Mothman episode

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Mothman episode

Postby busterggi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:20 pm

Short & sweet, but lacking the ability to display the evolution of the image of Mothman hurts the listener who hasn't seen it (I have but many probably haven't).

Might I suggest Doppler-fear as the term for the apparently larger than actual size of animals/things that folks see by surprise.

Wiese_the_Beast
Poster

Re: Mothman episode

Postby Wiese_the_Beast » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:46 am

Might I suggest no?

I can't tell by deciphering your post, but you ARE suggesting that mothman is real and that you have seen it, right?
Thank you for reading,
Jason Wiese

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:05 am

Wiese_the_Beast wrote:I can't tell by deciphering your post, but you ARE suggesting that mothman is real and that you have seen it, right?

I think he's saying he's seen "the evolution of the image of Mothman," rather than Mothman itself.

I think. :?

And that, furthermore, he's suggesting calling it "Doppler-fear" whenever someone overestimates the size of something that scared them, like for instance a bear. "That grizzly bear was huge!" they might suggest, only to discover later that it was actually just a black bear cub.

...I think.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Wiese_the_Beast wrote:Might I suggest no?

I can't tell by deciphering your post, but you ARE suggesting that mothman is real and that you have seen it, right?

No, but I believe in owls as I've seen them many times, including yesterday.

The whole Mothman incident would have been forgotten if Batman hadn't been on tv at the time.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Postby DoctorAtlantis » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:01 am

BRINGING LIGHT TO A MOTH

In this episode, Committee for Skeptical Inquiry (formerly CSICOP) investigator Joe Nickell joins the MonsterTalk crew for a look into the West Virginian legend of Mothman — allegedly a human-sized creature with wings and glowing red eyes. Nickell discusses the ways monsters evolve following a community’s initial reports, and the cyclical nature of spates of sightings.

About this episode

Joe Nickell is the senior investigator for the Center for Inquiry (CFI) and is the author of many books that will be of interest to MonsterTalk listeners. His most recent book is Real or Fake: Studies in Authentication.

Of special interest to MonsterTalk listeners will be Adventures in Paranormal Investigation and Real Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal and of course he is the co-author of Lake Monster Mysteries, along with Ben Radford.

Loren Coleman’s “Mothman Death List” can be found here.

Ben Radford’s new book Scientific Paranormal Investigation: How to Solve Unexplained Mysteries is now on sale!

The alien timeline graphic that Joe Nickell mentions in this episode can be found here.

Music

Monstertalk Theme: Monster
by Peach Stealing Monkeys

Return to “Episode Discussions”