblins and Elves had stupid-looking swords that no reasonable individual would actually try to fight with.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:00 pm

God has obviously forgiven Russia and is now out to get South Africa:

Man-Sheep born:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... beast.html

look at your own peril.
Spoiler:

I'm sure the meteorite is already on its way.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:God has obviously forgiven Russia and is now out to get South Africa:

Man-Sheep born:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... beast.html

look at your own peril.
Spoiler:

I'm sure the meteorite is already on its way.

Just wondering why the phrase "superstitious villagers" is always applied in the news media only to African villages, and never to snake handlers in rural Tennessee.

Of course, a bit of knowledge of embryology might clarify things here, as all mammalian embryos at early stages have some resemblance to one another. What we would need to see, however, is a DNA sequencing on this creature to know for sure what went into its genetic makeup. The picture made me think of Bulgakov's novel A Dog's Heart (Собачье Сердце), a rather macabre piece satirizing corruption in the early USSR.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: The picture made me think of Bulgakov's novel A Dog's Heart (Собачье Сердце), a rather macabre piece satirizing corruption in the early USSR.
That's one of my favourite movies. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Just wondering why the phrase "superstitious villagers" is always applied in the news media only to African villages, and never to snake handlers in rural Tennessee.

Tennesseeites* don't live in villages. They live in bacterial infections.

*not their real name; they're called Butternuts, but I didn't want to be rude
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:52 am

ElectricMonk wrote:God has obviously forgiven Russia and is now out to get South Africa:

Man-Sheep born: ...

Happens all of the time in Scotland.... :roll:

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am

TJrandom wrote:

I was going to say something similar about Welsh shepherds. I decided against it for fear of a humpty righteous backlash. You're a brave man! :D

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:57 am

Poodle wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Happens all of the time in Scotland....and Texas :roll:

I was going to say something similar about Welsh shepherds. I decided against it for fear of a humpty righteous backlash. You're a brave man! :D

Erm, now that you point it out... maybe no so brave....

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Poodle wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

. . . also 10,000 km away . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:31 am

About the same as Texas.... :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”