The Associated Press

Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 am

I am beginning to think that Al Arabiya, an allegedly Saudi-owned news source started in 2003, is a subsidiary of the Associated Press and is the CIA/State Department answer to Al Jazeera, which seems , to me anyway, to present accurate and unbiased news.

Al Arabiya
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspec ... chool.html

Al Jazeera
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/middleea ... 18294.html
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

Medea Benjamin, The Guardian-- "The mainstream press just sold another American war."
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ar-in-iraq
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28972
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:47 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:... a subsidiary of the Associated Press and is the CIA/State Department answer to Al Jazeera, which seems , to me anyway, to present accurate and unbiased news.

Are you saying Al Jazeera is unbiased, or the alleged CIA/State Department section of the AP?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:52 am

Gord wrote:
Tom-Palven wrote:... a subsidiary of the Associated Press and is the CIA/State Department answer to Al Jazeera, which seems , to me anyway, to present accurate and unbiased news.

Are you saying Al Jazeera is unbiased, or the alleged CIA/State Department section of the AP?


I'm saying that Al Jazeera seems to print unbiased news, while Al Arabiya, founded in Saudi Arabia in 2003, and which often runs articles under the Associated Press banner, seems to be a subsidiary of the CIA or the US State Department office of public relations.

Here is a perfect propaganda story from Al Arabiya today that includes a picture from Reuters:
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/wo ... -U-S-.html
It is a US puff piece written by an unnamed "staff writer" and quotes "unnamed sources." :mrgreen:
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm

An alleged AP fabrication. Why? A CIA attempt to nudge King Abdullah?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeas ... 43576.html
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 pm

A headline of an AP story on the front page of today's Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville) reads :
Militant's truce challenges Obama's ground strategy
Subtitled "Islamic State, al-Qaida join forces in an ominous sign for rebel factions"

This is essentially the same story that circulated on Oct. 1
http://rt.com/news/191396-nusra-qaeda-a ... s-islamic/

Why again today, if not to give impetus to the neocon "More boots on the ground" mantra?

For what it's worth, I regard any piece from the AP citing unnamed sources from the State Department, Treasury Depart, or wherever, as propaganda- either a puff piece or disinformation.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:05 pm

A headline of an AP story on the front page of today's Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville) reads :
Militant's truce challenges Obama's ground strategy
Subtitled "Islamic State, al-Qaida join forces in an ominous sign for rebel factions"

This is essentially the same story that circulated on Oct. 1
http://rt.com/news/191396-nusra-qaeda-a ... s-islamic/

Why again today, if not to give impetus to the neocon "More boots on the ground" mantra?

For what it's worth, I regard any piece from the AP citing unnamed sources from the State Department, Treasury Depart, or wherever, as propaganda- either a puff piece or disinformation.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:22 am

Wow, this report from an Iranian news source that the US is intentionally aiding ISIS seems even more far-fetched than stuff from the Associated Press, but who the hell knows?

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.as ... 1015000873
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Flash » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:54 am

I also had read an article (gone now) on http://www.globalresearch.ca that the US is secretely helping the ISIS. I don't know how true this is but in a crazy American foreign policy everything is possible.

In such a case the Americans would be bombing ISIS in Iraq but helping them in Syria. And the Israelis and France would be arming the Kurds and the Saudis and the Emirates would be arming any certifiable loonie who hates the West. It's great to have such good friends in the Middle East isn't it.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-timeline-where-did-the-paris-shooters-get-their-weapons/5423445
Here is another article on the Global Research site which points out how France (and the US) armed the jihadis in Libya, Syria and Iraq.

It looks like France played this BS game from the beginning, eliminating the secular regimes in the Middle East and empowering the religious fanatics. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Can they be surprised that the terrorists that are causing havoc now are armed with rocket propelled grenades, fully automatic rifles, bullet proof vests and just ordinary boom, boom grenades.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:45 am

"We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject

to the bright lights of publicity during these years.

But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government.

The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable

to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries. "
David Rockefeller
C.F.R. and Trilateral Commission Founder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
'In March, 1915, the J.P. Morgan interests, the steel, shipbuilding, and powder interest, and their subsidiary organizations, got together 12 men high up in the newspaper world and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press...

They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers.'

'The world can therefore seize the opportunity [Persian Gulf crisis] to fulfill the long-held promise of a New World Order where diverse nations are drawn together in common cause to achieve the universal aspirations of mankind.'
George Herbert Walker Bush
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:34 am

gorgeous wrote:"We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject

to the bright lights of publicity during these years.

But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government.

The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable

to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries. "
David Rockefeller
C.F.R. and Trilateral Commission Founder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
'In March, 1915, the J.P. Morgan interests, the steel, shipbuilding, and powder interest, and their subsidiary organizations, got together 12 men high up in the newspaper world and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press...

They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers.'

'The world can therefore seize the opportunity [Persian Gulf crisis] to fulfill the long-held promise of a New World Order where diverse nations are drawn together in common cause to achieve the universal aspirations of mankind.'
George Herbert Walker Bush


Hello Gorgeous,

The Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex sure looks like a conspiracy, but imho it's just a confluence of interests that behave like a conspiracy without the clandestine meetings.

I'm not convinced that the World Bank/IMF isn't conspiratorial, though. Do you have a link to former CIA director G.H.W. Bush's comment?
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:42 am

Flash wrote:I also had read an article (gone now) on http://www.globalresearch.ca that the US is secretely helping the ISIS. I don't know how true this is but in a crazy American foreign policy everything is possible.

In such a case the Americans would be bombing ISIS in Iraq but helping them in Syria. And the Israelis and France would be arming the Kurds and the Saudis and the Emirates would be arming any certifiable loonie who hates the West. It's great to have such good friends in the Middle East isn't it.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-timeline-where-did-the-paris-shooters-get-their-weapons/5423445
Here is another article on the Global Research site which points out how France (and the US) armed the jihadis in Libya, Syria and Iraq.

It looks like France played this BS game from the beginning, eliminating the secular regimes in the Middle East and empowering the religious fanatics. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Can they be surprised that the terrorists that are causing havoc now are armed with rocket propelled grenades, fully automatic rifles, bullet proof vests and just ordinary boom, boom grenades.


Maybe the US is secretly helping ISIS, but on the other hand, Sometimes Tea Party Sweetheart Always a Politician, Rand Paul has come out and said that the US should support former State Department Public Enemy Number One"Worse than Hitler,Who Gassed His Own People," Syrian President for Life, Bashar Assad.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -isis.html

Go figure.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:13 pm

I can offer my own personal experience to support a newz media conspirasy.

I'v been doing the Nooalf thing for about 15 yirz now. Evry once in a wile, I'll try contacting reporterz, editorz, 'eye witness' report hotlinez, send out press releasez, etc. - wutever I can think uv. In all this time not a peep about it anywhere.

Meanwile, how many virtually insignificant storyz hav made it into the millionz uv paperz and nitely newz showz? The same old repetativ stream uv violence & mayhem & politics. Then therez the oddball storyz that are put in to fill space or time - cats stuck in treez, dum crooks doing sumthing dum, babyz born sumwhere other than a hospital, punks doing risky skatebord stunts, odd car crashez, weird science and medical storyz, anything that can be framed az a teazer to keep you watching till the end uv the show, or turn to the back page.

Then therez a constant torent uv press releasez to be found in trade magz and newz paperz that are either a product promo or, for example, the jigantic earth shaking newz that Bob Smith got promoted to plant manajer at Smith Glabtronics inc. in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin.

You coud dismiss it az 'nobody carez', but that woud strike down 90 % uv all the regular newz, 50% uv the weird goofy newz and 136% uv the press releas storyz. And it duznt quite work, kuz I get immediate and passionate response wenever I post the subject in a new forum. Sure, its mostly negativ, but its still interest.

Maybe the reporterz and editorz and produserz are also agenst the idea, so decide to squash it, but I'd think that at least occasionally I'd stumble across sumwun who duznt care about spelling, yet knowz it coud draw sum attention. At least stick it in the weird newz colum. "Wakko with numberz in hiz name aimz to replace English spelling". Nope. Lets go with 'pitbull chasez cat up a tree'. We havent dun wun uv thoze this week yet, hav we?

Seemz unlikely that therez a global conspiracy that woud care, but still.

Sum quik supporting evidence: http://www.care2.com/causes/pregnant-woman-saves-kitten-trapped-in-sewer.html In my email just now.

Google search - news: nooalf . All 3 posted by me in the comments uv a 'real' story.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:05 pm

I like your rant, JO. Think it's spot on in most ways, but I might be one of the co-conspirators who doubt that nooalf warrants a lot of attention.

I've not even been able to convince one person that the English language would be slightly simplified and improved by dropping the "m" from the useless word "whom."
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8008
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Poodle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:29 pm

To whom have you posed the question, Tom?

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
Flash wrote:I also had read an article (gone now) on http://www.globalresearch.ca that the US is secretely helping the ISIS. I don't know how true this is but in a crazy American foreign policy everything is possible.

In such a case the Americans would be bombing ISIS in Iraq but helping them in Syria. And the Israelis and France would be arming the Kurds and the Saudis and the Emirates would be arming any certifiable loonie who hates the West. It's great to have such good friends in the Middle East isn't it.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/a-timeline-where-did-the-paris-shooters-get-their-weapons/5423445
Here is another article on the Global Research site which points out how France (and the US) armed the jihadis in Libya, Syria and Iraq.

It looks like France played this BS game from the beginning, eliminating the secular regimes in the Middle East and empowering the religious fanatics. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Can they be surprised that the terrorists that are causing havoc now are armed with rocket propelled grenades, fully automatic rifles, bullet proof vests and just ordinary boom, boom grenades.


Maybe the US is secretly helping ISIS, but on the other hand, Sometimes Tea Party Sweetheart Always a Politician, Rand Paul has come out and said that the US should support former State Department Public Enemy Number One"Worse than Hitler,Who Gassed His Own People," Syrian President for Life, Bashar Assad.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... -isis.html

Go figure.

-------------------yep, I do believe our govt has supplied,trained, or created ISIS....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
gorgeous wrote:"We are grateful to the Washington Post, the New York Times, Time Magazine, and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject

to the bright lights of publicity during these years.

But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government.

The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable

to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries. "
David Rockefeller
C.F.R. and Trilateral Commission Founder

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------
'In March, 1915, the J.P. Morgan interests, the steel, shipbuilding, and powder interest, and their subsidiary organizations, got together 12 men high up in the newspaper world and employed them to select the most influential newspapers in the United States and sufficient number of them to control generally the policy of the daily press...

They found it was only necessary to purchase the control of 25 of the greatest papers.'

'The world can therefore seize the opportunity [Persian Gulf crisis] to fulfill the long-held promise of a New World Order where diverse nations are drawn together in common cause to achieve the universal aspirations of mankind.'
George Herbert Walker Bush


Hello Gorgeous,

The Military-Industrial-Congressional Complex sure looks like a conspiracy, but imho it's just a confluence of interests that behave like a conspiracy without the clandestine meetings.

I'm not convinced that the World Bank/IMF isn't conspiratorial, though. Do you have a link to former CIA director G.H.W. Bush's comment?

--------------------I will try to find it...,may have been in a collection of New World Order quotes by Bush sr. and others....
Last edited by gorgeous on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

What's up with all of the ------------------------------ dashes?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:04 pm

wikipedia-----------------Operation Mockingbird was a secret campaign by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to influence media. Begun in the 1950s, it was initially organized by Cord Meyer and Allen W. Dulles, it was later led by Frank Wisner after Dulles became the head of the CIA. The organization recruited leading American journalists into a network to help present the CIA's views, and funded some student and cultural organizations, and magazines as fronts. As it developed, it also worked to influence foreign media and political campaigns, in addition to activities by other operating units of the CIA.

In addition to earlier exposés of CIA activities in foreign affairs, in 1966 Ramparts magazine published an article revealing that the National Student Association was funded by the CIA. The United States Congress investigated, and published its report in 1976. Other accounts were also published. The media operation was first called Mockingbird in Deborah Davis's 1979 book, Katharine the Great: Katharine Graham and her Washington Post Empire
---------------------------------In 1948, Frank Wisner was appointed director of the Office of Special Projects (OSP). Soon afterwards OSP was renamed the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC). This became the covert action branch of the Central Intelligence Agency. Wisner was told to create an organization that concentrated on "propaganda, economic warfare; preventive direct action, including sabotage, anti-sabotage, demolition and evacuation measures; subversion against hostile states, including assistance to underground resistance groups, and support of indigenous anti-Communist elements in threatened countries of the free world."[2] Later that year Wisner established Mockingbird, a program to influence foreign media. Wisner recruited Philip Graham from The Washington Post to run the project within the industry. According to Deborah Davis in Katharine the Great; "By the early 1950s, Wisner 'owned' respected members of The New York Times, Newsweek, CBS and other communications vehicles."[3]

In 1951, Allen W. Dulles persuaded Cord Meyer to join the CIA. However, there is evidence that he was recruited several years earlier and had been spying on the liberal internationalist organizations he had been a member of in the late 1940s.[4] According to Deborah Davis, Meyer became Mockingbird's "principal operative."[5]
-------------------------After 1953, the network was overseen by Allen W. Dulles, director of the CIA. By this time, Operation Mockingbird had a major influence over 25 newspapers and wire agencies. The usual methodology was placing reports developed from intelligence provided by the CIA to witting or unwitting reporters. Those reports would then be repeated or cited by the preceding reporters which in turn would then be cited throughout the media wire services. These networks were run by people with well-known liberal but pro-American big business and anti-Soviet views such as William Paley (CBS), Henry Luce (Time and Life Magazine), Arthur Hays Sulzberger (New York Times), Alfred Friendly (managing editor of the Washington Post), Jerry O'Leary (Washington Star), Hal Hendrix (Miami News), Barry Bingham, Sr. (Louisville Courier-Journal), James Copley (Copley News Services) and Joseph Harrison (Christian Science Monitor).[7]

The Office of Policy Coordination (OPC) was funded by siphoning off funds intended for the Marshall Plan. Some of this money was used to bribe journalists and publishers. Frank Wisner was constantly looking for ways to help convince the public of the dangers of Soviet communism. In 1954, Wisner arranged for the funding of the Hollywood production of Animal Farm, the animated allegory based on the book written by George Orwell.[8]

According to Alex Constantine (Mockingbird: The Subversion of the Free Press by the CIA), in the 1950s, "some 3,000 salaried and contract CIA employees were eventually engaged in propaganda efforts". Wisner was able to constrain newspapers from reporting about certain events, including the CIA plots to overthrow the governments of Iran (see: Operation Ajax) and Guatemala (see: Operation PBSUCCESS).[9]
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:06 pm

Poodle wrote:To who have you posed the question, Tom?


The last time I posed the question was in a thread titled Drop the word "whom"? over at Discussion World Forum. Nobody thought it was a good idea, but then again...

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,272

Drop the word "whom"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To whom this may concern" has the same meaning as "To who this may concern."

Are there any instances where "whom" clarifies anything, or adds extra meaning to the word "who"?

If the word "whom" adds no meaning, and only adds to confusion as to when it "should" be used, would it be okay if we just eliminated it?
__________________
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8008
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Poodle » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 pm

I saw what you did there!

I'm a language snob. My language contains a lot of my history. I like it that way. You have chosen an example which appears to be redundant, I agree, but taking things to there ekstreems perdooses ugli and orkwood stuf wich loozes orl its romants.

Dontcha think?

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:I might be one of the co-conspirators who doubt that nooalf warrants a lot of attention.


Google search - newz: cat stuck in. 360,000 rezults. My point being, wut duz warrant alot uv attention hav to do with it?

Maybe EVERYBODY iz part uv the conspiracy! The same get-them-while-they-are-young grammar skool brainwashing program that stuffs this mess in our hedz includez a command to supress any attempt to chanje it!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Doubting Thomas
Poster
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Doubting Thomas » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:19 pm

"Whom is never the subject of a verb. (Who, on the other hand, is always the subject of a verb.)"

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/who_whom.htm

Also, "To whom this may concern" has the same meaning as "To who this may concern."

added: It may produce the same meaning, but not grammatically correct; "whom" must always follow a preposition.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28972
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:02 am

1. People like cats. Cranks who want to change the spelling of everything, which would cause massive confusion at first and have unimagined end results, are also likeable, but not as much as cats.

(And I hate cats.)

2. "Whom" has a separate meaning from "who" in the same way that "him" has a separate meaning from "he".

"He gave it to him."
"Who gave it to whom?"

For people who understand this (and other such rules of English that are generally considered "hard", like the "then/than" thing and the "lay/lie" thing), it expands the language in ways that are hard to explain to those who don't understand. Imagine if a group of people didn't know how to add single digit numbers together, and as a result wanted to ban addition; people who "get it" will see no reason to ban it, and in fact will be aware of the loss that would be incurred by doing so.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:51 am

1. Massiv confusion iz only ill considered nee-jerk speculation and I can imajin the end rezults quite eazily.

2. Then whym iznt there a 'whatm', 'wherem' and 'howm' to match?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:26 pm

Doubting Thomas wrote:"Whom is never the subject of a verb. (Who, on the other hand, is always the subject of a verb.)"

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/who_whom.htm

Also, "To whom this may concern" has the same meaning as "To who this may concern."

added: It may produce the same meaning, but not grammatically correct; "whom" must always follow a preposition.


Mark Twain, a great and hysterically funny American author, didn't graduate from grammar school and might not have known what a verb is, much less that "whom is never the subject of a verb" and "must always follow a preposition."

Maybe he was fortunate that no neurons and synapses were sacrificed in storing that dubiously valuable information. :mrgreen:
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28972
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:48 pm

JO 753 wrote:1. Massiv confusion iz only ill considered nee-jerk speculation and I can imajin the end rezults quite eazily.

Sure, but who would go on the imagination of a crank? :mrgreen:

Besides, massive confusion is the obvious outcome of any change in communication stylings. It happens every time an entire language undergoes sweeping spelling reforms. (I made that last part up 'cause I have no evidence from which to reach such a conclusion.)

2. Then whym iznt there a 'whatm', 'wherem' and 'howm' to match?

Because, for instance, "that" is the "whom" to "what"'s "who". Likewise, "there" and "where" are the "who" and "whom" of locational pronouns.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Gu?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:01 pm

JO 753 wrote:Gu?
I like the "wherem," JO, but "Gu" escapes me. :?:
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Thats wut they say wen they are very confuzed in Springfield. Therez a progressiv variety: Wut? Wu? Hu? Du? Gu? I think there may be Bu? beyond that, but I only vagely recall Bart saying that wuns.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:01 am

JO 753 wrote:Thats wut they say wen they are very confuzed in Springfield. Therez a progressiv variety: Wut? Wu? Hu? Du? Gu? I think there may be Bu? beyond that, but I only vagely recall Bart saying that wuns.


Love it. The reporter's scoop: whom, whatem, whym, whenm wherem, howm. :D
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12145
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby JO 753 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:13 am

Gord wrote:Sure, but who would go on the imagination of a crank? :mrgreen:


I wuz going to dispute the 'crank' label on the groundz that I am rite, but apparently your are correct.

From Marriam Webster'z:

: a machine part with a handle that can be turned in a circular motion to move something

: a person who has strange ideas or thinks too much about one thing

: a person who is often angry or easily annoyed


Thats me on all 3 counts!
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28972
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Gord » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:29 am

JO 753 wrote:
Gord wrote:Sure, but who would go on the imagination of a crank? :mrgreen:

I wuz going to dispute the 'crank' label on the groundz that I am rite, but apparently your are correct.

Dude, I was just crankin' ya up! :mrgreen:

From Marriam Webster'z:

: a person who has strange ideas or thinks too much about one thing

Well there ya go: And all this time I thought a crank had to be someone who continually bothered other people about his strange ideas. I was wrong. Apparently one can keep one's strange ideas all to oneself and still be a crank!

...my god, everyone I've ever met is a crank.... :mind...blown:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:42 am

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:
Gord wrote:Dude, I was just crankin' ya up! :mrgreen:


Crank him up. Crank him up he'll never stop, never stop. Never, never, never stop.

Why you should use "whom:"
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 pm

The Times-Union, Jacksonville, FL, p. A-5 today:

"3 US contractors dead in shooting" by Sudarson Raghavan and Missy Ryan,
The Washington Post

"...The killings served as a reminder of the threats faced by the roughly 10,600 US troops and tens of thousands of American contractors who remain in Afghanistan..." (emphasis mine)

It seems unlikely that the AP, handmaiden of the US powers-that-be, will acknowledge that tens of thousands of US contractors are employed in Afghanistan.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Flash » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:44 pm

And who were those European and American guys who got shot up by somebody in a Libyan hotel?
Eh... they were the antiquities experts. :lol:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:38 am

The State Department is apparently trying to streamline its propaganda machine.

Stay tuned to the Associated Press for the latest flavor in Kool-Aid:

http://news.antiwar.com/2015/02/16/stat ... ropaganda/
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: The Associated Press

Postby Austin Harper » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:20 pm

A-number wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:What's up with all of the ------------------------------ dashes?


thank you!

I think you're losing it.
That was a pretty old and out of context thing to quote and there's no way it could be construed as a compliment.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:24 pm

---------------------------------------
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4060
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: The Associated Press

Postby gorgeous » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:46 pm

no need to get your panties in a twist A------number
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.


Return to “Conspiracies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest