Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Who else knows what we know, Jerry?
Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 am

gorgeous wrote:wiki------"House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties "----is a 2004 book by Craig Unger that explores the relationship between the Saudi Royal Family and the Bush extended political family. Unger asserts that the groundwork for today's terrorist movements and the modern wars that have sprung up about them was unintentionally laid more than 30 years ago with a series of business deals between the ruling Saudis and the powerful Bush family. The Saudis received investments and military protection in exchange for cooperation on lucrative oil deals. The author claims that the result has been a shady alliance between "the world's two most powerful dynasties." Unger writes, "Never before has an American president been so closely tied to a foreign power that harbors and supports our country's mortal enemies."



And now Saudi Arabia is allied with Netanyahu's Israel and General al-Sisi's Egypt, the brutality of those three regimes making George Bush's "Axis of Evil" look like Our Gang.
http://www.answers.com/Q/Which_countrie ... is_of_evil
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14678
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:28 am

Tom Palven wrote:And now Saudi Arabia is allied with Netanyahu's Israel and General al-Sisi's Egypt, the brutality of those three regimes making George Bush's "Axis of Evil" look like Our Gang.

And all backed by USA. "our" is a possessive. Gives USA time to tcob of its own?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Qanon

Postby Wordbird » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:39 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I'll just assume I don't understand the point you are making?


I said, here is why I don't like libertarianism.

He countered with an example of government doing something unsavoury.

Yes, government does lots of stuff wrong. I still prefer it to having no government.

The argument he's trying to make is akin to saying that because no parents are perfect, we should shoot them all and let the children run wild in the streets.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14678
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Qanon

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:22 am

Wordbird wrote:Yes, government does lots of stuff wrong. I still prefer it to having no government.
Including most common sense assumptions, I agree. But we should all be able to construct unlikely scenarios where that is not true?

Wordbird wrote: The argument he's trying to make is akin to saying that because no parents are perfect, we should shoot them all and let the children run wild in the streets.
....and that argument makes no sense to me, nor would anyone making it have much credibility........can't think of any scenario otherwise.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 am

Tom Palven wrote:And now Saudi Arabia is allied with Netanyahu's Israel and ........

Don't worry about Tom Palven. He just copies stuff from extreme right websites or makes stuff up. Tom is a Trump fan and generally just regurgitates Russian scripted talk points about "the evil USA".

Saudi Arabia and Israel don't have any formal diplomatic relationships at all. They simply have a common enemy, which is Iran. They share anti Iranian intelligence through the USA.

Saudi Arabia still bans any flights to Israel from flying over Saudi Arabia.
:D

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:18 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Don't worry about Tom Palven. He just copies stuff from extreme right websites or makes stuff up.



A little book that I highly recommend is Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace by Gore Vidal.
https://www.amazon.com/Perpetual-War-Pe ... gore+vidal

Would you call Gore Vidal a right-winger?
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31649
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:35 am

Tom Palven wrote:Would you call Gore Vidal a right-winger?

Gore Vidal was complicated.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/eul ... _n_1737252

Vidal’s extreme late-in-life beliefs, however, weren't deviations from an otherwise noble record. They were the natural progression of thought in a man whose worldview was fundamentally racist and elitist, motivated by the fear that the reign of his own caste was ending as the walls of aristocratic privilege crumbled in the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust. Vidal was a paradigmatic, almost stereotypical representative of the traditional American elite—WASP lineage, prep schools, money, connections. Fashioning himself a latter-day Henry Adams, a valiant upholder of a civilization under siege—he compared America to Rome in its decadence—he repeatedly denigrated those arriviste groups he considered less than fully American.


https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... n-apology/

He may have been "left-wing" when it came to his home and the people he related to, but when it came to other nations and other "peoples" he was pretty "right-wing".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21817
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:07 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:Don't worry about Tom Palven. He just copies stuff from extreme right websites or makes stuff up.



A little book that I highly recommend is Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace by Gore Vidal.
https://www.amazon.com/Perpetual-War-Pe ... gore+vidal

Would you call Gore Vidal a right-winger?

He is/was a conspiracy nut.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9536
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

I thought that was the name of a hair treatment - maybe a shampoo. :?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21817
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:02 pm

TJrandom wrote:I thought that was the name of a hair treatment - maybe a shampoo. :?

That's his brother, Sassoon.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Gord wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:Would you call Gore Vidal a right-winger?


Gore Vidal was complicated...
He may have been "left-wing" when it came to his home and the people he related to, but when it came to other nations and other "peoples" he was pretty "right-wing".



Vidal's book is composed of a long list of US military operations since the end of WW II, and it's the facts that I'm most interested in.

However, if his credentials aren't left-wing enough for you, how about William Blum, who wrote America's Deadliest Export: Democracy- The Truth about US Foreign Policy and Everything Else?
https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Deadlie ... blum+books

My point is that I am not a right-winger as Matt continues to bleat on about. My sympathies lie with the old left-wing peace movement, and my current heroes, Snowden, Assange, and Manning, certainly can't be branded as right-wingers.

Matthew, on the other hand, considers Snowden, Assange, and Manning to be his bitter enemies, and his heroes include neoconservatives like John Brennan, Dick Cheney, James Clapper, Bibi Netanyahu, and the cabal that runs the CIA which in turn controls STRATCOM, NSA, CENTCOM, ASIS, INSCOM, the Pentagon, the State Department, etc., etc., and their vast number of employees.

As I have pointed out numerous times, the appearance that the US Commander-in-Chief and the US Congress actually control US foreign policy only occurs when they are in lockstep with the neoconservative CIA agenda, and as Chuck Schumer said, if you are not in lockstep with them, watch out.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... -community

The neoconservative agenda demands that North Korea, Iran, Syria, China, and RUSSIA remain enemies.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:28 am

Tom Palven wrote:...... and it's the facts that I'm most interested in.
You are a terrible liar and the main spammer of conspiracies on the forum, without ever supplying one fact.

Try answer these questions about your repeated conspiracy claims.


1) Tom's evidence / Deep State Conspiracy
Describe your "Deep State" conspiracy, name one member and your evidence that this conspiracy exists
.

2) Tom's evidence / the 1961 Military Industrial Complex conspiracy
Describe how this 1961 conspiracy exists, name one member and your evidence that it exists today when arms manufacturers are reducing in number and production is reducing since 1961?


3) Tom's evidence / The CIA runs the world
Name one country, anywhere in the world and show your evidence that the CIA runs that country.

Running away.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 am

Tom Palven wrote: And now Saudi Arabia is allied with Netanyahu's Israel and General al-Sisi's Egypt, the brutality of those three regimes making George Bush's "Axis of Evil" look like Our Gang.
http://www.answers.com/Q/Which_countrie ... is_of_evil


Neither Saudi Arabia or Egypt are mentioned anywhere in your "factual" link. You simply added a random link unrelated link so you could spam more propaganda.

Why do you lie so much?
:lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Try answer these questions about your repeated conspiracy claims.

1) Tom's evidence / Deep State Conspiracy
Describe your "Deep State" conspiracy, name one member and your evidence that this conspiracy exists
.

2) Tom's evidence / the 1961 Military Industrial Complex conspiracy
Describe how this 1961 conspiracy exists, name one member and your evidence that it exists today when arms manufacturers are reducing in number and production is reducing since 1961?


3) Tom's evidence / The CIA runs the world
Name one country, anywhere in the world and show your evidence that the CIA runs that country.


I've answered these questions ad naueum, Matt, and yet you keep ignoring the answers and repeating the questiions.

I'll repeat my anwswers ONE LAST TIME.

As I've said, two-term President and Five-Star General Dwight Eisenhower described the MIC well in his Farewell Address in 1961:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ei ... &FORM=VIRE

But Eisenhower's warning went unheeded, and since that time the MIC has metastasized to immense, complex, proportions that Barack Obama, Donald Trump, and Congress couldn't keep track of, even if they wanted to.

Probably only James Clapper and John Brennan, and perhaps Gina Haspel, you, and a few others know the main players and the activities of DTRA, STRATCOM, The US Army Cyber Command, the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, The DISA, INSCOM, the Center for Combating WMDs, the NSA, and other secret police agencies.

These agencies are so huge and pervasive that they make Eisenhower's MIC of 1961 look like a Boy Scout Troop.

It's truly amazing that you as an Australian know so much about them. It can't just be a personal hobby of yours, can it?

You say that I have not presented any evidence that the Central Intelligence Agency and the other agencies that it controls run any countries. Isn't overthrowing the government of a country and replacing it with a government of your choice "running a country"? It's been well documented that the CIA with the compliance of CENTCOM and other agencies has done this MANY times, and has failed at other times, as with Turkey so far.

I've done book reviews on that subject here at Skeptic.com.


Give me a friggin' break!

I'm done talking with you about this. Done, done, done.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14678
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:40 am

Tom Palven wrote: Isn't overthrowing the government of a country and replacing it with a government of your choice "running a country"?

No. Its overthrowing a gubment you don't like and hoping for a better replacement. History of same has been hit and miss. Running a country requires much more involvement. Don't conflate very different things.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Wordbird » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Don't worry about Tom Palven. He just copies stuff from extreme right websites or makes stuff up. Tom is a Trump fan and generally just regurgitates Russian scripted talk points about "the evil USA".


I have no problem with Trump supporters or right-wingers.

I have no problem with far-left, even Antifa.

I only have a problem with libertarians.

Libertarians either want no government at all, or they will use a bait-and-switch argument to say that our tax money should find their necessary evils, but if we want say in how our tax money is used, and it's anything but what the libertarian deems necessary, we are aggressors and socialists.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:51 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: Try answer these questions about your repeated conspiracy claims.

1) Tom's evidence / Deep State Conspiracy
Describe your "Deep State" conspiracy, name one member and your evidence that this conspiracy exists
.

2) Tom's evidence / the 1961 Military Industrial Complex conspiracy
Describe how this 1961 conspiracy exists, name one member and your evidence that it exists today when arms manufacturers are reducing in number and production has been reducing since 1961?


3) Tom's evidence / The CIA runs the world
Name one country, anywhere in the world and show your evidence that the CIA runs that country.
Tom Palven wrote:I've answered these questions ad naueum nauseam, Matt, and yet you keep ignoring the answers and repeating the questiions questions. I'll repeat my anwswers answers ONE LAST TIME.

Link us to any post of your when you answer any of these three questions. You can't can you? :lol: :lol: :lol:


Tom Palven wrote:As I've said,two-term President and Five-Star General Dwight Eisenhower described the MIC well in his Farewell Address in 1961:

1) 1961 was 57 years ago
2) the military spend in 1961 was 8% of GDP, which has now reduced to 3.6% of GDP in 2017.
3) SALT, START and New START have reduced warheads from 31,000 in 1961 to 1550 in 2018.
Why do you lie so much and ignore facts?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Running away.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Tom Palven / Spams conspiracies

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 am

Wordbird wrote: I only have a problem with libertarians.
Tom Palven was a Libertarian candidate.
https://www.ourcampaigns.com/CandidateD ... teID=15501

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31649
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:19 am

Tom Palven wrote:...if his credentials aren't left-wing enough for you....

Hmm, that's an odd measuring stick. I prefer someone who isn't so far biased towards the right that his opinions aren't suspect. That doesn't make them "left-wing enough", that just makes them trustworthy.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31649
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 am

Wordbird wrote:I have no problem with far-left, even Antifa.

Is Antifa far-left? I thought they were just anti-fascists.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Wordbird » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:39 am

Gord wrote:
Wordbird wrote:I have no problem with far-left, even Antifa.

Is Antifa far-left? I thought they were just anti-fascists.


They're quite far-left. Or at least, they're very much against the right.

Either way, I don't care what you think as long as you're not a libertarian.

I feel that every philosophy out there, no matter how evil or perverted, has at least one good reason to believe in it.

Except libertarianism.

Matthew Ellard wrote:Tom Palven was a Libertarian candidate.


You all told me he was a right-wing Trump supporter. That's very far from libertarian.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:38 am

Wordbird wrote: You all told me he was a right-wing Trump supporter. That's very far from libertarian.


I said he was a Libertarian candidate and that was in the 1980's where he only got 1,450 votes.

Nowadays he is an extreme conservative Trump supporter and simply copies here, what Sean Hannity says on Fox. He has no ability to form arguments himself and is simply a spam-bot.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 31649
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:06 am

Wordbird wrote:
Gord wrote:
Wordbird wrote:I have no problem with far-left, even Antifa.

Is Antifa far-left? I thought they were just anti-fascists.

They're quite far-left. Or at least, they're very much against the right.

I don't think those two are the same. You could be centrist and against the right, especially in particular policies.

Also, has Antifa done any protesting that isn't against the far right? I haven't noticed.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wordbird wrote: You all told me he was a right-wing Trump supporter. That's very far from libertarian.


I said he was a Libertarian candidate and that was in the 1980's where he only got 1,450 votes.

Nowadays he is an extreme conservative Trump supporter and simply copies here, what Sean Hannity says on Fox. He has no ability to form arguments himself and is simply a spam-bot.



Actually, it was in the 1970's.

In 1972 Bob Steiner and I were the first two people to run for Congress from NJ as libertarians. And I ran again in 1976.

I don't know about the 1,450 votes, and wonder if there are actually 1,450 intelligent and informed people in that one Congressional district.

Back then minor cadidates were included in League of Women Voters debates, and I was invloved in various debates along with the Democrat and Republican candidate and a Socialist Party candidate.

My best memory from '72 was when I was trying to hand out anti-war campaign leaflets at Rumson High School in Monmouth County.

School was out and kids were streaming past me and nobody would take a leaflet from me...until the Vice Principal came out waving a leaflet in front of me and yelling that I had to get off school grounds, and that he would call the cops if I didn't leave.

He asked me if I was leaving and I just said No, and then kids came streaming over to take leaflets from me.

After the last kids left I was walking to my car when a cop pulled up and asked if I had been handing out leaflets on school property and I said Yes. He said if I did it again he would arrest me, and I told him it might be good campaign publicity.

He said it very well might be, and if I wanted to be arrested, just come back tomorrow. I considered doing it, but for better or worse, I chickened out.

I dropped out of the LP in the 80's and became a Democrat in Howell Twp., NJ. when the LP became wishy-washy in order to gain votes.

This was way before the Libertarian Party was finally completely co-opted by Tea Party conservatives and nominated pro-Iraq War Georgia Congressman Bob Barr for President in 2008.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Barr

Apparently you spent a little time gathering some misinformation about my political career, Matt.

You must have looked up my academic record by now!

Would you like to apologize for misrepresenting it? :lol:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:57 am

Tom Palven wrote: Would you like to apologize for misrepresenting it?

Tell me exactly how I misrepresented your "Academic career". You simultaneously claimed on our forum that Adam Smith was not an economist, while simultaneously, on another forum, stating you studied Adam Smith in your economics course at "Cornell".

Yet here you are today, totally unable to explain what Adam Smith's invisible hand actually is.

What exactly are you claiming you studied Tom Palven?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Wordbird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:36 am

Are you still a libertarian, Tom?

Bear in mind that libertarians believe free speech only protects you from the government, and that there should be little or no government.

Basically, kiss your leaflets goodbye. Because in your ideal world, that would be a private school, private property, and they would have every right to tell you what you can't do there.

Okay, you think, I'll hand out leaflets on the sidewalk.

WRONG.

That road, and that sidewalk, in a libertarian world, are private property too.

And I imagine they'll all say no leaflets, since so much of that crap ends up as litter, which they'd have to pay to clean up.

You see, kids, libertarianism is the philosophy of screaming two-year-olds who want to {!#%@} on everything and have no idea who changes their diapers.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tom Palven wrote: Would you like to apologize for misrepresenting it?

Tell me exactly how I misrepresented your "Academic career". You simultaneously claimed on our forum that Adam Smith was not an economist, while simultaneously, on another forum, stating you studied Adam Smith in your economics course at "Cornell".

Yet here you are today, totally unable to explain what Adam Smith's invisible hand actually is.

What exactly are you claiming you studied Tom Palven?
:lol: :lol: :lol:



"Cornell" in quotation marks! I bloody-well love it! :lol:

Adam Smith was not an economist, he was chairman of the Philosophy Dept. at the University of Glasgow.

By the same token the Wright brothers were not credentialed aeronautical engineers, they were bicycle mechanics. They invented the field of aeronautical engineering.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9586
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Poodle » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:45 am

Wordbird wrote:... You see, kids, libertarianism is the philosophy of screaming two-year-olds who want to {!#%@} on everything and have no idea who changes their diapers.

I love it when someone comes up with a single short sentence which perfectly distills something which has been over-complicated from inception. That should be in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
PS - It isn't, is it?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 am

Tom Palven wrote: Adam Smith was not an economist,
Adam Smith was an economist and the father of economics. You still don't know what Adam Smith's invisible hand is do you? ( Hint : It is Adam Smith showing how supply and demand curves reaching equilibrium in economics)


Adam Smith is widely regarded as the father of modern economics.....
https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-father-of-economics

Adam Smith was an 18th-century philosopher renowned as the father of modern economics....
https://www.investopedia.com/updates/ad ... economics/

Sooooooo.....Tom.....stop running away .what did you actually study at "Cornell"? Weren't you, in reality, a park ranger? :lol: :lol:
Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

So Tom? What were the economics courses at Cornell Park Ranger school? ( PS you have forgotten what you have posted on the internet and your "economic courses". )
Cornell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Tom Palven wrote: Adam Smith was not an economist,
Adam Smith was an economist and the father of economics. You still don't know what Adam Smith's invisible hand is do you? ( Hint : It is Adam Smith showing how supply and demand curves reaching equilibrium in economics)


Adam Smith is widely regarded as the father of modern economics.....
https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-father-of-economics

Adam Smith was an 18th-century philosopher renowned as the father of modern economics....
https://www.investopedia.com/updates/ad ... economics/

Sooooooo.....Tom.....stop running away .what did you actually study at "Cornell"? Weren't you, in reality, a park ranger? :lol: :lol:
Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

So Tom? What were the economics courses at Cornell Park Ranger school? ( PS you have forgotten what you have posted on the internet and your "economic courses". ) Cornell.jpg



Well done Matthew! You are partially correct for a change!

I knew you could do it!
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

User avatar
Wordbird
Poster
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Wordbird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Poodle wrote:I love it when someone comes up with a single short sentence which perfectly distills something which has been over-complicated from inception. That should be in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
PS - It isn't, is it?


Basically everything I say should be in some sort of wisdom repository.

And I'm sorry I have such little sympathy for libertarians, but it's because I have known them. I have actually read their literature.

They have insanely overcomplicated notions of rights that involve interpreting, reinterpreting, slapdashing and remixing a single principle (the Non-Aggression Principle) so they get everything, and they also get to scam everyone else out of everything. Also, just read this article if you think libertarianism isn't about scamming.

https://mises.org/library/property-righ ... -contracts

Here's an example of hypocrisy: If a libertarian's tree drops leaves in my yard, too bad: It's not aggression. The Non-Aggression Principle states that only aggression can be met with force.

If my tree drops leaves in a libertarians yard, I get slapped with a lawsuit, because civil law is the blanket solution for all offences that aren't aggression.

But how do you adhere to the principle that only aggression is wrong if everyone is suing the pants off each other constantly for every little backyard tiff? How does a court morally use force to extract money from someone who didn't aggress? Well, hypocritically is how.

I know my stuff. I've read it all. And there's only one philosophy on this whole planet that's completely irredeemable.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 14678
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 am

Word: what is your remedy for a neighbors tree that drops leaves on your yard? I can imagine several different legal approaches each with pros and cons.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:40 am

Matthew points out that Tom Palven lied when he claimed he studied Adam Smith, the economist, in his economic courses. The reason for this is Tom is a park ranger who studied biology at Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Tom Palven wrote:Well done Matthew! I knew you could do it!


You left this information up on another forum, you complete idiot. The entire time you were pretending to know what Adam Smith's "invisible hand" was, I knew you didn't have a clue and had never studied any form of economics. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yogi bear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:47 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Matthew points out that Tom Palven lied when he claimed he studied Adam Smith, the economist, in his economic courses. The reason for this is Tom is a park ranger who studied biology at Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Tom Palven wrote:Well done Matthew! I knew you could do it!


You left this information up on another forum, you complete idiot. The entire time you were pretending to know what Adam Smith's "invisible hand" was, I knew you didn't have a clue and had never studied any form of economics. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yogi bear.jpg



You're getting close.

One of my first jobs out of college was as a park naturalist, but I did take a couple of excellent economics courses while at Cornell.

Maybe you can find my transcript if you put your mind to it, but in the meantime do you want to man up and apologize for saying that I never graduated from Cornell?

I won't hold my breath. :lol:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:28 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:You left this information up on another forum, you complete idiot.
Tom Palven wrote:You're getting close.
Yes.......I can read your post on the other forum, you dimwit.
Tom Palven wrote: I was disappointed the book, finding it to be very outdated. Although it was not required reading in my economics courses at Cornell.....

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/sho ... php?t=4854
You went to an agricultural college and didn't study economics. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Soooooo.....Tom.......using all your sheep husbandry skills...........tell us what is Adam Smith's "invisible hand" in economics, which you claimed to have studied....in economics.... :lol: :lol:
Yogi bear 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:You left this information up on another forum, you complete idiot.
Tom Palven wrote:You're getting close.
Yes.......I can read your post on the other forum, you dimwit.
Tom Palven wrote: I was disappointed the book, finding it to be very outdated. Although it was not required reading in my economics courses at Cornell.....

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/sho ... php?t=4854
You went to an agricultural college and didn't study economics. :lol: :lol: :lol:



Nothing in that link contradicts anything that I have said, and I have described "the invisible hand" of spontaneous order umpteen times.

However, that link does reinforce the fact that Adam Smith was a philosophy professor, not an economist, who believed that his best work was The Theory of Moral Sentiments, 1759, not An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations , 1776.

Matt, you haven't apologized for insisting that I lied and never went to Cornell, but will you at least refrain from more BS and allow me the last laugh? :lol:
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 am

Tom Palven wrote:Nothing in that link contradicts anything that I have said, and I have described "the invisible hand" of spontaneous order umpteen times.
No you haven't Tom. You don't actually know what Adam Smith's "invisible hand" even is.

Link us to any of your earlier posts where you described what the invisible hand is. ( You can't can you)



Tom Palven wrote:However, that link does reinforce the fact that Adam Smith was a philosophy professor, not an economist,
Adam Smith used economic supply and demand curves, reaching equilibrium, to describe why the competitive firm must reduce cost, through innovation to become more efficient......this, Adam Smith, called the "invisible hand".....

If you don't believe Adam Smith was an economist, then give us your alternative explanation of what you think Adam Smith's "invisible hand" is....... We will all sit here an laugh at you as you attempt this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yogi bear 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9536
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby TJrandom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:44 am

Methinks some of this belongs in the jokes thread... :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28541
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:06 am

BUMP

Tom Palven? You haven't answered our skeptical questions.

Has Rudy Giuliani caught your tongue?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yogi bear 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5372
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:29 am

Re: Why do people think conspiracy theorist is a synonymous with "irrational person"?

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:[color=#000080]BUMP

Tom Palven? You haven't answered our skeptical questions.



The last three paragraphs in this article present a conspiracy theory that you, ASIS, and John Bolton won't like:

https://russia-insider.com/en/trump-pus ... se/ri24544
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire


Return to “Conspiracies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests