Sleep Paralysis

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Sleep Paralysis

Postby busterggi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Another fine episode that ties into all sorts of 'monsters'. Of course my personal experience was different because I'm just weird.

Back a long time ago, certainly I was no older than six, I had what I many decades later I would say was an episode of SP. I 'woke up' and saw a terrifying black figure that gave a hideous laugh while staring at me, of course I couldn't move. BUT while that was scary it wasn't harmful. As such, after some days thought, I concluded that this was a friendly witch who was watching over me, possibly to save me from dying in my sleep as in the prayer I was required to say every night. Where was she during the day? Why, she lived in the room under the stairs & that was why I wasn't allowed to open that door (okay, it was a closet but childish rationalizing leads to odd conclusions) because thot would disturb her sleeping during the day. I may have had other episodes, I'm not sure, but if so they were no longer terrifying but visits from a somewhat creepy-looking friend. I called her Witchie and for years she was my best friend (note, she was not invisible remember?) and confidant.

So by the time I was in my teens I was pretty confused because I knew there were no such things as witches (Wiccans barely existed then) BUT I knew what I had seen and heard and felt. I went with the obvious - personal experience trumped reason and science & society were wrong.

It wasn't until I was in my mid-forties when the alien abduction thing was taking off that I learned about sleep paralysis and put things together. I no longer believe in Witchie, a truly great emotional loss btw, and understand she was just in my head.

I did have one last SP episode though, around 2001, when I had the flu and one hell of a fever. I 'woke up' and couldn't move, yadda yadda without Witchie though. I recognised what was happening though so I wasn't scared but rather angry - I was sick and didn't need more aggrievation on top of it. So I tried to get up figuring that since I knew what was happening I could beat it. I couldn't and that jusy pissed me off more so I continued to try until I really did wake up swearing like crazy. I hit the bathroom, went back to bed and have not had another episode since.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Re: Sleep Paralysis

Postby zeuzzz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:59 pm

I posted this on another forum, pretty much explains it:

I found this information about Acetylcholines role in REM, paralysis and sleep.

Because of the work of Harvard’s Dr. Robert W. McCarley and Dr. J. Allan Hobson, dreams have a newfound admiration. They developed a principle concerning how dreams are produced by the firing of neurons during REM sleep. They determined that dreams begin in the brain stem [and] there are two kinds of neurons known to control sleep, each using a different chemical to communicate. One type uses acetylcholine;
they are “on” during REM. The others use norepinephrine and serotonin; they are “off.” Only when these latter neurons are turned off can the acetylcholine neurons turn on. Then the dream is born. The acetylcholine neurons send rapidbursts of electrical signals to the cortex which takes the information and weaves it into a coherent story, interpreting the signals by referring to pre-existing memories

This relationship between acetylcholine and serotonin may explain why people get recurrent sleep paralysis after serotogenic systems are messed with.

Basically when you are in REM sleep your body has to paralyse itself so you dont flail about and act out your dreams. Sleep paralysis is when you wake up but the chemicals that are needed to start bodily movements seem to be delayed. Thus in a way your body has to catch up with your mind telling it its awake.

I used to wake up sometimes with some face looking at me from the bottom of my bed, unable to move for about 5 seconds. I worked out I could get stop the acetylcholine and get the norepinephrine and serotonin to metabolize by moving my toes, for some reason once I started wiggling my toes (only part I could move), bam, suddenly my whole body could move. Tis a very odd experience.
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:07 pm

"They developed a principle concerning how dreams are produced by the firing of neurons during REM sleep. They determined that dreams begin in the brain stem [and] there are two kinds of neurons known to control sleep, each using a different chemical to communicate. One type uses acetylcholine;
they are “on” during REM. The others use norepinephrine and serotonin; they are “off.” Only when these latter neurons are turned off can the acetylcholine neurons turn on. Then the dream is born. The acetylcholine neurons send rapidbursts of electrical signals to the cortex which takes the information and weaves it into a coherent story, interpreting the signals by referring to pre-existing memories"----what bull .....they completely made it up..no proof of a dream at all.....who says scientists don't make up stories?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Well, that's over 120 years of research up the Swanee, then.

Thank goodness you're here to keep us all up to date, gorgeous.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 pm

there's no way to prove anyone has dreams...you're welcome...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:50 am

gorgeous wrote:there's no way to prove anyone has dreams...you're welcome...

:befuddled:

You are using an insane definition of "proof", aren't you...thanks....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:51 pm

it is a concept...show me a dream...

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:03 pm

gorgeous wrote:it is a concept...show me a dream...

Hypocrisy or what?

Show us Seth.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I think she's using an insane definitions of "has" not of "proof".
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:09 am

Austin Harper wrote:I think she's using an insane definitions of "has" not of "proof".

I think we can expand on that to every word she writes.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:30 am

Clearly, they want you to believe it's "sleep paralysis", because they are actually having buttsechs with you while you lie there, unable to move. They are using mind control machinery on you, but unfortunately for them, it's imperfect, leaving you with partial knowledge of what they're doing.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:53 pm

how can rational scientists believe in dreams?...that's just goofy...

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:12 pm

gorgeous wrote:how can rational humans believe in Seth?...that's just goofy...

That is completely and utterly semantically identical to what you have just posted.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Postby zeuzzz » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:38 am

gorgeous wrote:how can rational scientists believe in dreams?...that's just goofy...

Who the hell would not believe in dreams?

I've had 4 this week.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:42 am

prove they exist...

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:00 am

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Postby zeuzzz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:24 pm

gorgeous wrote:prove they exist...

?

Is this serious?

or are you just trolling?

Have you ever dreamt of something, Gorgeous?

zeuzzz
Persistent Poster

Postby zeuzzz » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Austin Harper wrote:https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=brain+activity+during+sleep

Gorgeous. as gorgeous as you are (truly) can you reply to some of these papers austin just linked to?

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:08 pm

Gorgeous doesn't reply - she regurgitates.

She won't read a word of those references.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:33 pm

brain activity doesn't prove there is a dream....no one can prove people dream...

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm

gorgeous wrote:brain activity doesn't prove there is a dream....no one can prove people dream...

Can Seth?

gorgeous wrote:seth--------------...time and space... are both a part of something else. They are merely the camouflage patterns by which you perceive reality. Space as you perceive it in the dream state comes much closer to the reality... the dream universe is obviously closely connected with your own, since pseudo-objects are present... Within the dream state, you are in the "outward" areas of the physically oriented universe... There are other systems all about and within your own. The undifferentiated areas move out like spirals, through all reality. Little resistance is encountered within them. They represent inner roads that connect systems, as well as divide them.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:28 pm

I dream, I have dreams of my future, but even Seth can't prove we dream....

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Gorgeous needs there be no dreams as commonly known and understood. How else could one declare them NDEs and, therefore, special?

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:38 pm

dreams are not nde's....

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:40 pm

But NDEs are dreams.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:41 pm

no

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:42 pm

:lol:

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:03 pm

i experienced sleep paralysis , think it was less then a year . i assumed it had something to do with mental illness .
wonder if drinking could be a factor ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
Just us or else . makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:59 pm

gorgeous wrote:prove they exist...

Here's one: Emmy Rossum
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:26 am

Thanks for that, Scott - I wasn't aware of her. I liked what you put up so went and looked for more, but I was a bit disappointed when I found that all of the songs sounded the same. Then I found her singing such songs as Foolish Things (in which she has to drop down a couple of tones) - much better.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:02 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:i experienced sleep paralysis , think it was less then a year . i assumed it had something to do with mental illness .
wonder if drinking could be a factor ?

Coffee was a big thing for me and for the times I've had them more often, I wasn't drinking much. I think it can be enhanced from lack of sleep and possibly stimulants (like coffee). Someone noted epinephrine along with two other major chemicals. Perhaps we should all lay off the speed?! 8-)
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Return to “Episode Discussions”