Parapsychology Scholarship

Ways and means of promoting skepticism
Zachary Lym

Parapsychology Scholarship

Postby Zachary Lym » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 pm

So there is this really great scholarship website, zinch.com which promotes a liberal-arts philosophy of awarding scholarships based on varying talents.
However, I found the Robert R. Coly Prize listed in my matching scholarships,
...two letters of recommendations from individuals who know both their academic abilities and their interest in parapsychology, and by writing an essay of 1000 to 1500 words that addresses the topic, “The Challenge of Parapsychology.”

From their website,
impartial scientific inquiry into such psychical aspects of human nature as telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition, and psychokinesis.

Putting "impartial" and "scientific" in front of activities related to psychic phenomena does not make them impartial nor scientific. The foundation sows seeds of non-critical thinking and promotes the corruption of the scientific process.
I filed this support ticket,
Among my scholarships, I found a $1,000 essay scholarship from the Parapsychology Foundation. The parapsychology scholarship has nothing to do with scholarship, scholars, science or education. This grant money only serves to spread the legitimacy of unscientific experiments, shams, and outright fraud.

Would you allow a "disprove climate change essay" scholarship?

I recieved this response,
Hi, I just talked to the Scholarship Coordinator about this scholarship, and she is looking into it. For a short term solution, just select "Dislike" on this scholarship if you aren't interested in it. Thanks.

That was on August 1st, the scholarship closes October 15th. I created this followup ticket.

Skeptics, I need help! I don't know what else to do, I am spending more time on this than on applying for scholarships :?

Zachary Lym

Update

Postby Zachary Lym » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi, if you don't like the scholarship, you can click on the "x" in the grey circle next to the scholarship name. This will remove it from your scholarship queue. Let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!

My response,
This isn't about whether I like this scholarship or not, it's about the morality of allowing sudoscience to corrupt our integrity. Our environment, the very thing which sustains all human life, is collapsing, America's journalistic integrity has been compromised, and our academic institutions degraded because empirical skepticism has been traded for short-term gains.
Lack of action is just as morally corrupt as active participation, especially when you could so easily stop it. So what if a kid writes a crappy essay promoting the paranormal if he gets some college money out of it? Substitute "paranormal" with creationism, climate change denial, or white power and the Colby scholarship wouldn't have gotten onto Zinch's index, let alone received Zinch's implicit endorsement by rebuffing multiple notifications of it's inappropriate existence.
Provide me with the smallest of amount of respect and drop the HR tone. You aren't the least-bit thankful that I brought this up, it's just another thing that isn't part of Zinch's core mission. False platitudes and socially acceptable dodges of responsibility may let you get on with your day job, but anyone can see it's a facade. Take a stance, even if it's one of indifference to this assault on science.

Zachary Lym

Re: Parapsychology Scholarship

Postby Zachary Lym » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:08 am

Official reply,
Thank you for your concern, but it is a legitimate scholarship even if the subject is a little iffy. We list scholarships that will give money for educational purposes. If you don't like this scholarship or its providers, please just remove it from your scholarship list. Our Scholarship Coordinators (whom I have been in contact with about this issue) have deemed it acceptable for Zinch.com.

Thanks!

Anyone?!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Parapsychology Scholarship

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 am

Well, I don't know what can be done about it. Sure it's silly, but private scholarships can be set up for pretty much any reason at all.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Skeptical Activism”