New Species? (Small but Intriguing)

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

New Species? (Small but Intriguing)

Postby Bart Stewart » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:28 pm

If this thing was only a little bigger we could call it a "monster." As it is, it may be a new species of soft-bodied marine life with some interesting features.

How big does a critter have to be to attain monster status? This thing is about a foot long.

I have only ever seen it in this one video by skeptic Trey the Explainer on Youtube. It is the second of three sections of his video on "globsters" and marine cryptids. The whole video is interesting, but what I want to show you starts at 5:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_jGC3TeZU

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: New Species? (Small but Intriguing)

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Monsters only appear in nightmares and movies. Regard: The Great White Shark. Called an Apex predator who really doesn't want to eat Humans last time I noticed.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 pm

True. Monsters are a social or psychological construct. I wrote an article on that once.

But did you look at the thing in the video? It may be something new. It was posted by marine biologists and they had no idea what it was. Some theories have been put up, but they all seem wanting.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Didn't look. More interested in words and how they work. the entire cryptid family is made up of monsters: eating fish tongues and what not. Doesn't surprise me one could get a foot long. Check the whales. Mother Nature can be pretty vile to our civilized sensitivities.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:54 pm

@Bart - Nice vid. It looked like a Republican to me. You know - sort of slimy, undoubtedly hard to pin down or get a grip on, elusive, somewhat weird, and wont to slink away when someone tries to clearly identify its character… And of course exactly what everyone would like to know more about – what makes it tick, are there more, do we need to be concerned, and is it likely to crawl up our butts if we get too close… :(

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:04 pm

:lol:

Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Bart Stewart wrote:True. Monsters are a social or psychological construct. I wrote an article on that once.

But did you look at the thing in the video? It may be something new. It was posted by marine biologists and they had no idea what it was. Some theories have been put up, but they all seem wanting.

I wonder what its shell looks like. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:04 pm

There are something like 15,000 new species discovered each year. Mostly small. So a new jelly like small organism is not terribly unlikely.

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:47 am

The primary question you need to be asking when any new species is discovered is 'What does it taste like?'. If we'd made this part of the scientific method maybe we'd have discovered the hot chocolate fudge cake fish by now.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm

At first glance, I thought it was a small sunfish floating on its side, mainly because of the colouration of what appears to be its tail fin. See image here: https://public-media.smithsonianmag.com ... la-631.jpg

They are know to bask: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... laMola.jpg This may be to warm up in the sunlight, when the ocean temperature dips: http://oceanwildthings.com/wp-content/u ... -shot3.jpg

Adults can grow to be about 10 feet in diameter, but the average seems to be around 6 feet.

But I can't explain the apparent lack of top and bottom fins. Better pictures would have been preferred.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Gord wrote:But I can't explain the apparent lack of top and bottom fins. Better pictures would have been preferred.

Predation? Or encounter with human flotsam?

Looks like one of the pics show a loop of thread around a part.
Maybe a damaged or deformed squid or cuttlefish.
Could just be the remains of something. I didn't listen to the whole audio so don't know whether there was definite movement from the thing or if it just drifted.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm

They said it lifted it's nose-like proboscis, as if it were sniffing the boat. (I most certainly remember it incorrectly, but I'm sticking with that statement -- they definitely said it moved, which is the only point I mean to make with any accuracy.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”