Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:54 pm

I've come across a collection of wisdoms from various sources which I believe could be really useful whether a person is secular, religious, or anything.

What I'm curious to get is some of the ruthless opinions of people on this forum.

Most people's philosophies on life at least have some kind of spiritual aspect. But if the people on this forum are not be utterly depressed and lost in a situation, hey must have accumulated some wisdom, some kind of approach.

So I'll provide my own life philosophy on various things and will ask the forum for what their own personal philosophies might be : and their opinions on mine...

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:00 pm

1. We are all evolving individuals in a universe and a society full of things which are evolving. Language evolves, technology evolves, life evolves and individuals evolve ( in the sense that their understanding changes and they learn from their mistakes). To this end we should forgive people, and go easy on ourselves, with the understanding that we're still growing, still learning and evolving. Everyone is a work in progress.

2. You can't remove the dualities from life. There's no point struggling to make everything good and get rid of all the negative and all the evil. It's better to accept and live with a balance of both, to embrace both the positive and negative and make the most of both.

3. The only time that's real is the present. By all means plan where necessary, but don't lose sight of the fact that the present moment is what matters in the end, because it's all you've really got.

4. Be aware of what you're putting out into the world because it's often reflected back at you. Particularly angry people often end up with frustrating and argumentative scenarios. Particularly upbeat and friendly people tend to avoid these and find themselves in more pleasant situations. So to a very real extent, what you put out is what you get back.

5. Circumstances don't matter so much as how you respond to your circumstances. Just because something is a certain way now doesn't mean it has to be that way. Avoid being a pessimist or a 'realist' who can't see past the current situation and instead be a visionary

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:06 pm

6. Refrain from jumping to judgements and if things go wrong take on an attitude of "good? Bad? Who knows?" Because you cannot ultimately know how they'll unfold. Bad situations can lead to something unexpectedly good so it's better not to judge.

7. Follow the thing that excites and interests you to the best of your ability with integrity and respect for others

8. Take a moment sometimes to observe your thoughts meditatively. Because critical thinking is useful but being constantly lost in thought is not. In fact, just meditate, the benefits are proven.

9. Visualise what you want as a useful exercise to keep you focused on the end result you're after.

10. Do not be discouraged by counter forces and obstacles when you are trying to achieve something; see them as challenges rather than problems and persevere.

And that's it. Will you tear them apart or are these things useful even for the secular and hyper rational?? Let me know what you think

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8237
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 pm

Or how about ... Desiderata.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Thank you, Max Ehrmann. I think it's out of copyright but, if it isn't, I'm confident he wouldn't have minded. (I've just checked - it's in the public domain).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Well done Poodle. I didn't immediately think of "You are a Fluke of the Universe."

Can Deep Back Chopra be far away?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:10 pm

sayer wrote:Will you tear them apart or are these things useful even for the secular and hyper rational?? Let me know what you think
I'd like to amend a few of yours, then I'll add my own.

To your #1: You should recognize that some people will not progress, and will use your forgiveness as carte blanche to reoffend. Also, I disagree with the word "forgive" as it's being used today; forgiveness implies that the offender has recognized his offense and wishes to make amends. To forgive without the participation of the offender creates imbalance that's just as emotionally unhealthy as bearing a grudge, IMO. Just let go of the grudge; you don't have to forgive a person who insists on being an {!#%@}.

To your #2: Apathy toward or acceptance of evil is just as bad as complicity. You may not be able to clean up the whole world, but you can improve your little corner of it.

To your #5: Sometimes, you have to be a realist and accept the circumstances, lest you become a Pollyanna.

To your #6: Snap judgments generally aren't useful, but thoughtful judgments about the several ways a situation might play out can be extremely useful.

Some of mine (both original and adopted)...
• Take the time to analyze your emotions, especially the negative ones. They often arise because you're hungry, tired, or in pain, rather than in response to an upsetting situation. It they are in response to a situation, is it worth getting upset about?
• "The only 'sin' lies in hurting people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."—Robert A. Heinlein
• "Count your blessings" is an overused cliché, but it's useful to have a sense of perspective before deciding that your life is insufferably horrible.
• When there's something you have to do, try to make it as enjoyable as possible. (For example, I hate doing the dishes, so I play upbeat music to make it more tolerable.)

I'm sure I could think of more, but I don't generally articulate them; they're mostly automatic at this point.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19791
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:22 pm

Practice consciousness. As much and in as many things as humanimal as possible.
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Flash » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Stay {!#%@} awake, especially when you are driving.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4832
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:41 pm

sayer wrote:I've come across a collection of wisdoms from various sources which I believe could be really useful whether a person is secular, religious, or anything.

What I'm curious to get is some of the ruthless opinions of people on this forum.

Most people's philosophies on life at least have some kind of spiritual aspect. But if the people on this forum are not be utterly depressed and lost in a situation, hey must have accumulated some wisdom, some kind of approach.

So I'll provide my own life philosophy on various things and will ask the forum for what their own personal philosophies might be : and their opinions on mine...


I agree with all ten of your points, and would add these thoughts.

I. All people are born equal with regard to possession of their own bodies and should be allowed to control their own actions by default, that is, people own their own bodies by the fact that they possess them, and no person can claim more of a right to control another person's body than the person living in it, and if no person has a right to control another no person can delegate a right they do not possess to another person or group of people. For instance a Draft Board claiming a right to send an unwilling person to war, or a group claiming to represent some form of majority telling individuals what they may smoke or ingest.

2. Imho the legendary words of Confucius were correct, that all of human ethics can be expressed in one word, "reciprocity," The Golden Rule; and the best versions of the GR are those of Rabbi Hillel, who said some decades before The Sermon on the Mount by Jesus, "Do not to others that which is hateful to you, this is the whole of the Law, and the rest is commentary" and the more modern version sometimes called The Platinum Rule, "Do not unto others what they don't want done to them."

(These ethics are not blindly pacifist and do not rule out self-defense against aggression.)
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:09 pm

Wonderful responses, and thank you very much for the feedback

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Wut?

I obviously didn't make myself clear.

Windex: spray and repeat.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Poodle wrote:Or how about ... Desiderata.

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Thank you, Max Ehrmann. I think it's out of copyright but, if it isn't, I'm confident he wouldn't have minded. (I've just checked - it's in the public domain).


Or better...
Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

INT-986
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 am

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby INT-986 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am

Influences on my philosophy of living:


User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2064
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:33 pm

INT-986 wrote:Influences on my philosophy of living:

Are you referring to the computer in Harlan Ellison's short story, "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?"
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Phoenix76 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 am

Ah strewth, this sort of thinking gives me worry lines. don't need that, got enough train tracks already without adding any more.

Look, I am what I am.
I seek the "rewards" that I want.
It would be nice if you liked me, but in the end, I don't care.
Life is too short to waste it on silly philosophical dreams.
And honestly, I don't give a sh*t. I just do my thing, what ever strange and wonderful thing that may be.
I have only a handful of real friends, those that would stand by me no matter what. Better than finding that gold nugget.
Oh yes, I have many other friends, they are called fairweather friends for obvious reasons.
Seriously, many of you are so tied up in trying to be perfect, to obsessed with solving the worlds problems.
I love a good debate, I emphasise "A Good Debate". But so often on this forum we lose track of what we claim to be - Skeptics!

And just for our friend BTC, yes, I'm in one of those moods tonight. We just had a power blackout, but no storm. Second on the space of 14 days. And I'm expected to pay top dollar for that service. So yes I'm totally pissed off, and I found that this topic was a good outlet for my derision.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19792
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 am

Philosophy is the religion of atheists.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Cadmusteeth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:27 pm

I don't say much here but hope it turns out well for you Phoenix and if it doesn't, that you have plenty of support.

User avatar
Phoenix76
Poster
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:16 am
Custom Title: Phoenix76
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Even sceptics gotta have a philosophy

Postby Phoenix76 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:14 am

Cadmusteeth wrote:I don't say much here but hope it turns out well for you Phoenix and if it doesn't, that you have plenty of support.


Thank you Cad, yes I'm quite content with my lot. Like most of us, I like to sound of at times (may times??), but that's just to get it out of my system.


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests