Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 am

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:
Gord wrote:Dude, I was just crankin' ya up! :mrgreen:

Crank him up. Crank him up he'll never stop, never stop. Never, never, never stop.

Why you should use "whom:"
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 pm

The Times-Union, Jacksonville, FL, p. A-5 today:

"3 US contractors dead in shooting" by Sudarson Raghavan and Missy Ryan,
The Washington Post

"...The killings served as a reminder of the threats faced by the roughly 10,600 US troops and tens of thousands of American contractors who remain in Afghanistan..." (emphasis mine)

It seems unlikely that the AP, handmaiden of the US powers-that-be, will acknowledge that tens of thousands of US contractors are employed in Afghanistan.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 pm

And who were those European and American guys who got shot up by somebody in a Libyan hotel?
Eh... they were the antiquities experts. :lol:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:38 am

The State Department is apparently trying to streamline its propaganda machine.

Stay tuned to the Associated Press for the latest flavor in Kool-Aid:

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/02/16/stat ... ropaganda/

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

A-number wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:What's up with all of the ------------------------------ dashes?

thank you!

I think you're losing it.
That was a pretty old and out of context thing to quote and there's no way it could be construed as a compliment.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 pm

---------------------------------------
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:46 pm

no need to get your panties in a twist A------number
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Sure, you're just shaving the sloth, but it's butthose in a wadi in these here parts.
Hi, Io the lurker.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:45 pm

see...^^ panties in a twist....

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Sure, you're just shaving the sloth.....

One of the greatest expressions ever invented by mankind, and from this very forum.
i-b187b796759a3ad0c46407b8f5c27a6f-Cerro_Azul_carcass_allegedly_18-9-2009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Not to derail this thread, but here's some entertaining evidence that TV media may be just as disreputable as the Associated Press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9x-yDyN78

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:16 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

One of the greatest expressions ever invented by mankind, and from this very forum.

:laff:

I had totally forgotten about that. Ah, good times.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:37 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

:laff:

I had totally forgotten about that. Ah, good times.

And thank you guys for those. :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:59 am

Sorry I mentioned the Associated Press. What was I thinking?

And no, my panties are NOT in a twist.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:10 am

Are they tinny?

(And are we pushing the envelope? :-P)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:57 am

Anyone seen this US nerve gas story in an Associated Press piece?
http://www.newsweek.com/how-us-nerve-ga ... -it-317250

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:02 am

No, but I've seen this:

Many of the symptoms of Gulf War syndrome are similar to the symptoms of organophosphate, mustard gas, and nerve gas poisoning. Gulf War veterans were exposed to a number of sources of these compounds, including nerve gas and pesticides.

Chemical detection units from Czechoslovakia, France, and Britain confirmed chemical agents. French detection units detected chemical agents. Both Czech and French forces reported detections immediately to U.S. forces. U.S. forces detected, confirmed, and reported chemical agents; and U.S. soldiers were awarded medals for detecting chemical agents. The Riegle Report said that chemical alarms went off 18,000 times during the Gulf War. After the air war started on January 16, 1991, coalition forces were chronically exposed to low but nonlethal levels of chemical and biological agents released primarily by direct Iraqi attack via missiles, rockets, artillery, or aircraft munitions and by fallout from allied bombings of Iraqi chemical warfare munitions facilities.

In 1997, the US Government released an unclassified report that stated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War_s ... erve_agent

"The US Intelligence Community (IC) has assessed that Iraq did not use chemical weapons during the Gulf war. However, based on a comprehensive review of intelligence information and relevant information made available by the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM), we conclude that chemical warfare (CW) agent was released as a result of US postwar demolition of rockets with chemical warheads in a bunker (called Bunker 73 by Iraq) and a pit in an area known as Khamisiyah."

Over 125,000 U.S. troops and 9,000 UK troops were exposed to nerve gas and mustard gas when the Iraqi depot in Khamisiyah was destroyed.

Recent studies have confirmed earlier suspicions that exposure to sarin, in combination with other contaminants such as pesticides and PB were related to reports of veteran illness. Estimates range from 100,000 to 300,000 individuals exposed to nerve agents.

While there are suggestions low-level exposure to nerve agents may be responsible for GWS, 2008 RAC report states that "evidence is inconsistent or limited in important ways".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Fri May 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Operation MOCKINGBIRD — The CIA begins recruiting American news organizations and journalists to become spies and disseminators of propaganda. The effort is headed by Frank Wisner, Allan Dulles, Richard Helms and Philip Graham. Graham is publisher of The Washington Post, which becomes a major CIA player.

Eventually, the CIA’s media assets will include ABC, NBC, CBS, Time, Newsweek, Associated Press, United Press International, Reuters, Hearst Newspapers, Scripps-Howard, Copley News Service and more. By the CIA’s own admission, at least 25 organizations and 400 journalists will become CIA assets.

---------------1. All history concerning CIA intervention in foreign countries is summarized from William Blum’s encyclopedic work, Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions since World War II (Monroe, Maine: Common Courage Press, 1995). Sources for domestic CIA operations come from Jonathan Vankin and John Whalen’s The 60 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time (Secaucus, N.J.: Citadel Press, 1997).

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat May 09, 2015 2:38 am

"Operation Stupid is officially over!": A Disturbia Review

A teen living under house arrest becomes convinced his neighbor is a serial killer (IMDb).

[Kale is watching him mow his lawn through a fence] Hey. What are you doing? What are doing? Looking at my garden? Is that it? You looking at my beautiful garden? Well, I caught you now. I got you. [Picks up a rabbit] Yeah, you're not gonna dig in my garden anymore.
Listen, I get. I went to school. There were plenty of teachers I wanted to just... kill.
So, he caught her on tape. I really didn't want this. All I wanted... was to live in peace, which is why we have to keep the spotlight on you. You've done most of the work already. You were the troubled neighborhood boy who cried wolf. But now, you are really going to snap. First, you killed your buddy... because he was calling your girlfriend behind your back. And now, we got to bring your mom over here... so you can slit her throat... because she just wouldn't stop blaming you for killing your dad. So it sounds good? Good? Pen and paper. [Hands Kale a pen and a piece of paper] Write this down: Dear Ashley, I killed Ronnie...
[Last words] You made me do this.

---------------7. On December 17, 2013, LaBeouf released his short film Howard Cantour.com to the Internet and shortly after several bloggers noted its close similarity to Justin M. Damiano, a 2007 comic by Ghost World creator Dan Clowes.[129] Wired journalist Graeme McMillan noted at least three similarities in their article, one of which was that the opening monologue for the short and the comic were identical.[130] LaBeouf would later remove the film and claim that he did not intend to copy Clowes but was instead "inspired" by him and "got lost in the creative process."[29] He followed this up with several apologies via Twitter writing, "In my excitement and naiveté as an amateur filmmaker, I got lost in the creative process and neglected to follow proper accreditation", and "I deeply regret the manner in which these events have unfolded and want @danielclowes to know that I have a great respect for his work". Clowes responded by saying "The first I ever heard of the film was this morning when someone sent me a link. I've never spoken to or met Mr. LaBeouf ... I actually can't imagine what was going through his mind."[131] LaBeouf was criticized over his apology, with some sites such as The A.V. Club noting that the apology itself appeared to have been lifted from a 2010 post on Yahoo! Answers.[132]
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 am

gorgeous wrote:Operation MOCKINGBIRD — The CIA begins recruiting American news organizations and journalists to become spies and disseminators of propaganda. The effort is headed by Frank Wisner, Allan Dulles, Richard Helms and Philip Graham. Graham is publisher of The Washington Post, which becomes a major CIA player.

Eventually, the CIA’s media assets will include ABC, NBC, CBS, Time, Newsweek, Associated Press, United Press International, Reuters, Hearst Newspapers, Scripps-Howard, Copley News Service and more. By the CIA’s own admission, at least 25 organizations and 400 journalists will become CIA assets.

---------------1. All history concerning CIA intervention in foreign countries is summarized from William Blum’s encyclopedic work, Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions since World War II (Monroe, Maine: Common Courage Press, 1995). Sources for domestic CIA operations come from Jonathan Vankin and John Whalen’s The 60 Greatest Conspiracies of All Time (Secaucus, N.J.: Citadel Press, 1997).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

Today it seems that propaganda is more informal. The powers-that-be (State Dept., Treasury Dept., Pentagon), have public relations offices that provide self-aggrandizing press releases from "unnamed sources," and the AP and NY Times report this as news.

For actual news I have Reuters and Anti-War.com on my favorites bar, and generally check them each day to see what's going on in the world; and I get the Times-Union (Jacksonville, FL) mainly to glace at the sports section and to read the Dilbert cartoon.

Forget TV news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguiAWrUGMM

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Sat May 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:...For actual news I have Reuters and Anti-War.com on my favorites bar.

Just curious… for everyone but Tom; where do you get the information you take into account when forming your concept of the world, that is, where do you get your news?

I prefer The Economist, and BBC (I know, "which part of the BBC"...), but I am open to suggestions.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm

I demand two opposing sources agreeing to something before I begin to accept it. Either that, or the Daily Show.
#ANDAMOVIE

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Sun May 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Frank Hoffman wrote:Just curious… for everyone but Tom; where do you get the information you take into account when forming your concept of the world, that is, where do you get your news?

I prefer The Economist, and BBC (I know, "which part of the BBC"...), but I am open to suggestions.

I enjoy the economist myself. Well minus the editorials and any coverage on british politics (they show a bit too heavily who they like and the articles are many times on tediums uninteresting to non-brits).

Otherwise major norwegian media, particularly the regional paper "Bergens Tidende". I also read a weekly "Morgenbladet" written by and for teachers/writers/culture folks a touch conservative politically speaking, which have good analysis and in-depth stuff normally.

I seem to prefer right-slanted papers. Probably because I want some friction in my reading. :) Give me friction, baby! (Points awarded for those who catch the reference)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Frank Hoffman
Poster
Custom Title: Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Postby Frank Hoffman » Mon May 11, 2015 3:11 am

Gord wrote:...Either that, or the Daily Show.

Quote from Sen. Bernie Sanders' Facebook feed:

"The bias of the mainstream media is toward sensationalism, conflict, and laziness."
- Jon Stewart

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon May 11, 2015 4:27 am

:bump:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon May 11, 2015 9:22 am

Fox News lies. Yes, we already know this, but this article picked the right poster boy for liar, Sean Hannity. And the guests for "opposing views" on his radio show (Don't watch him on TV.) are ridiculous straw men.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/09 ... are-false/

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:Fox News lies. Yes, we already know this, but this article picked the right poster boy for liar, Sean Hannity. And the guests for "opposing views" on his radio show (Don't watch him on TV.) are ridiculous straw men.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/09 ... are-false/

They only checked 93 FOX statements, 91 MSNBC statements, and 40 CNN statements which were all picked using their "news judgment", whatever that is. The process sounds open to bias.

But FOX still sucks. :P
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:33 am

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 am

The Associated Press continues to overtake Pravda in propaganda exceptionalism:
http://news.antiwar.com/2015/08/21/form ... e-forgery/

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:08 am

Tom-Palven wrote:The Associated Press has released several articles in the last few days announcing the The Sky is Falling in Egypt because democratically-elected president Mohammed Morsi has seized diatatorial powers. This may be true or partially true, but I am skeptical. What the AP omits is the fact that after Mubarak was overthrown and Morsi won the election, Mubarak's generals and his appointed judiciary disbanded the new parliament, and the US government continued to fund the old regime. This is exactly what has happened in Yemen where Ali Abdullah Saleh was overthrown by a popular revolt despite the use of US drone support and fled to the US temporarily, but the US has continued to support his military dictatorship.

Add to this that while the AP wrings its hands about a potential new dictatorship in Egypt, the US had supported the previous dictator and it continues to support other dictators such as the three king Abdullahs of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Morocco, among others.

The above was from back in 2012. I haven't seen any hand-wringing from the AP about brutal dictator General al-Sisi's seizure of dictatorial powers and imprisonment of winning Freedom and Justice Party parliamentary members and reporters.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:14 pm

The opposite side of the same publishing BS propaganda coin is avoiding coverage of issues embarrassing to the powers-that-be.

If anyone sees AP coverage of this issue below, please slap me up side the head with it.

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/09/18/cent ... t-welcome/

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

AP Robot Journalism

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:27 pm

AP stories are not only being written by human robots:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/3 ... 79210.html

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Automated drivel! Will wonders never cease?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:49 am

JO 753 wrote:Automated drivel! Will wonders never cease?

Remember these robots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dguiAWrUGMM

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:22 am

Wow!

I thot the stationz rote their own copy.

My Q iz; How do I get in in that?
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:58 pm

JO 753 wrote:Wow!

I thot the stationz rote their own copy.

My Q iz; How do I get in in that?

Your reading skills seem fine. A night class in journalism would help your credibility, and being a hot babe would help a lot.

Judging from your picture a makeover would take more work than it did for Bruce Jenner. Sorry, just sayin'.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmE0faHveQ

I wanted the episode where they makeover Jerry Springer, but coudnt find it.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:30 am

Tom-Palven wrote to JO:
Your reading skills seem fine. A night class in journalism would help your credibility, and being a hot babe would help a lot.

It's a big secret, but JO actually is a hot baby. She just has an unhealthy relationship with her avatar. :nuts:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:57 am

shshshs!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Dr. Paul Craig Roberts offers a different opinion on Russia than CNN, the TV version of the Associated Press imho.

He essentially agrees with Matt Taibbi (Rolling Stone), Max Keiser (Russia Today), and Glenn Greenwald (The Intercept.)
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/03/pau ... tions-cia/

Return to “Conspiracies”