Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Talk, debate, discussion, observations, etc... regarding episodes of MonsterTalk.
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:27 am

Trump's neoconservative immigration policies- The double-edged sword:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1L51N9
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Neoconservative Immigration Policies...

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Tom Palven wrote:Trump's neoconservative immigration policies- The double-edged sword:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1L51N9
unfortunately, this is nothing new. It is also utterly disgraceful.

It seems that many conservatives want a Japan-like immigration policy (i.e. you don't get in, fullstop).

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Japan isn`t that bad. Somewhat less than 2% of our population are foreigners. But it is true that our immigration policies are quite restrictive and are supported by our geographic isolation - it being rather hard to swim here.

I see that only one out of a thousand refugee applicants have been accepted here.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

I always assumed that Japan would pay dearly for closing itself off. Lacking immigration, it is shrinking in population, which in turn is aging. GDP growth is very small.
But the curious net effect is that GDP per Capita is growing, making life on average better for its citizens.

Japan is probably a template for what Europe will see in 20 years, and the US in 40 (unless Trump gets a second term that is).

HenryJr

Post by HenryJr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am

I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 am

HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
I personally think that there should be a strict policy for immigrants, look at some of the countries which are facing major crisis because of the overflow of immigrants like Uk, US and Pakistan.
Are you equally concerned with restricting the global flow of capital ?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 am

HenryJr wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:30 am
The US is hardly facing a major crisis because of an overflow of immigrants. IMO, the only immigration related crisis the US faces is that of misinformation and down right lies. But if you have supporting information for the crisis, please do share it.