Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:.... quite telling that there hasn't been a response yet

Yes, it shows that most of us have recognised what utterly useless nonsense this is. Most of us don't respond to cranks at all, and those of us who do tend to spend much less time on it than the cranks want.


While accepting absolutely that my argument was biased (because i was frustrated and trying to argue a point) and hyperbolic, that still hadn't cleared up the following mysteries: so please respond to these, even if you choose to discard the rest.

1) Steel framed buildings would topple if the force they were hit with was enough to demolish them. They would not collapse in on themselves. They are designed to withstand earthquakes and more; in fact the design over-compensates for any potential disaster. Steel frame towers HAVE ONLY collapsed in on themselves when they have been demolished from the inside with explosives. That behaviour has never been exhibited anywhere outside of controlled demolitions, except 9/11.

2) The news knew that it was Bin Laden within minutes of the attack occurring. How could they possibly know that that quickly?

3) One of the news anchors starts reporting the collapse of the building in the background before it even collapses, by accident.

4) There are numerous eyewitness testimonies, on the actual day on the actual scene, of people saying that they heard and felt explosions coming from inside the lower parts of the building, even though the plane collided with the top. Why? That also suggests a controlled demolition.

5) The explanation was that the jet fuel melted the steel beams inside the towers, causing them to collapse. How did the terrorists passport survive that kind of heat AND turn up a few blocks away to be conveniently discovered??

6) Why were all the terrorist testimony tapes destroyed? And why was all of the records of inside trading from the twin towers prior to the attack destroyed??

7) Why were so many of the victims families so dissatisfied with and frustrated by the official investigation? It's more than just grief, they felt that it was a completely inadequate explanation.

8) How did the third plane manage to hit the budget office of the pentagon where they were working on the mystery of a MASSIVE amount of money being missing from the defence budget? Is it a happy coincidence that the 9/11 story displaced that mystery from the news and we were never given an answer?

9) We already know, because they admitted it, that the SAME MEDIA that brings us the 9/11 report OPENLY LIED about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Now 9/11 was one of the triggering events for why we went into that country. Is there zero connection?? Why, when you have been lied to before, do you trust so implicitly in this new story?

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby gorgeous » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:30 pm

and plane in PA field...news reporters said there was no evidence of a plane...nothing bigger than a phone book...no bodies, luggage, plane parts...nothing...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 pm

There is only mystery there if you want it to be there. Click your heels together three times, and you too can be in Kansas - if you only believe. Are you there yet?

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby gorgeous » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:39 pm

in denial^^
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 pm

gorgeous wrote:in denial^^


Not at all. I tried. And guess what - I am still not in Kansas.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26586
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 am

sayer wrote: .....that still hadn't cleared up the following mysteries: so please respond to these, even if you choose to discard the rest.
No. I can see the debunked claims you have copied from "woo" websites.

Rather than waste time I am going to redirect you to the International Skeptics Forum 9/11 sub forum. 9/11 is their specialty. The members there include engineers and other experts. You can make read their information data base there first and then set out your questions. You will receive a full debunking.


http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... y.php?f=64

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19658
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am

That "high-rise must topple" thing always makes me wonder if they really are designed/destined to do that. It makes no sense, considering the considerable additional damage that would do to their surroundings...
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:30 am

I believe it would be a near impossibility for a high-rise to topple - except in a massive earthquake or tsunami. A fire isn`t going to do it.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29264
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:23 am

sayer wrote:
Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:.... quite telling that there hasn't been a response yet

Yes, it shows that most of us have recognised what utterly useless nonsense this is. Most of us don't respond to cranks at all, and those of us who do tend to spend much less time on it than the cranks want.


While accepting absolutely that my argument was biased (because i was frustrated and trying to argue a point) and hyperbolic, that still hadn't cleared up the following mysteries: so please respond to these, even if you choose to discard the rest.

No. It's a dead-end alley for me. I get nothing out of it.

If you want to find out where this stuff has already been debunked, then be my guest. I have no interest in doing it again.


...oh. I see Matthew Ellard has already provided the link I was going to offer, so never mind. :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:56 am

What's concerning for me is the active dismissal and conviction that one party or another is right.

I presented questions and I am leaning more to the side of the conspiratorial explanation, but I will go where the evidence takes me.

On the other hand the sheer level of conviction that any alternative explanation has zero validity and is 'nutty' or 'woo' is.... frightening, to be honest.

Did any of you read the site similar to the one that was linked by Matthew Ellis but provided by me - which ALSO provided information from experts who were arguing the other way??

What scares me is how much people have already made up their minds.
I am open to both sides exactly because I KNOW that the media is quite happy to lie to us, that's what happened with the WMDs in Iraq.

I lean more to the side that they've lied again but I am happy to do research on both ends because that's WHY I got involved with the thread. I'm here to be sceptical and to have my mind either changed or reinforced.

Why is there such conviction and absolute certainty that only one side of the evidence can be correct? And that the structural engineers from the other side are crackpots??

The impression is that many people on the thread are not interested in changing their minds, only reinforcing their current belief systems and shutting down everything else

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:59 am

TJrandom wrote:
gorgeous wrote:in denial^^


Not at all. I tried. And guess what - I am still not in Kansas.


Kansas is 100% irrelevant and the things I posted are not only mysteries if you want them to be - they are blatant, in your face, ACTUAL MYSTERIES.

Is the origin of existence only a mystery if you want it to be? NO. It's actually odd, actually inexplicable and mysterious!

Please don't shut your eyes and use these odd buzzwords, it gives us a bad name.

I outlined 9 things which are actually and obviously difficult to explain, talking about Kansas doesn't change the validity of any of them - it only dodges the bullet

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29264
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 am

sayer wrote:What's concerning for me is the active dismissal and conviction that one party or another is right.

Then stop doing it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 pm

sayer wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
gorgeous wrote:in denial^^


Not at all. I tried. And guess what - I am still not in Kansas.


Kansas is 100% irrelevant and the things I posted are not only mysteries if you want them to be - they are blatant, in your face, ACTUAL MYSTERIES.

Is the origin of existence only a mystery if you want it to be? NO. It's actually odd, actually inexplicable and mysterious!

Please don't shut your eyes and use these odd buzzwords, it gives us a bad name.

I outlined 9 things which are actually and obviously difficult to explain, talking about Kansas doesn't change the validity of any of them - it only dodges the bullet


No you didn`t. You provided 9 very twisted and strained descriptions of things. The only mystery is why you did so.

Did you try tapping your heels together? How do you know it doesn`t work? After all, right there on Ytube you can see video evidence that it did work for little Judy. Personally I find both entertaining, but not at all descriptive of reality.

You didn`t ever suggest why you thought that those 9 were possible via any mechanism except thru twisted conspiracy trolling. How many tall buildings of which you know have burned, tipped over? Did the recent London apartment building tip over? If tipping over were the normal result of a massive fire you should have several examples to show.

When you offer up BS, you shouldn`t be surprised that it gets treated as such.

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:What's concerning for me is the active dismissal and conviction that one party or another is right.

Then stop doing it.


You stop first *sticks tongue out*.

Jokes aside I am now more on the fence than I was.

I don't think that all of those criticisms are invalid however. The opposition has skewed them so that they all are apparently perfectly rational when I'm not exaggerating them, but that's not the case.

Somebody respond to AT LEAST this one easy one:

The terrorists passport.... survived a fire which was hot enough to melt steel and collapse a tower block..... while all other luggage and so on was in tatters.... and somebody found it a few blocks away and gave it to the authorities.

I didn't use any hyperbole or adjectives there, it's just facts.
Please, please, somebody tell me that that's at the very least deeeply, crazily improbable and at the worst impossible.

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 pm

TJrandom wrote:
sayer wrote:
TJrandom wrote:
gorgeous wrote:in denial^^


Not at all. I tried. And guess what - I am still not in Kansas.


Kansas is 100% irrelevant and the things I posted are not only mysteries if you want them to be - they are blatant, in your face, ACTUAL MYSTERIES.

Is the origin of existence only a mystery if you want it to be? NO. It's actually odd, actually inexplicable and mysterious!

Please don't shut your eyes and use these odd buzzwords, it gives us a bad name.

I outlined 9 things which are actually and obviously difficult to explain, talking about Kansas doesn't change the validity of any of them - it only dodges the bullet


No you didn`t. You provided 9 very twisted and strained descriptions of things. The only mystery is why you did so.

Did you try tapping your heels together? How do you know it doesn`t work? After all, right there on Ytube you can see video evidence that it did work for little Judy. Personally I find both entertaining, but not at all descriptive of reality.

You didn`t ever suggest why you thought that those 9 were possible via any mechanism except thru twisted conspiracy trolling. How many tall buildings of which you know have burned, tipped over? Did the recent London apartment building tip over? If tipping over were the normal result of a massive fire you should have several examples to show.

When you offer up BS, you shouldn`t be surprised that it gets treated as such.



On the contrary, Grenfell tower didn't collapse at all even after burning for hours. That's the normal behaviour of a tower because they're structurally designed to withstand extreme disasters! And this was a poorly designed one!

To be clear you're telling me that when a fire starts at the top of a tower block with a steel structure, the entire thing demolishes and collapses in on itself, crumbling into the ground.

If Grenfel tower had suddenly collapsed in on itself like it was being demolished, everyone would be looking around for the demolition expert.

If witnesses had heard explosions and an arsonists passport managed to survive the fire and show up a few blocks away, then Grenfell would be quite the mystery. Agreed??

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm

Are any of you going to look at the link of opposing evidence from opposing experts that I laid out? Or has everyone made up their minds already

http://911research.wtc7.net/wtc/analysis/collapse.html

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:52 pm

Too Shocking for Rational Analysis

North Tower collapse
The North Tower explodes at 10:28 AM
In fifteen seconds the huge permanent steel structure of the South Tower disintegrated from top to bottom into an exploding cloud of rubble and dust. Twenty-nine minutes later the North Tower underwent the same process. Do buildings really fall through themselves like that, turning to dust in seconds? Is that really supposed to happen to a steel structure because of impacts and fires near the top? Perhaps not too many people were asking such questions because none of the series of events leading up to that were supposed to happen. We witnessed an increasingly improbable series of events, from a hijacking with knives, to a jet hitting a World Trade Center Tower, to multiple hijackings, to a second jet hitting the other Tower, to yet more hijackings, and a plane hitting the heart of the nation's military establishment. Each event in this series was more improbable than the last. So by the time we got to the collapsing skyscrapers part, we were conditioned to expect the unbelievable.

A rational look at the Twin Tower collapses reveals that the official story contradicts the laws of physics and the most basic knowledge of the behavior of steel structures, and matter itself.

"The Towers were designed to survive jet impacts of the type that happened on September 11th.
The fires were not very severe in the South Tower and were diminishing. Even severe fires would not have initiated a collapse.
Skyscapers have never collapsed due to fires or any other cause other than controlled demolition.
The Towers underwent explosive disintegrations that didn't look anything like the way such buildings would fall.
The destruction of the Towers displayed several unique features of controlled demolition.
There are relatively simple proofs that the buildings did not fall of their own weight."

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 pm

No Grenfell tower did not collapse, but more importantly it did not tip over. I don`t know, but I strongly suspect that Grenfell tower is not a steel constructed tower, but rather is ferro-concrete. I have not said that all steel towers will collapse on itself - but do suspect that NO steel tower where the fire started near the top will tip over due to a fire.

The easy answer for the passport is that it simply was not in the fire, but was ejected by the force of the collision, or by the force of the collapse. The collapse happened while the fire was still burning which is proof that combustable items had not yet burned.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 pm

I suspect that you do not know this, so offer it as information. Tall steel buildings have their steel coated by `flocking` - a spray of incombustible material several inches thick to prevent heat transfer in case of a fire. If a mechanical compromise of this covering occurs, the structure is no longer fireproof.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8186
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:11 pm

Sayer, I'm certainly no expert on this, but I could swear I remember something else happening to the tower in question apart from the fire.

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:23 pm

For me the oddity is just that they should completely be crushed and demolished like that.

I just can't conceive of flying a large vehicle into the top of a building and having the whole building collapse.
Completely internally collapse, like it had been demolished.

Watch videos of buildings being demolished and then videos of buses and planes being experimentally flow into walls.

The structures don't collapse. They're just not designed that way. I'm no structural engineer but I just struggle with the idea of hitting the top of a tower and having it be demolished....

Also, is anyone going to respond to the fact that the terrorists passport survived those temperatures and was actually found??

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19698
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Poodle wrote:Sayer, I'm certainly no expert on this, but I could swear I remember something else happening to the tower in question apart from the fire.

Yeah, maybe a plane flew into it or something?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Poodle wrote:Sayer, I'm certainly no expert on this, but I could swear I remember something else happening to the tower in question apart from the fire.

Yeah, maybe a plane flew into it or something?



That's the whole point...

A plane flew into the top of a building and fifteen seconds later the whole building collapsed in on itself, a phenomenal which has never happened outside of controlled demolitions.

I know you will redirect me to a site of structural engineers offering theories, but I've been to said site and it is full of nasty people trying to shut other people down and having egotistical wars. Furthermore, I have a site of another group of structural engineers offering an opposing opinion.

For me it hasn't really been sufficiently debunked.

And as I've repeated a few times, the terrorists passport survived heat that was hot enough to melt steel and was conveniently found a few blocks away. Is someone going to respond to that or are we still turning a blind eye.

And the 2.3 trillion announced missing from the defence budget that was displaced from the news and is still missing?

And the fact that the exact same media has already lied to us once before?

Can I have responses to those points that aren't either dodging the bullet or ad hominem but that actually explain them. Please.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8186
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Poodle » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:33 pm

sayer wrote:... A plane flew into the top of a building and fifteen seconds later the whole building collapsed in on itself, a phenomenal which has never happened outside of controlled demolitions ...

One hour and 42 minutes, sayer - an appreciable bit longer than your 15 seconds. How many more complete exaggerations do you have up your sleeve?

[Credibility factor very low and falling ... ... ... ...]

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Poodle wrote:
sayer wrote:... A plane flew into the top of a building and fifteen seconds later the whole building collapsed in on itself, a phenomenal which has never happened outside of controlled demolitions ...

One hour and 42 minutes, sayer - an appreciable bit longer than your 15 seconds. How many more complete exaggerations do you have up your sleeve?

[Credibility factor very low and falling ... ... ... ...]


Lol looks like I'm deeply misinformed on this topic.

PLEASE THOUGH - aside from highlighting my blatant and frequent errors, can somebody respond to one of the mysteries I'm NOT mistaken about such as the fact that the terrorists passport survived heat that was hot enough to melt steel and was found a few blocks away

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19658
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 pm

It most likely flew out during the impact and braking up of the plane and ended up where it was found like a bunch of other stuff.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:34 pm

sayer wrote:
Poodle wrote:
sayer wrote:... A plane flew into the top of a building and fifteen seconds later the whole building collapsed in on itself, a phenomenal which has never happened outside of controlled demolitions ...

One hour and 42 minutes, sayer - an appreciable bit longer than your 15 seconds. How many more complete exaggerations do you have up your sleeve?

[Credibility factor very low and falling ... ... ... ...]


Lol looks like I'm deeply misinformed on this topic.

PLEASE THOUGH - aside from highlighting my blatant and frequent errors, can somebody respond to one of the mysteries I'm NOT mistaken about such as the fact that the terrorists passport survived heat that was hot enough to melt steel and was found a few blocks away


I already addressed that above, so clearly in addition to a credibility problem, you have a reading comprehension problem. Unfortunately, I doubt that you are misinformed, but rather suspect that you are nothing more than a time wasting troll. Let’s see - where might one have enough time to troll us as you have now for quite a while - maybe locked up, interned in an asylum, or still in mama`s basement?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19698
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Poodle wrote:

[Credibility factor very low and falling ... ... ... ...]

Been in negative numbers for a long, long time.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26586
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 am

sayer wrote: Lol looks like I'm deeply misinformed on this topic.
You have posted incorrect fact, after incorrect fact, that you have quickly copied from "woo" websites. You seem to have only a vague notion about what happened and why the buildings collapsed.

Again, I strongly recommend you review the various woo claims being systematically debunked, by engineers on the International Skeptics sub forum devoted to debunking 9/11 claims.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... y.php?f=64

As for the recovered passport...... Have you listed all the other undamaged documents that were also recovered? Does the passport seem special in comparison?

As for hiding a financial scandal......the documents are generally all retrievable from other sources not in the towers. Creditors issue invoices, banks issue statements, suppliers receive payment and so on. That's what financial auditors review in their normal course of business.

User avatar
Hex
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1082
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:26 pm
Custom Title: mi malam ciuj el vi
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Hex » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:37 am

sayer wrote:Ad hominem is when the argument becomes about the individual rather than the point of discussion. I don't really know why you said 'hurt feelings' but that is ad hominem - you've successfully demonstrated it.

I contemplated replying to this because I'm not convinced you'll actually read it and are willing to try and understand it, but here I am anyway giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I'll use a simplified example of an ad hominem attack to help demonstrate why I didn't do that to you and why I said you just exhibited hurt feelings.

Let's say someone gave an argument about the moon landing being a hoax. Instead of addressing his argument I just said, "Well it is hard to take you seriously because you kick puppies." Kicking puppies had nothing to do with the argument, it says something about him as a person but is not related to the argument, nor was it directed in any way to whom he was talking to.

Now in your case, you presented an argument, then when people commented on your argument rather than further the discussion about your points you decided to become obnoxious and throw out accusations about there not being any real skeptics in this forum. I was addressing your behaviour within the discussion which directly relates to the people involved.

By trying to say I was perpetuating this fallacy against you, you are essentially saying, "I'm allowed to hurl insults at people, don't address that and the problem it creates in the tone and sincerity of my argument. Just take my abuse because I'm a special snowflake that is only allowed to do that." Which in a way is also a mechanism in trying to tell me to shut up and make me look like the bad guy.

Well as you are finding out, people on this forum don't let people do that. You'll find different approaches, there are people on here willing to put up with your attitude and engage with you, I, on the other hand, will restrict my engagement until such a time that I feel you are going to be sincere with your arguments.
Spoiler:
  TOYNBEE IDEA
IN KUBRICK'S 2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoaOJZ7Dfk

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29264
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:35 pm

sayer wrote:
Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:What's concerning for me is the active dismissal and conviction that one party or another is right.

Then stop doing it.


You stop first *sticks tongue out*.

We have smilies for that.

:P :nyaah: :sillywink: :razz: :neener: :beee: :fr4: :gurn: :tease: :laffout:

Wow, I hadn't noticed how many of them there were! I'll bet I missed a few, too.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26586
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Hex wrote: I contemplated replying to this because I'm not convinced you'll actually read it and are willing to try and understand it,
Wise words.

Sayer is very aware that his 9/11 mysteries can be dealt with quickly, on the International Skeptics Forum, sub forum that specifically deal with these 9/11 debunked issues. He chooses not to go there.
:D

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Hex wrote: I contemplated replying to this because I'm not convinced you'll actually read it and are willing to try and understand it,
Wise words.

Sayer is very aware that his 9/11 mysteries can be dealt with quickly, on the International Skeptics Forum, sub forum that specifically deal with these 9/11 debunked issues. He chooses not to go there.
:D


Bruh I am 99.99% sure that you also didn't go to the counter site I posted, stop being such a bully lol

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26586
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: Sayer is very aware that his 9/11 mysteries can be dealt with quickly, on the International Skeptics Forum, sub forum that specifically deal with these 9/11 debunked issues. He chooses not to go there. :D
sayer wrote: Bruh I am 99.99% sure that you also didn't go to the counter site I posted, stop being such a bully lol
Why should I? I'm not the one person asking questions about known debunked facts. You are!

User avatar
sayer
Poster
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:57 pm
Custom Title: Critical Thinker

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby sayer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: Sayer is very aware that his 9/11 mysteries can be dealt with quickly, on the International Skeptics Forum, sub forum that specifically deal with these 9/11 debunked issues. He chooses not to go there. :D
sayer wrote: Bruh I am 99.99% sure that you also didn't go to the counter site I posted, stop being such a bully lol
Why should I? I'm not the one person asking questions about known debunked facts. You are!


Chaaaaaaarge

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:20 am

Seems the street mummy sent you out to play in didn`t have enough traffic these past few days.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19658
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 am

Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:
Gord wrote:
sayer wrote:What's concerning for me is the active dismissal and conviction that one party or another is right.

Then stop doing it.


You stop first *sticks tongue out*.

We have smilies for that.

:P :nyaah: :sillywink: :razz: :neener: :beee: :fr4: :gurn: :tease: :laffout:

Wow, I hadn't noticed how many of them there were! I'll bet I missed a few, too.


:sick: :jester: :nyanya:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29264
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:48 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote: :neener:

:nyanya:

Whyyyyyyy?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19658
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 pm

:hmm: For the colorblind? :pardon:
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4205
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 pm

telegraph-----Three scientists investigating melting Arctic ice may have been assassinated, professor claims

Cambridge Professor Peter Wadhams suspects the deaths of the three scientists were more than just an ‘extraordinary’ coincidence
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.


Return to “Conspiracies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Archive.org [Crawler] and 1 guest