Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Humans will actually react pretty well to news of alien life

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 am

Humans will actually react pretty well to news of alien life

Date: February 16, 2018

Source: Arizona State University

Summary: Hollywood has it wrong. Humans would actually react positively to news of alien life -- intelligent or microbial.
As humans reach out technologically to see if there are other life forms in the universe, one important question needs to be answered: When we make contact, how are we going to handle it? Will we feel threatened and react in horror? Will we embrace it? Will we even understand it? Or, will we shrug it off as another thing we have to deal with in our increasingly fast-paced world?

"If we came face to face with life outside of Earth, we would actually be pretty upbeat about it," said Arizona State University Assistant Professor of Psychology Michael Varnum. "So far, there's been a lot of speculation about how we might respond to this kind of news, but until now, almost no systematic empirical research."

Varnum presented his findings Feb. 16 at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Austin, Texas.

In a pilot study, Varnum and his colleagues analyzed language in newspaper articles about past potential extraterrestrial life discoveries. Through the work, Varnum aimed to address the nature of reactions to extraterrestrial life by analyzing reactions using a software program that quantifies emotions, feelings, drives and other psychological states in written texts.
Continues...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Humans will actually react pretty well to news of alien life

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am

I already have, and I welcome our gloopy friends.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:29 am

Poor aliens would get hopelessly stereotyped depending on the sci-fi flick they resemble most.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:55 am

star trek based on gene's alien contact.....-----The Council of Nine - A Perspective on "Briefings from Deep Space"

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/soci ... il9_04.htm

The Council of Nine describes themselves, through their two-decades channeller Phyllis Schlemmer, as "a circle of universal beings living outside time and space." In the 1993 compendium of their dialogues with various of their human questioners, among them Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry and many, many others ...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:56 am

Dumbass.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Poor aliens would get hopelessly stereotyped depending on the sci-fi flick they resemble most.
And then get blamed for stealing our jobs.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 pm

We'll build a roof over our planet and make them pay for it.
trump is Putin's bitch

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Poor aliens would get hopelessly stereotyped depending on the sci-fi flick they resemble most.
I think you are right. We are going to keep trying to impose human behaviour on aliens and then blame them when they don't stick to our human script. We already do it to our own dogs, cats and pets. We can't help it.

However, I'm pretty sure the first aliens we encounter will be some sort of moss thing or a very exciting fungi thing.
:D

Willywizz

Post by Willywizz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 am

Personally I'd be excited at the premise of alien life being out there - albeit I'd feel slightly more concerned about the dumber, microbial kind... who knows if they'd want to devour our brains? :shock: :P

Anywho, I think it's far more likely there's life out there than there isn't. It's also less depressing to think about us not being alone than being the only sentient life forms out there~

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Post by Nikki Nyx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
I think you are right. We are going to keep trying to impose human behaviour on aliens and then blame them when they don't stick to our human script. We already do it to our own dogs, cats and pets. We can't help it.
And gods. Overwhelmingly, gods are just as greedy, petty, prone to emotion, and self-centered as humans.

News of alien life will be labeled "fake news" by the religious. Since it contradicts their unsupported belief that they're special, they'll have to ignore or discard it to avoid the psychotic break that would result from the bursting of their confirmation bias bubble. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Actually, no.
The Catholic Church has a clear policy when it comes to aliens, namely that they, too, must necessarily be part of God's creation. After all God created all kinds of angles and beasts and not just humans, animals and plants.
So officially, aliens can get into heaven if they get baptized and believe in the Trinity.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Yabbut, what if the aliens were atheists?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Post by Cadmusteeth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm

That would be the case if they somehow eliminated the biases we suffer from.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm

Why would they even have them in the first place. There is evidence that religiosity has a genetic origin, or at least, component.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:27 am

Why would they believe in a god - if they are gods? :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am

Just don't send Han Solo as an ambassador.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Mara
Poster

Post by Mara » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Actually, no.
The Catholic Church has a clear policy when it comes to aliens, namely that they, too, must necessarily be part of God's creation. After all God created all kinds of angles and beasts and not just humans, animals and plants.
So officially, aliens can get into heaven if they get baptized and believe in the Trinity.
Why people always assume that every human being in the world is a Catholic?
Who cares what the Catholic Church has a policy on...

Mara
Poster

Post by Mara » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:23 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Humans will actually react pretty well to news of alien life

Summary: Hollywood has it wrong. Humans would actually react positively to news of alien life -- intelligent or microbial.
As humans reach out technologically to see if there are other life forms in the universe, one important question needs to be answered: When we make contact, how are we going to handle it? Will we feel threatened and react in horror? Will we embrace it? Will we even understand it? Or, will we shrug it off as another thing we have to deal with in our increasingly fast-paced world?

"If we came face to face with life outside of Earth, we would actually be pretty upbeat about it," said Arizona State University Assistant Professor of Psychology Michael Varnum. "So far, there's been a lot of speculation about how we might respond to this kind of news, but until now, almost no systematic empirical research."

Varnum presented his findings Feb. 16 at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Austin, Texas.

In a pilot study, Varnum and his colleagues analyzed language in newspaper articles about past potential extraterrestrial life discoveries. Through the work, Varnum aimed to address the nature of reactions to extraterrestrial life by analyzing reactions using a software program that quantifies emotions, feelings, drives and other psychological states in written texts.
Continues...
...with today's state of affairs I am super keen... Image

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Mara wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Actually, no.
Why people always assume that every human being in the world is a Catholic?
Who cares what the Catholic Church has a policy on...
Well, Catholics assume that, deep down, every human being is a catholic.
More to the point, I only know of the Vatican as a religious institution which has a clear doctrine on aliens.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Post by Bart Stewart » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Humans will actually react pretty well to news of alien life

Summary: Hollywood has it wrong. Humans would actually react positively to news of alien life -- intelligent or microbial ...
This confirms what I have suspected for many years. All the talk about the government suppressing knowledge of ET visitations for fear of engendering "mass panic" is baloney. A mass celebration would be more likely. The talk of government hiding aliens is a convenient dodge by the UFO camp to cover for the utter and absolute lack of any real space aliens!

There is no motive for the government to suppress knowledge of aliens. None, whatsoever. If anything, we would have more need of government, to serve as ambassadors to the aliens!

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 pm

ElectricMonk wrote: The Catholic Church has a clear policy when it comes to aliens, namely that they, too, must necessarily be part of God's creation. After all God created all kinds of angles and beasts and not just humans, animals and plants.So officially, aliens can get into heaven if they get baptized and believe in the Trinity.
Now that's just weird. If God created man in his own image and Jesus "the man" died for mankind's sins......then why can aliens be baptised and go to heaven? Why not goldfish or hamsters.

You know.....I'm starting to think that Christianity doesn't make a lot of sense.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote: The Catholic Church has a clear policy when it comes to aliens, namely that they, too, must necessarily be part of God's creation. After all God created all kinds of angles and beasts and not just humans, animals and plants.So officially, aliens can get into heaven if they get baptized and believe in the Trinity.
Now that's just weird. If God created man in his own image and Jesus "the man" died for mankind's sins......then why can aliens be baptised and go to heaven? Why not goldfish or hamsters.

You know.....I'm starting to think that Christianity doesn't make a lot of sense.
It DOES raise the question: When did god learn to photoshop his own image?

Mara
Poster

Post by Mara » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Well, Catholics assume that, deep down, every human being is a catholic.
More to the point, I only know of the Vatican as a religious institution which has a clear doctrine on aliens.
And I accept that is bizarre in itself, but then again I never understood why they rejected the book of Enoch, to me it was the same level of believable material that the other biblical books present... it seems they have issues with the Giants, half gods and what was it... something to do with crystal throne... I actually read it, and I concluded that Enoch was either tripping on some local weed, had mental health issues like dilussions of grandeur (clearly they all had those), and they were just lucid dreams - in those days humans had difficulties separating the rational from the mind stuff.

I’d love to meet an alien, I basically ask for it every time I drive through Cardwell QLD in Australia (this is a local joke, they believe they have been visited and celebrate with UFO festivals) but I am apparently no good to them...they seem to only pick up people who do not ask too many rational questions
https://youtu.be/zUIsxNFXApM
;-)

If there is anything I can tell about The Catholic Church by now is that they are full of imaginary beliefs in most areas of life but how and why did they decide to have protocols for alien contact - no freaking idea, probably some priest in 10th century had a dream, or for strategic reasons in case it does happen let’s make the society fear them instead of learning from them that there is not God, which most authorities within Catholic Church know of, this is about controlling people through knowledge of psychology and politics.

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Post by Phoenix76 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 am

As long as they will sit down and have beer with me, I don't give a {!#%@} where they come from. I'll learn all that over a carton, or more, of beer.

Mara
Poster

Post by Mara » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 am

Phoenix76 wrote:As long as they will sit down and have beer with me, I don't give a {!#%@} where they come from. I'll learn all that over a carton, or more, of beer.
Well, let’s hope they won’t be ‘on duty’ then ;-)

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Post by Phoenix76 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:27 am

Hey, I've had a beer or six whilst on duty. But don't my CO. :D

Mara
Poster

Post by Mara » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am

LOL but extraterrestrials’s superiors can read their minds! Poor aliens, it’s a prison up there, no wonder they’d rather hang around with us, we have so much more freedom to offer... ;-)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am

Phoenix76 wrote:Hey, I've had a beer or six whilst on duty. But don't my CO. :D
I won't your CO. Promise.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Mara wrote:...I concluded that Enoch was either tripping on some local weed...
You might have nailed it.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:17 pm

A friend tried smoking camel dung. The camels had eaten several kilos of hash. Reports were mixed. The camels had a good time.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:After all God created all kinds of angles and beasts and not just humans, animals and plants.
I must have missed the the letters of Paul to the Geometers. :P

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:47 pm

Bart Stewart wrote:There is no motive for the government to suppress knowledge of aliens. None, whatsoever. If anything, we would have more need of government, to serve as ambassadors to the aliens!
That qualifies as a motive for Republicans and Libertarians. :mrgreen:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

I think the aliens will like humans, but they're still going to want to talk to the dominant lifeform on Earth.
Spoiler:

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Post by Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I think the aliens will like humans...
...possibly with ketchup. :shockd:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Dragon aliens would go that way, I think. :twisted:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Dragon aliens would go that way, I think. :twisted:
To Serve Man was...
Spoiler:
A recipe book.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.