America's Vast Reserves

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Dear [Salutation][First Name]

America's Vast Reserves

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm thinking of two things America has never run out of and probably never will: ignorance and arrogance. Just consider:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/upsh ... .html?_r=0

In related news, another one-third of people surveyed knew that Obamacare and ACA are synonymous, but expressed the opinion that Obamacare is by far the more synonymous of the two.

To quote Garrison Keillor, how do these people manage to order fried chicken in a restaurant?

Note added later: I see Statistical Mechanic anticipated me on this over in the Donnydämmerung thread.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

George Santayana, "Tipperary" (1918)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: America's Vast Reserves

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:In related news, another one-third of people surveyed knew that Obamacare and ACA are synonymous, but expressed the opinion that Obamacare is by far the more synonymous of the two.

Unless you are into demonstrating moronic nonsense, what idea are you going for with "synonymous"? I see the humor...but wonder if you meant it that way?

But if one third know, and one third don't know...what did the remaining third do?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:30 pm

OP, do you think the United States is in any wise unique in that feature?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:In related news, another one-third of people surveyed knew that Obamacare and ACA are synonymous, but expressed the opinion that Obamacare is by far the more synonymous of the two.

Unless you are into demonstrating moronic nonsense, what idea are you going for with "synonymous"? I see the humor...but wonder if you meant it that way?

But if one third know, and one third don't know...what did the remaining third do?

By process of elimination, that would be the one-third who knew there is no difference between the two and also the definition of "synonymous."

And yes, I am into demonstrating moronic nonsense. As long as you see the humor in it, you understand what I'm saying.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reserve a part of your wrath ; you have not seen the worst yet. You suppose that this war has been a criminal blunder and an exceptional horror ; you imagine that before long reason will prevail, and all these inferior people that govern the world will be swept aside, and your own party will reform everything and remain always in office. You are mistaken."

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:OP, do you think the United States is in any wise unique in that feature?

Oh by no means. I've seen a lot of it in Europe and Russia. There may be the same level of ignorance just about everywhere. But America does have a larger percentage of people totally ignorant of science, yet eager to give you a "scientific" judgment on evolution and climate change. What other country is now threatening to sabotage all attempts to deal with climate change?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Yes.... I get the humor. Its just thin gruel.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:44 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Yes.... I get the humor. Its just thin gruel.

Well, since you seem to be the resident expert critic, I guess I'll just have to accept YOUR authoritative judgment. Can't trust my own, I suppose. Glad you chimed in on this vital issue.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:52 pm

Now you see....I get the synonymous humor and rebuke in that statement as well. Yet.... you might answer that gentle knock at your door, and know that you are picking your audience.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:OP, do you think the United States is in any wise unique in that feature?

Oh by no means. I've seen a lot of it in Europe and Russia. There may be the same level of ignorance just about everywhere. But America does have a larger percentage of people totally ignorant of science, yet eager to give you a "scientific" judgment on evolution and climate change. What other country is now threatening to sabotage all attempts to deal with climate change?

Source for your "larger percentage", please.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Now you see....I get the synonymous humor and rebuke in that statement as well. Yet.... you might answer that gentle knock at your door, and know that you are picking your audience.

I'll assume you are trying to improve my prose, and for that I thank you. I understood from your first post that you were in no way confused by my lame attempt at humor.

I'm sorry to confess that occasional sarcasm and irony are too tempting for me, and no doubt lure me in to the detriment of my prose. Fortunately, the arena for them is only an Internet bulletin board with a fast turnover. But I'm too old to change. This board allows you to sneer at, heap scorn on, and ridicule me. I'm not thin-skinned, so you'll do no harm if you do that.

By the way, you never responded to my note to you on the "They Saw It Coming" thread. You wouldn't accept that one could generally cite the Trump election as a reason for leaving the country and insisted on hearing very specific reasons why a person might do that. So I provided three such reasons. Did you see my post? Do you plan to respond to it?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Source for your "larger percentage", please.

Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Images?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Images?

I'm puzzled. When I click on the link I provided, I get lots of images. Don't you?

Never mind, I think I fixed the post so the image shows up on it.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:

I'm puzzled. When I click on the link I provided, I get lots of images. Don't you?

Yep, and just images.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:26 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Yep, and just images.

OK, I'm still puzzled. The image I inserted above is a graph showing the acceptance of evolution in a lot of countries. The USA is second from the bottom, just above Turkey.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:30 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Yep, and just images.

OK, I'm still puzzled. The image I inserted above is a graph showing the acceptance of evolution in a lot of countries. The USA is second from the bottom, just above Turkey.

When I clicked on it, it was just a link, not an image.

Now, convince me that the data is accurate and unbiased.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:18 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Now, convince me that the data is accurate and unbiased.

Wut?

........................... Its from the New York Times!!!!!

Gold plated.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:

Yep, and just images.

When I clicked on it, it was just a link, not an image.

Now, convince me that the data is accurate and unbiased.

Wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_ ... _evolution

According to a 2007 Gallup poll,[125] about 43% of Americans believe that "God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so." This is only slightly less than the 46% reported in a 2006 Gallup poll.[126] Only 14% believed that "human beings have developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God had no part in this process", despite 49% of respondents indicating they believed in evolution.[125] Belief in creationism is inversely correlated to education; only 22% of those with post-graduate degrees believe in strict creationism.[126] A 2000 poll for People for the American Way found 70% of the American public felt that evolution was compatible with a belief in God.[127]

The links lead to:

[125] - http://www.gallup.com/poll/27847/Majori ... ution.aspx
[126] - http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... 826-4947r/
[127] - http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=2097
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:37 am

Yea! More home schooling....

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:24 pm

TJrandom wrote:Yea! More home schooling....

Yes, isn't it lucky that the current administration is 100% behind the idea of shutting down the public schools and allowing parents to hammer whatever idiocy they want into their children's heads? They've always had the right to do that, but the public schools were a win-win. Parents got the noxious little pests out of the house for several hours a day, and we all benefited from getting them at least exposed to the best-available scientific theories. That carrot no longer works, and we shouldn't try to apply the stick. So where do we go?

Actually, though, the scientific education provided in the schools wound up being a pretty thin veneer---one plank of rationality floating on an ocean of superstition. It didn't last well in America, and it didn't take many smooth creationist orators---abysmally ignorant of science, even those with scientific credentials---to convince millions of people that a theory that occasional genetic mutations occur, which you might observe if you could be watching, was no better than a theory that said you'd have seen a horse materialize out of thin air if you happened to be watching. After all, both were unobservable events, right? So they are equally scientific, the "evolutionist model" and the "creationist model" as they put it.

In terms of explanations as to why this is so much more prevalent in the US than elsewhere in the First World, I think it is precisely because Americans have had so much power and wealth that they think they can do anything and don't really have anything important to learn. That belief also might have been modified if they knew a bit of history, say the history of the Athenian Empire, as depicted in Aristophanes' play "The Birds."

Return to “General Discussion”