The Associated Press

Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

The Associated Press

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:48 pm

The contention that AP reporters seem to report without question "facts" proffered by Pentagon and State Dept sources is not to imply conspiracy, but only to suggest that reporters who question the information provided to them too often, or neglect to publish it, may risk getting future "inisde information", thus jeopardizing their reporting abilities and possible promotions.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Re: The Associated Press

Postby KnaveOfHearts » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:33 pm

I would agree with this. I would also assume with a shall we say organization as tight lipped as the Pentagon, if a reporter or news source jilted them too often it would be just as easy for that news source to be left out of the loop
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Doesn't that apply to every organization's relation to the media? Generally, you dont give scoops to the guys that have it in for you. As an organization, you want to control your message. Not necessarily out of conspiracy and nasty motives, but just as often through the wish of being understood correctly.

Problematic, but it's the name of the game. Any media outlet will drool over an "exclusive" to get news out before others. I have no idea how to keep that from happening, except through massive self-restraint and principled rejection of "exclusives" by the media. Not seeing that happen anytime soon though.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Postby KnaveOfHearts » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

This is also very true. I think that where Tom was going though is that being a Government/military organization the Pentagon easily falls into the realm of conspiracies given the amount of classified data they deal with.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I'll buy that! :mrgreen:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:39 am

Libyan intelligence documents show ties to CIA - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/libyan-intelligen ... 50383.html

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — The CIA worked closely with Moammar Gadhafi's intelligence services in the rendition of terror suspects to Libya for interrogation, according to documents seen Saturday by the AP, cooperation that could spark tensions between Washington and Libya's new rulers.

This was an exclusive story by the Associated Press, which I've long considered to be the handmaiden of the State Dept and the Pentagon. Why would the AP run a story that discredits the CIA? Could it be because it discredits Caddophy even more, in the eyes of the Libyans? Note that the AP had another exclusive recently that Caddophy's
sons had been captured, which cheered the rebels, but proved untrue. For actual news McClatchy seems very reliable compared to the AP.

This may be a relevant site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychologi ... ted_States)
(I don't know why the above site doesn't paste right, but hit "Psychological Operations United States" when you get there.)

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Libyan intelligence documents are and always have been highly reliable. So I would be perfectly happy to accept such documents on their face value without question.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:Libyan intelligence documents are and always have been highly reliable. So I would be perfectly happy to accept such documents on their face value without question.

But who is saying that they are Libyan intlligence documents? I'm sure that PSYOPs can manufacture that kind of stuff in a heartbeat, (although they are as pure as the driven snow and would never do that kind of thing :mrgreen: )
http://www.lewrockwell.com/latulippe/latulippe41.html

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Libyan intelligence documents are and always have been highly reliable. So I would be perfectly happy to accept such documents on their face value without question.

But who is saying that they are Libyan intlligence documents? I'm sure that PSYOPs can manufacture that kind of stuff in a heartbeat, (although they are as pure as the driven snow and would never do that kind of thing :mrgreen: )
http://www.lewrockwell.com/latulippe/latulippe41.html

Casting even more doubt on the veracity of the documents. I'm sure the folks that make Charmin would be interested in them.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

Don't most scoops come from anonymous inside sources, anyway? Like, say, disaffected intelligence personal, for instance?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:09 pm

Gord wrote:Don't most scoops come from anonymous inside sources, anyway? Like, say, disaffected intelligence personal, for instance?

Real scoops of inside info often do come from disaffected former employees, but the AP seems to take virtual press releases handed to them by State Dept and Pentagon officials and print this as news from unnamed inside sources whereas McClatchy seems to actually go out and find the news. Once you start checking the bylines, I'll think you'll notice the difference. The one "story" that, to me, really tops them all is the AP continuing to repeat the lie that Hamas took power in Gaza through a coup after they handily won the much-heralded elections there. (Stuff like, "Hamas the friggin' bastards on the US terrorism list, who took over Gaza in an armed coup, announced today... :roll: )

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 am

The words Al-qaeda, Taliban, and Muslim brotherhood may have lost the fear-power needed to whip up support for the US bombing of Pakistan and'or Iran, but not to worry. The Pentagon and it's mouthpiece, the Associated Press have come with with a newer and better enemy, (and I tremble as I type the) the dread Haqqani Network![

[b]Pentagon: Haqqani group behind Afghan bombing
By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press – Sep 12, 2011
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Haqqani insurgent network was behind the powerful truck bomb that wounded 77 U.S. soldiers and killed five Afghans, the Pentagon said Monday.The Taliban had claimed responsibility for the Saturday attack outside a combat outpost in eastern Wardak province. But Defense Department press secretary George Little said Monday that it was Haqqani operatives, adding it was highly likely their top leadership supported and was aware of the attack.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Postby bigtim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:39 am

I also see it as a laziness and trusting of reporters today. Too many of them just regurgitate the hand-outs they're given instead of actually doing... I don't know... real reporting...
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:42 am

bigtim wrote:I also see it as a laziness and trusting of reporters today. Too many of them just regurgitate the hand-outs they're given instead of actually doing... I don't know... real reporting...

Paul Craig Roberts has some choice words about the Haqqani here:
http://lewrockwell.com/roberts/roberts326.html

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Something that you're not going to get from the Associated Press, which relies heavily on "undisclosed sources" from the State Dept and Pentagon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Ws0Xy4QjE

slee

Postby slee » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:16 pm

A couple of weekd ago on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, he was mocking mainstream media, he even spoke of the letter that news medias receive daily of 'points of interest' that the news should cover, I can't remember what he called the letter though.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:44 am

Again, interesting, but come on slee, get us more to go on! Take notes! :D

slee

Postby slee » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 am

Tom-Palven wrote:Again, interesting, but come on slee, get us more to go on! Take notes! :D

Yes, I should start saving more of the articles, I rarely post in forums so I have no need for saving them after I read them, but it reminded me of Conan mocking the news about him showing a same sex wedding on his show, perfect example of multi news medias reading from the same page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GME5nq_oSR4

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:11 am

This same kind of thing happens in horticulture, too. Like, back in Year One someone said that Swamp Magnolia flowers, or Moonflowers are very fragrant, and every book and article that mentions them since will say the same thing, although I've never found either of them to have any scent at all.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: the massacre in Afghanistan, today's Associated Press headlines are Soldier's Identifty Stuns Neighbors....and so on.

McClatchy News, on the other hand reported that Karzai scoffed at the lone gunman version, and said that people in the two separate villages where the murders occured claimed that up to thirty soliders were involved. Early reports that I heard were that three gunman were involved. You have to look a little bit to find the McClatchy story, which, perhaps like the current Doonesbury, may have been black-listed.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2012 ... -killings/

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 am

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:28 am

Mark Twain? on newspapers:

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed." Author unknown. Commonly attributerd to Mark Twain.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:06 pm

Interview with Julian Assange which gives a couple of insights into mainstream media corruption.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Interview with Julian Assange which gives a couple of insights into mainstream media corruption.

Thank you. Very interesting. I think that Flash would find it interesting, too.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Interview with Julian Assange which gives a couple of insights into mainstream media corruption.

If Assange is correct, then it's only a matter of time before RT and Al Jazeera suffer the same fate.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tom-Palven wrote:

If Assange is correct, then it's only a matter of time before RT and Al Jazeera suffer the same fate.

Yes. Not a conspiracy, but just the way things evolve and get co-opted. At least so far Assange seems to remain true to himself, despite pressure, carrots and sticks, from the powers that be.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Letter Titled "A Gripe" mailed to the The Times-Union, Jacksonville, FL, today:

In BRIEFS from news services in today's paper, a blurb titled "Israel: Troops stop ship going to Gaza," it is stated that "the sea embargo of Gaza was imposed after the Islamic militant Hamas group seized the territory in 2007." Hamas didn't "seize" the territory, but handily won the democratic election highly touted by George Bush and Condoleezza Rice. I expect this kind of BS from State Dept press releases, but I'd hope that an actual quality private newspaper could do better.
Tom Palven

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 am

The Associated Press has released several articles in the last few days announcing the The Sky is Falling in Egypt because democratically-elected president Mohammed Morsi has seized diatatorial powers. This may be true or partially true, but I am skeptical. What the AP omits is the fact that after Mubarak was overthrown and Morsi won the election, Mubarak's generals and his appointed judiciary disbanded the new parliament, and the US government continued to fund the old regime. This is exactly what has happened in Yemen where Ali Abdullah Saleh was overthrown by a popular revolt despite the use of US drone support and fled to the US temporarily, but the US has continued to support his military dictatorship.

Add to this that while the AP wrings its hands about a potential new dictatorship in Egypt, the US had supported the previous dictator and it continues to support other dictators such as the three king Abdullahs of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Morocco, among others.

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:21 am

I'm also in the "wait and see" camp about Morsi's actions.
On the one hand, it might be that he needs such powers to cut through the old establishment.
On the other hand, it might be that he gets a bit too much power and falls for the temptation to misuse it to his party's advantage. There are numerous historical examples of people fighting a good fight from the outset, but end up being quite atrocious when installed to power.

I'm withholding my judgement until I see some practical consequences of this move.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:19 am

'Ah, all things come to those who wait,'
(I say these words to make me glad),
But something answers soft and sad,
'They come, but often come too late.'
Violet Fane.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:33 pm

Americano at Discussion World Forum.com mentioned that the State Dept Office of Public Affairs is sometimes known as the Ministry of Propaganda, where the AP must get most of its leaks and press releases on foreign policy, and I then searched for some other offices of public affairs.
I found that the CIA also has an office touting Big Brother
https://www.cia.gov/offices-of-cia/publ ... index.html

And that the Defense Dept has an assistant secretary for this stuff:
http://www.defense.gov/pubs/almanac/asdpa.aspx

And I also came across an interesting article on the National Security Agency (NSA)
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2 ... c_rel.html

I’ll check out Homeland Security later..

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

The US government repealed the ban on domestic propaganda, but that hardly seemed necessary (see post above):

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... _americans

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Everyone in the world, except United Statesians, can see that they're on the path to fascism, and have been for a long time.

It's going to end poorly.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:The US government repealed the ban on domestic propaganda, but that hardly seemed necessary (see post above):

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts ... _americans

There is, tragically, no news in any of this, to offer only ONE flagrant example from our history of delusions based on faith in increasingly questionable institutions.

You are talking about a media AND itsofficial sources that for years - two decades really - created an audience that not only listened to one Walter Cronkite read (with a straight face) the official U.S.. military body counts from Vietnam: VietCong 3000 killed , US 2 , but refused to question the integrity of the savant.
Every Thursday, year in and year out, those preposterous body counts were read to an American audience by the "most trusted voice in America."

When finally after the Tet Offesive in 1968, , the fantasy of our not only winning the war but of being on the side of right became too impossible, Cronkite went before the flattering cameras and announced that HENCEFORTH he could not support the war, and claiming he had been somewhat duped by official exaggerations if not outright lies.
Overnight, instead of being laughed off the stage of journalism in any of its questionable permutations, Crokite became the "the MOST TRUSTED MAN IN AMERICA..." the names and indeed the actions of anti-war protesters who had paid dearly for their attention to our ignoble deeds and political relationships lost in the dust, never having heard any redress for their grievances.
Does anyone reading the various questionable reportage that Americans are subjected to, inundated with, every day from both government AND media sources that were Walter Cronkite to be dragged from his grave,his bones dressed in a suit and tie, and given a microphone and camera, he would not be elected President of the U.S... tomorrow?
By a huge majority?
We are a nation desperate to be deluded forever, loathe to give up our old mythologies and willing to believe any new ones, now against government, but in our inherent exceptionalism nevertheless.
Especially those blatant lies that permit us to think that this IS NOT going to end badly. but that we will always be not only in the right but the winners even with "right " being questionable.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Everyone in the world, except United Statesians, can see that they're on the path to fascism, and have been for a long time.

It's going to end poorly.

Oh yeah!!
We haven't REALLY put our shoulders to the wheel yet!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hRDS3LvQQ

Besides, we have no quarrel with fascism, certainly not abroad, and .... yes.... not even here., where few voices get the respect that accrues to the potential Secret Police operative with aspirations to glory to come.
And keep a civil tongue in your head, Buster, 'cause we COULD be coming to a theater near YOU.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 pm

NMB,
Your statement that "We are a nation desperate to be deluded forever..." reminds me of Vladimir Posner's book, Parting with Illusions, that I read a couple of weeks ago. He was born in France to a French Catholic mother and a communist Russian father of Jewish descent.

As I recall, Posner's parents moved to the US when he was around 3, and he went though grade school and high school here, and became a big Brooklyn Dodger fan. His father was black-listed as a commie, lost his job, and the family moved to Germany, longing to get to Russia where Posner and his father expected to see a worker's paradise. They got to Russsia and after being disillusioned there, many years later Posner was able to return to the US, what he thought woul be a relative paradise, and was disillusioned again. He had become a journalist and later became a spokesperson for Gorbachev, and expected great things from Perestroika and Glastnost. Posner is still alive, in his mid-70's and I imagine, like the rest of us, I think, he must be somewhat disappointed about how things are shaping up now in both the US and Russia. Reagan's "Beacon of a HIll" was a myth whose time has passed, but least we weren't born in Sudan or Saudi Arabia.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:32 pm

Tom-Palven wrote:NMB,
Your statement that "We are a nation desperate to be deluded forever..." reminds me of Vladimir Posner's book, Parting with Illusions, that I read a couple of weeks ago. He was born in France to a French Catholic mother and a communist Russian father of Jewish descent.

As I recall, Posner's parents moved to the US when he was around 3, and he went though grade school and high school here, and became a big Brooklyn Dodger fan. His father was black-listed as a commie, lost his job, and the family moved to Germany, longing to get to Russia where Posner and his father expected to see a worker's paradise. They got to Russsia and after being disillusioned there, many years later Posner was able to return to the US, what he thought woul be a relative paradise, and was disillusioned again. He had become a journalist and later became a spokesperson for Gorbachev, and expected great things from Perestroika and Glastnost. Posner is still alive, in his mid-70's and I imagine, like the rest of us, I think, he must be somewhat disappointed about how things are shaping up now in both the US and Russia. Reagan's "Beacon of a HIll" was a myth whose time has passed, but least we weren't born in Sudan or Saudi Arabia.

Good god!! I had forgotten about Posner, who did manage to have his 15 minutes of fame - limited of course to people who had some interest in the failure or the Revolution in Russia. (an increasingly small crowd).
Thanks Tom... I love strolling down Red Menace memory lane, every now and them...and there aren't a lot of parters whose memories or awareness can last even a short walk.
There is that.
And also that NOT being born in the Sudan OR Saudi Arabia, is certainly a boon, and I certainly LOVE the accident of geography that had ME emerging from the womb in
New York City.. but that isn't good enough any more as as either a political position, or a barricade from which to wave a flag.
Those are extreme examples, as we aren't seen as the light to the world any more.
WHen people come here now, (and the numbers ARE going down) it is less for our superior human values -land of the free and the brave - and more because even a terrible job (or three terrible jobs) is better than seeing one's children starve to death...

Norma
Skepticism:

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

PS, NMB,
I gave that book away ($.01 plus $3.99 postage in soft or hard cover used at Amazon) and just checked and saw that it was published in 1990. Among the multitudes of things I've forgotten since the 1980's was that Pozner and Phil Donahue did a series of TV shows together, sometimes broadcast both here and in Russia in a constructive attempt to start a dialogue and diminish the cold war. Pozner had only the very nicest things to say about Donahue in the book.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm

PS, NMB,
I gave that book away ($.01 plus $3.99 postage in soft or hard cover used at Amazon) and just checked and saw that it was published in 1990. Among the multitudes of things I've forgotten since the 1980's was that Pozner and Phil Donahue did a series of TV shows together, sometimes broadcast both here and in Russia in a constructive attempt to start a dialogue and diminish the cold war. Pozner had only the very nicest things to say about Donahue in the book.

Return to “Conspiracies”