Sasquatch DNA sequenced?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Sasquatch DNA sequenced?

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 am

Or so they claim...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10166775.htm

Proof! Always a red flag...
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Sasquatch DNA sequenced?

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:13 am

Ah - an impartial researcher who, without any peer review of her work, said "Government at all levels must recognize them ... " (Sasquatch) " ... as an indigenous people and immediately protect their human and Constitutional rights against those who would see in their physical and cultural differences a ‘license’ to hunt, trap, or kill them.”

A little premature, I would have thought. Or, possibly, just a little giveaway on the state of her preconceived ideas.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:42 am

Hmmmmmm

her company, DNA Diagnostics, has received an "F" rating from the Better Business Bureau.

Ketchum has not allowed scientific peer review of her findings

Ketchum says her DNA sample was obtained from a blueberry bagel left in the backyard of a Michigan home that, according to the owner, sees regular visits from Sasquatch creatures.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:53 am

Hmmmm again.

According to their own website http://www.dnadiagnostics.com/staff.html, DNA Diagnostics Inc. has a staff of ... ermmm ... one - Dr. Ketchum herself.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 am

currently under peer-review

Well that'd be new. Is this the paper Ketchum's been working on for five years? Well, if it gets published in the National Enquirer, at least it will really be reviewed by her "peers". :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: The Hyphenator 9001

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Ketchum says her DNA sample was obtained from a blueberry bagel left in the backyard

Sounds legit.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:09 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Ketchum says her DNA sample was obtained from a blueberry bagel left in the backyard

Sounds legit.

And I completely agree with her conclusion -- the bagel was definitely NOT human.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:50 am

Human/blueberry bagel hybrids have rights too!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 am

#ANDAMOVIE

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
So that's how ya ketch um.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 am

[RECLAIM] wrote:
currently under peer-review

Well that'd be new. Is this the paper Ketchum's been working on for five years? Well, if it gets published in the National Enquirer, at least it will really be reviewed by her "peers". :lol:

Is this one of my posts? I give it a 50/50 chance. Everything about it fits my style.
#ANDAMOVIE

SweetPea
Has No Life

Postby SweetPea » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:48 pm

You guys haven't read The Blind Squatchmaker

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Postby angawawa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 pm

What will we all do if someone actually does find a bigfoot?
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

SweetPea
Has No Life

Postby SweetPea » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

stay out the the backyard?

Hex
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi

Postby Hex » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:11 am

angawawa wrote:What will we all do if someone actually does find a bigfoot?

Probably shoot it.

*I think I can speak for everyone that truly wishes for this to true. Alas another dead end. :cry:
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 am

BBQ it.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 pm

Celebrate.

The quest for the mythical Bigfoot suggests the following possible outcomes:

1. No one finds a Bigfoot, but they keep looking. Nothing is resolved.
2. No one finds a Bigfoot, and everyone forgets about it. A boring but entirely realistic resolution.
3. Someone finds a Bigfoot. Excitement ensues! Parties! Entertainment! Investigation and knowledge and exploration erupts, huzzah!

So honestly, I hope someone finds one. But as the evidence heavily weighs toward there being no such thing, I expect it will never happen (until someone makes one from scratch).
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Gord wrote:So honestly, I hope someone finds one. But as the evidence heavily weighs toward there being no such thing, I expect it will never happen (until someone makes one from scratch).

Instant SasquatchTM "Just add BS and stir"!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Have I already brought this up? Whatever, if I have at least this story is newer.
The Wichita Eagle wrote:Animal Planet show comes to Wichita, in search of Bigfoot

Bigfoot lives.

He apparently doesn’t live a flashy life in Kansas. Here, he stays pretty much undercover and lives more conservatively than say his counterparts in California and Washington state where paparazzi have occasionally snapped photos and videos of the famed elusive beast.

But there have been reports.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

busterggi
Regular Poster
Custom Title: General Weirdness

Postby busterggi » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

BBQ it.

No, I'd slice it open, toast it and spread cream cheese on it so I could eat it.

Or is that the bagel I'm thinking of?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:24 pm

busterggi wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:

BBQ it.

No, I'd slice it open, toast it and spread cream cheese on it so I could eat it.

Or is that the bagel I'm thinking of?

The Bagel? Wasn't that the ship Chuck Darwin was on?
#ANDAMOVIE

Sock Puppet

Postby Sock Puppet » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I have heard there is an elusive creature that has never been caught but which many have witnessed and described. Their descriptions have a lot in common, suggesting this is a real phenomenon of some sort. The stories have been passed down for ages. Sometimes it takes the form of a hairy ape-like hominid, sometimes a serpentine sea monster, or a dragon, or an extra terrestrial. I believe it is called a Meme. It really has a life of its own. Have any of you seen one?

SweetPea
Has No Life

Postby SweetPea » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:39 pm

no, but I have heard of them.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Sock Puppet wrote:I have heard there is an elusive creature that has never been caught but which many have witnessed and described. Their descriptions have a lot in common, suggesting this is a real phenomenon of some sort. The stories have been passed down for ages. Sometimes it takes the form of a hairy ape-like hominid, sometimes a serpentine sea monster, or a dragon, or an extra terrestrial. I believe it is called a Meme. It really has a life of its own. Have any of you seen one?

No one catches a Meme. A Meme catches you.

Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Postby Alexander941 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Nothing, again!
Iam so disappointed, when will the day come that I will see video footage from a zoo, showing an angry bigfoot who is tearing apart a tourist who was stupid enough to reach into the cage.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Alexander941 wrote:Nothing, again!
Iam so disappointed, when will the day come that I will see video footage from a zoo, showing an angry bigfoot who is tearing apart a tourist who was stupid enough to reach into the cage.

It can only happen on sci-fi tv or in the movies.
#ANDAMOVIE

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Hmpf, I think Ill learn how to modify the genetic code of various lifforms, and then ill build my very own bigfoot. ;-)

PennyDotson
Poster

Postby PennyDotson » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Gord wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Sounds legit.

And I completely agree with her conclusion -- the bagel was definitely NOT human.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I laughed way too hard than I should have.

Alexander941
Regular Poster

Postby Alexander941 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:26 pm

I just thought that if a Bigfoot would be abducted by Aliens, then this would be one of the strangest Encounters ever. Especially if the only Witnesses were the Lizardman and the Jersey devil.
;-)

spooky1980
Poster

Postby spooky1980 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:24 pm

It is more likely that some desperate sicko has sex with one of his pet apes and this has been released into the wild. There is so-called 'evidence' of scientists in Africa having sex with monkeys and gorrillas and this produced the HIV virus... probably as likely as Bigfoot walking up to the White House and asking for US citizenship ;)

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Skamania County, Washington passed a law regarding Bigfoot in 1969 declaring that "any willful, wanton slaying of such creatures shall be deemed a felony" subject to substantial fine and/or imprisonment.------Undiscovered Species Protection Act

Whereas, there is evidence to indicate the possible existence of an undiscovered species a primate mammal variously described as Bigfoot, Sasquatch, an ape-like creature or a subspecies of Homo Sapiens.

Whereas, reported recent and past sightings, research by anthropologist, Primatologist, biologist, forensic experts, cryptozooligst, independent organizations, private individuals and the famous chimpanzee researcher Jane Goodall support this possibility.

Whereas, the absence of specific laws covering the slaying, taking, trapping or harassing of said specimens encourages laxity in the use of firearms and other deadly devices and poses a clear and present threat to the safety and well-being of persons living or traveling within the boundaries of the creatures habitat as well as to the creatures themselves.

Whereas, for the safety of all, the carrying or dispersing of firearms requires a sense of responsibility to all surrounding individuals and animals. It is the shooters full responsibility to correctly identify the species before the taking of aim and or the killing of a species, therefore ignorance will not absolve the shooter of said charges.

Whereas, be it resolved that any premeditated, willful and wanton slaying harassing or any malicious activities upon such creature shall be deemed a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed One hundred Thousand Dollars ($100.0000) and/or imprisonment, not to exceed ten (10) years.

Whereas, in the event of the slaying or capture of said creature any and all (moneys) proceeds and revenues shall be donated to a state college for future studies and or the protection of said creatures. The rights and physical possession to the said creature shall also be immediately donated to a state college, for further studies.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:59 pm

spooky1980 wrote:It is more likely that some desperate sicko has sex with one of his pet apes and this has been released into the wild.
Are you suggesting that a human and an ape can have a child?

How many chromosomes does a human have? How many chromosomes does an ape have?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:06 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
spooky1980 wrote:It is more likely that some desperate sicko has sex with one of his pet apes and this has been released into the wild.

Are you suggesting that a human and an ape can have a child?

How many chromosomes does a human have? How many chromosomes does an ape have?

Humans and "apes" (however you want to define the term -- personally I think humans are apes too but you shouldn't agree with me 'cause I'm clearly wrong for some reason I don't know why can't we just drop it okay let's) can't have offspring, but it's not necessarily because of the number of chromosomes. For instance, beavers, chimpanzees, and deer mice all have 48 chromosomes, but they can't interbreed. Przwpleroopski's no wait wrong, Przewalski's horses have 66 chromosomes while domestic horses have 64, but they can interbreed (their offspring have 65 chromosomes and are viable, meaning they can also breed).

But I chose to read spooky1980's comment as a reference to how unlikely it is that bigfoot even exists at all, and not a claim (other than in the humorous sense) that a human and an ape can successfully breed.

Unless Drumpf is half orangutan, like I've been told.
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:00 am

Gord, taking the piss out of Matthew wrote: Humans and "apes"
Thank you Gord for pointing out humans are in fact apes. I actually knew that. I simply kept it simple for Spooky, as he made the claim that humans and apes could have offspring.

Technically, 7 million years ago when us human apes separated from ape apes, two chromosomes merged and thus we human apes have 23 base pairs while ape apes have 24. :D

Gord, further taking the piss out of Matthew wrote: For instance, beavers, chimpanzees, and deer mice all have 48 chromosomes, but they can't interbreed.
Thank you, again, Gord.

Are you are suggesting my backyard experiment to breed a species of dam making chimpanzees, with buck-teeth, that are the size of a mouse, will ultimately fail? :D
gauntlet_XVI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:17 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord, taking the piss out of Matthew wrote: Humans and "apes"
Thank you Gord for pointing out humans are in fact apes. I actually knew that.

I, uh, I said they weren't. But I think they should be.

Here, look at the link I linked to linkingly earlier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape#Great_and_lesser

Especially this part: "...there are at least three common, or traditional, uses of the term "ape": non-specialists may not distinguish between "monkeys" and "apes", that is, they may use the two terms interchangeably; or they may use "ape" for any tailless monkey or non-human hominoid; or they may use the term "ape" to just mean the non-human hominoids."

But also this part: "Some scientists now use the term "ape" to mean all members of the superfamily Hominoidea, including humans."

Because it's complicated! They can't get their {!#%@} together, their ducks in a row, or their eyes on the same page.

Gord, further taking the piss out of Matthew wrote: For instance, beavers, chimpanzees, and deer mice all have 48 chromosomes, but they can't interbreed.
Thank you, again, Gord.
Are you are suggesting my backyard experiment to breed a species of dam making chimpanzees, with buck-teeth, that are the size of a mouse, will ultimately fail? :D
gauntlet_XVI.jpg

No that should still work. Get yourself a CostCo Gene Splicer and splice yourself up a beavmouszee.

#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Gord wrote:Unless Drumpf is half orangutan, like I've been told.

Was it the gibbons who told you that? They're just jealous, trying to tear the orangutans down to make themselves look better.

spooky1980
Poster

Postby spooky1980 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I never realistically suggested that bigfoot was a cross between a human and an ape... I was merely suggesting that that is more likely than some kind of prehistoric creature being able to avoid capture in the USA and survive without any evidence of it existing. Bigfoot is a myth like the Loch Ness monster, but it brings in the tourists and maybe Drumpf has had a hair (and brain) transplant from a orangutan (joke!).

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:06 am

spooky1980 wrote:I never realistically suggested that bigfoot was a cross between a human and an ape...

Nope. That's exactly what you did. It was hilarious.

spooky1980 wrote: I was merely suggesting that that is more likely than some kind of prehistoric creature being able to avoid capture in the USA and survive without any evidence of it existing.
Would this be, sort of like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, or more like the movie "The Valley of Gwangi" (1969)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRkwR9zDRc

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:44 am

Oooh, Gila Golan....
#ANDAMOVIE

Skepticon of Pyrrhonia

Postby Skepticon of Pyrrhonia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:41 am

Sasquatch did come into existence after a hippie bred with a bonobo while tripping on acid during Woodstock. The Sasquatch was infertile but could time travel. It later died after it traveled back in time to assassinate president Kennedy as instructed by an alien race of humans from the distant future in another galaxy to appease the conspiracy theorists' two person shooter theory. The beast died by swallowing a poison capsule. It refused to grunt to authorities. Don't ask me how I know this. It was revealed to me by a deity.

Return to “Monster Science”