Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18398
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:11 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Gawdzilla.

I might be pedantic, but I am not wrong.
If you want a reference to make a point, choosing a work of fiction is not real credible. You might as well quote from the bible.
You're pedantic and obstreperous. Exlax, dude.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:38 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Gnostic Bishop thinks that the explanation he put up in the OP is plausible, logical, and reasonable.

OH how we like to deceive ourselves!

His explanation is that humans are too chaotic in our society, so that the aliens would not bother. Just turn that on its ear, and think how we would respond if the situation was reversed. If humans found an alien civilisation that is chaotic and disorganised, how would we respond? Well, we have done that numerous times already, right here on planet Earth, and we ALWAYS intervene, whether that is wise or not. Why should aliens be different? Duh!!

The simplest explanation for why we have not been visited is just that civilised aliens are few and far between.


Always intervene ?
Most people say they don't want to
get involved. It's too complicated .
Excuses excuses ...
Armchair do gooders that
donate money. For tax purposes ;-)
Did they ever clean up New Orleans ?
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:But hey, if you want to believe that a non-altruistic species can somehow cooperate enough to get off a planet then have at it.



The altruism I referred to was altruism towards other species. Lots of examples here on Earth of species altruistic towards themselves, but aggressive to others. Someone mentioned ants as an example.


You make my case.

Ants do not space travel.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8641
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:15 pm

Ants do not space travel, and in the wider sense, neither do humans. As far as anyone knows, nothing travels between stars. But it is technically very possible, as long as it is done at slower than light speeds. If there is no disaster, it is probable that humans will visit other stars within 1,000 years. Once under way, simple maths shows that full colonisation of the galaxy is likely within a million years (plus or minus a big number).

THe ant example is simply to show how a species can be cooperative within its own people, but aggressive to those outside.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18398
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:18 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Ants do not space travel, and in the wider sense, neither do humans. As far as anyone knows, nothing travels between stars. But it is technically very possible, as long as it is done at slower than light speeds. If there is no disaster, it is probable that humans will visit other stars within 1,000 years. Once under way, simple maths shows that full colonisation of the galaxy is likely within a million years (plus or minus a big number).

THe ant example is simply to show how a species can be cooperative within its own people, but aggressive to those outside.

Based on wild ass guesses, sure.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:23 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Ants do not space travel, and in the wider sense, neither do humans. As far as anyone knows, nothing travels between stars. But it is technically very possible, as long as it is done at slower than light speeds. If there is no disaster, it is probable that humans will visit other stars within 1,000 years. Once under way, simple maths shows that full colonisation of the galaxy is likely within a million years (plus or minus a big number).

THe ant example is simply to show how a species can be cooperative within its own people, but aggressive to those outside.


That was never denied.

That fact does not take away from the fact that cooperation is a lot better for survival than competition.

When we do meet up with E. T., we will see that they wish to cooperate and not compete and since they see us in more of a competitive way at present, given all the factions and no central control here, it is logical that they would not touch us with a six foot pole.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:That fact does not take away from the fact that cooperation is a lot better for survival than competition.


I know where you are coming from and, as a general rule, I agree. However, I think we have to consider some obvious exceptions to the general rule as you look at actual detailed behaviour.

The classic example is mating. All sexually reproducing species, on Earth compete for partners. Whether it be peacocks with plumes or the mating rituals of the moose, there is always going to be direct competition within the species. It's a part of the evolutionary process.

I think it is really hard to not artificially add human behavioural concepts like competition and cooperation to the process of evolution, although the evolutionary process has no connection to these things. If a species arises, that cooperates when doing "X" and competes doing "Y", then this is not inconsistent from an evolutionary perspective.

This brings us back to Gawdzilla's position : "We only have one example of evolved life (Life on Earth) and should not try to make big predictions about aliens based on a sample of one". In other words, who knows how evolution has resulted in on other planets? :D

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:32 pm

Angel wrote:Armchair do gooders that donate money. For tax purposes Did they ever clean up New Orleans ?
The current discussion is about contact with aliens and related discussions.

You promised to try concentrate and only post on topic. Please do that.

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Angel wrote:Armchair do gooders that donate money. For tax purposes Did they ever clean up New Orleans ?
The current discussion is about contact with aliens and related discussions.

You promised to try concentrate and only post on topic. Please do that.


When placed back in context ~
How is it not on topic?

What's in a name?
Alien
A lien
A lie n
All deceiving.

Are aliens the first born males that
were killed? Maybe if they learn to stop
the anal probing ~ they would be accepted?
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Angel wrote:Armchair do gooders that donate money. For tax purposes Did they ever clean up New Orleans ?
Matthew Ellard wrote:The current discussion is about contact with aliens and related discussions. You promised to try concentrate and only post on topic. Please do that.
Angel wrote:When placed back in context How is it not on topic? What's in a name? Alien A lien A lie n All deceiving. Are aliens the first born males that were killed? Maybe if they learn to stop the anal probing ~ they would be accepted?

I can only assume you are mad and lonely, however, please stop posting in this thread unless you are participating in the discussion about aliens and contact.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9973
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:That fact does not take away from the fact that cooperation is a lot better for survival than competition.


There are vastly more species which thrive without cooperation than with it.

If you wish to make the case that none of them have evolved sufficient intelligence to build a civilization, then you need to establish that humans evolved that intelligence because we are cooperative. But then you need to show why cooperation has not resulted in any other civilization builders.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:That fact does not take away from the fact that cooperation is a lot better for survival than competition.


I know where you are coming from and, as a general rule, I agree. However, I think we have to consider some obvious exceptions to the general rule as you look at actual detailed behaviour.

The classic example is mating. All sexually reproducing species, on Earth compete for partners. Whether it be peacocks with plumes or the mating rituals of the moose, there is always going to be direct competition within the species. It's a part of the evolutionary process.

I think it is really hard to not artificially add human behavioural concepts like competition and cooperation to the process of evolution, although the evolutionary process has no connection to these things. If a species arises, that cooperates when doing "X" and competes doing "Y", then this is not inconsistent from an evolutionary perspective.

This brings us back to Gawdzilla's position : "We only have one example of evolved life (Life on Earth) and should not try to make big predictions about aliens based on a sample of one". In other words, who knows how evolution has resulted in on other planets? :D


Correct, therefore we should go with the known instead of the unknown. It has a logic trail while all you have speculative nonsense.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:That fact does not take away from the fact that cooperation is a lot better for survival than competition.


There are vastly more species which thrive without cooperation than with it.

If you wish to make the case that none of them have evolved sufficient intelligence to build a civilization, then you need to establish that humans evolved that intelligence because we are cooperative. But then you need to show why cooperation has not resulted in any other civilization builders.


Many diverse societies that did not know of each other here on earth did just that.

Name a few species that thrive without cooperation within the species. Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce. Some eat their mates after mating but cooperation has to exist or they would not mate.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:15 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Correct, therefore we should go with the known instead of the unknown. It has a logic trail while all you have speculative nonsense.
No I don't have speculative nonsense. Are you really claiming there is no competition in mating activities?

Back up your bizarre position now, using your best evidence.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:22 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Name a few species that thrive without cooperation within the species.
All viruses.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce. Some eat their mates after mating but cooperation has to exist or they would not mate.

I now realise your problem. You mistake evolved innate breeding activities as "co-operation". You are making the classic mistake of artificially trying to anthropomorphise innate evolved mating behaviours.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9973
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:37 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Name a few species that thrive without cooperation within the species.
All viruses.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce. Some eat their mates after mating but cooperation has to exist or they would not mate.

I now realise your problem. You mistake evolved innate breeding activities as "co-operation". You are making the classic mistake of artificially trying to anthropomorphise innate evolved mating behaviours.


There is no need for mating if a species is haploid. That most animal species on earth are diploid does not make it a requirement.

Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.

I totally forgot about plants. Whoops!
Plants are an excellent example of absence of cooperation as an evolutionary success story.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Correct, therefore we should go with the known instead of the unknown. It has a logic trail while all you have speculative nonsense.
No I don't have speculative nonsense. Are you really claiming there is no competition in mating activities?

Back up your bizarre position now, using your best evidence.


It is bizarre to you because you did not read what I put properly.

" Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce."

For sure there is competition between males but not between the males and females that select each other.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:16 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:[
quote="Matthew Ellard"]
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Name a few species that thrive without cooperation within the species.
All viruses.


http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... FGKZrkzWCQ

http://www.montana.edu/news/15977/msu-s ... treatments

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce. Some eat their mates after mating but cooperation has to exist or they would not mate.

I now realise your problem. You mistake evolved innate breeding activities as "co-operation". You are making the classic mistake of artificially trying to anthropomorphise innate evolved mating behaviours.


I did not nor had to anthropomorphise.

There is no need for mating if a species is haploid. That most animal species on earth are diploid does not make it a requirement.

Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.
[/quote]

Put any two cells with only one source of food and watch as they compete for it.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:18 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.

I totally forgot about plants. Whoops!
Plants are an excellent example of absence of cooperation as an evolutionary success story.


The issue was sentient aliens, not plants, even so, put two plant seeds in a single source of nutrients and they will naturally compete for it and may the fittest seed win.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4705
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Austin Harper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Some aliens are plants.
Image
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 16699
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Ice plants...




Not delosperma, eh.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18398
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 pm

You peoples is weird.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:07 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Are you really claiming there is no competition in mating activities? Back up your bizarre position now, using your best evidence.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:It is bizarre to you because you did not read what I put properly. " Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce." For sure there is competition between males but not between the males and females that select each other.

We have done so now three times.
1) There is no cooperation in sexual reproduction in any plant at all.
2) Evolved Innate mating habits, for example the praying mantis eating its mate or the worker bee dying after impregnation, are not examples of co-operation between males and females.


I'm starting to realise that you are religious and are trying to artificially give human characteristics to all other creatures on Earth.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 am

Austin Harper wrote:Some aliens are plants.
Photo of Virginia Hey from Farscape.
My first job as an accountant was working for Chadwicks Model Agency in the 80s. Virginia Hey was a model and a lovely person. As I was an ex-punk rocker and trying to dye out my green hair to look more normal, Virginia Hey nicknamed me "veg" which stuck. I moved on and was unaware she had a bit part in a James Bond movie and then fully converted to acting in Farscape. Good luck to her.

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Angel wrote:Armchair do gooders that donate money. For tax purposes Did they ever clean up New Orleans ?
Matthew Ellard wrote:The current discussion is about contact with aliens and related discussions. You promised to try concentrate and only post on topic. Please do that.
Angel wrote:When placed back in context How is it not on topic? What's in a name? Alien A lien A lie n All deceiving. Are aliens the first born males that were killed? Maybe if they learn to stop the anal probing ~ they would be accepted?

I can only assume you are mad and lonely, however, please stop posting in this thread unless you are participating in the discussion about aliens and contact.

Oh there's your first problem ~
you can only assume.

What part of the word ~ ALIEN ~ is not
about aliens?
Last edited by Angel on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:[
quote="Matthew Ellard"]
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Name a few species that thrive without cooperation within the species.
All viruses.


http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... FGKZrkzWCQ

http://www.montana.edu/news/15977/msu-s ... treatments

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce. Some eat their mates after mating but cooperation has to exist or they would not mate.

I now realise your problem. You mistake evolved innate breeding activities as "co-operation". You are making the classic mistake of artificially trying to anthropomorphise innate evolved mating behaviours.


I did not nor had to anthropomorphise.

There is no need for mating if a species is haploid. That most animal species on earth are diploid does not make it a requirement.

Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.


Put any two cells with only one source of food and watch as they compete for it.

Regards
DL[/quote]

Would that make all single cells natural and
all multiples alien?
Can you become like the aliens speaking
only ones and zeroes?
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:56 pm

L M F A O!!!!!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_hand_syndrome

When I first looked it up a long time ago it
was called left hand syndrome .

I had awaken to my left hand
pleasuring my pussy. Well at least
it isn't choking me ~ it's choking
the chicken. Lol

I read it when it comes to me ~
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_6:3
LoL
Last edited by Angel on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:Are you really claiming there is no competition in mating activities? Back up your bizarre position now, using your best evidence.
Gnostic Bishop wrote:It is bizarre to you because you did not read what I put properly. " Show ones where the female and male do not cooperate to reproduce." For sure there is competition between males but not between the males and females that select each other.

We have done so now three times.
1) There is no cooperation in sexual reproduction in any plant at all.
2) Evolved Innate mating habits, for example the praying mantis eating its mate or the worker bee dying after impregnation, are not examples of co-operation between males and females.


I'm starting to realise that you are religious and are trying to artificially give human characteristics to all other creatures on Earth.


I am talking creatures with instincts while you are talking of non-sentient plants.

Praying mantis' bees, must cooperate to reproduce before the victim either escapes or dies.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:33 pm

Angel wrote:[
There is no need for mating if a species is haploid. That most animal species on earth are diploid does not make it a requirement.

Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.


Put any two cells with only one source of food and watch as they compete for it.

Regards
DL


Would that make all single cells natural and
all multiples alien?[/quote]

Aliens are natural just as you are. You are multi-celled. Are you an alien?

You would be to another alien.

Can you become like the aliens speaking
only ones and zeroes?

[/quote]

If he and I used that same machine language that we have given to our computers.

I would not become like an alien but we could communicate after I translate our machine language to words.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:19 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:We have done so now three times.
1) There is no cooperation in sexual reproduction in any plant at all.
2) Evolved Innate mating habits, for example the praying mantis eating its mate or the worker bee dying after impregnation, are not examples of co-operation between males and females.
I'm starting to realise that you are religious and are trying to artificially give human characteristics to all other creatures on Earth.


Gnostic Bishop wrote:I am talking creatures with instincts while you are talking of non-sentient plants.

"Instincts" are the same thing as "evolved innate behaviour" Again, your ongoing error is to anthropomorphise innate mating behaviours in other creatures and claim they are examples of "co-operation".
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Praying mantis' bees, must cooperate to reproduce before the victim either escapes or dies.
At no point does the bee or praying mantis choose to cooperate. Their innate mating behaviour is hard wired into their heads through evolution.

Do you claim a tree is "cooperating" with soil because it has evolved to extract water and nutrients from soil?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 am

As I've said before, it is hard to imagine a good reason for interstellar travel in the first place.
Contacting a clearly superior civilisation in the hopes of accelerating one's own development might be the only thing that might make sense. Dropping in on primitive ones certainly doesn't.

Aliens might not think like us, but assuming that evolution works everywhere in the universe, they will be constrained by cost/benefit considerations.

As has been mentioned much earlier, relativistic interstellar travel runs into the weird situation as described by Kafka in "the city coat of arms": since time will slow down for the travellers, the homesystem will progress faster than any possible research aboard the ship. So it is very likely that any interstellar transport will be overtaken by a faster, more advanced ship of a later generation.
This makes being the first deep space explorer a rather unrewarding task.
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

User avatar
Angel
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:23 pm
Custom Title: LOVE

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Angel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Angel wrote:[
There is no need for mating if a species is haploid. That most animal species on earth are diploid does not make it a requirement.

Plants have evolved sexual reproduction with no cooperation whatsoever.


Put any two cells with only one source of food and watch as they compete for it.

Regards
DL



Would that make all single cells natural and
all multiples alien?


Aliens are natural just as you are. You are multi-celled. Are you an alien?

You would be to another alien.

Can you become like the aliens speaking
only ones and zeroes?

[/quote]

If he and I used that same machine language that we have given to our computers.

I would not become like an alien but we could communicate after I translate our machine language to words.

Regards
DL[/quote]

Can you learn the binary code and
speak it? Use it to communicate with
others?
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 16699
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:53 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:As I've said before, it is hard to imagine a good reason for interstellar travel in the first place.
Contacting a clearly superior civilisation in the hopes of accelerating one's own development might be the only thing that might make sense. Dropping in on primitive ones certainly doesn't.

Aliens might not think like us, but assuming that evolution works everywhere in the universe, they will be constrained by cost/benefit considerations.

As has been mentioned much earlier, relativistic interstellar travel runs into the weird situation as described by Kafka in "the city coat of arms": since time will slow down for the travellers, the homesystem will progress faster than any possible research aboard the ship. So it is very likely that any interstellar transport will be overtaken by a faster, more advanced ship of a later generation.
This makes being the first deep space explorer a rather unrewarding task.

Maybe the only thing alien between Aliens is era?

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:We have done so now three times.
1) There is no cooperation in sexual reproduction in any plant at all.
2) Evolved Innate mating habits, for example the praying mantis eating its mate or the worker bee dying after impregnation, are not examples of co-operation between males and females.
I'm starting to realise that you are religious and are trying to artificially give human characteristics to all other creatures on Earth.


Gnostic Bishop wrote:I am talking creatures with instincts while you are talking of non-sentient plants.

"Instincts" are the same thing as "evolved innate behaviour" Again, your ongoing error is to anthropomorphise innate mating behaviours in other creatures and claim they are examples of "co-operation".
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Praying mantis' bees, must cooperate to reproduce before the victim either escapes or dies.
At no point does the bee or praying mantis choose to cooperate. Their innate mating behaviour is hard wired into their heads through evolution.

Do you claim a tree is "cooperating" with soil because it has evolved to extract water and nutrients from soil?


Ok. Maintain your view that mating is not cooperation in male and female animals.
Remain wrong.

Again you bring up plants and that is not at all relevant.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:45 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote: Ok. Maintain your view that mating is not cooperation in male and female animals.
Remain wrong.
You are a religious person, desperately trying to impose human characteristics onto other living things.

When a male praying mantis is eaten by the female after impregnating her, that is a result of evolved innate behaviour. At what point do the male and female praying mantis mutually decide to cooperate? They don't. It is evolved innate behaviour. They have no choice. The male gets eaten.

I realise you do not understand the theory of evolution. Let's look at peacocks. The peacock's tail display has evolved to display genetic purity. The peahen has evolved an innate ability to assess the peacock's genetic purity. These innate behaviours evolved as evolutionary strategies in the species' gene pool. The peacock and peahen have no choice. They are not "cooperating". They are following a evolved strategy scripted in their gene-pool.

You really need to stop trying to impose human characteristics on other living species.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Angel wrote:[

Can you learn the binary code and
speak it? Use it to communicate with
others?


Only short words.

Spell the first word for me.

Regards
DL

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:53 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote: Ok. Maintain your view that mating is not cooperation in male and female animals.
Remain wrong.
You are a religious person, desperately trying to impose human characteristics onto other living things.

When a male praying mantis is eaten by the female after impregnating her, that is a result of evolved innate behaviour. At what point do the male and female praying mantis mutually decide to cooperate? They don't. It is evolved innate behaviour. They have no choice. The male gets eaten.

I realise you do not understand the theory of evolution. Let's look at peacocks. The peacock's tail display has evolved to display genetic purity. The peahen has evolved an innate ability to assess the peacock's genetic purity. These innate behaviours evolved as evolutionary strategies in the species' gene pool. The peacock and peahen have no choice. They are not "cooperating". They are following a evolved strategy scripted in their gene-pool.

You really need to stop trying to impose human characteristics on other living species.


:lol: :lol: :? :?

That from one who attributes human characteristics to plants.

My sliver, your log buddy.

Speaking of attributes, U B the forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhFllQJdxjs

Bring a gun and not a sword next time.

Regards
DL

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 24836
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:03 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:That from one who attributes human characteristics to plants.
Show me where I did that? I pointed out plants didn't cooperate. I had to inform you what anthropomorphism is and how you were making that mistake and applying human characteristics to other species.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:My sliver, your log buddy. Speaking of attributes, U B the forth. Bring a gun and not a sword next time.
I have no idea why you linked me to a clip from the children's film Matilda.

User avatar
Gnostic Bishop
Poster
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: Why we have yet to be contacted by aliens.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:02 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:[ The male gets eaten. [/color]
]


I did not yet look to see what I put last. I wanted to be quick to apologise. I was nixing, so to speak, and was unkind.

What I did was read too quickly and did not correct with the right attitude.

Apologies.

For some reason, this The male gets eaten.set me off.

I should have replied more with something like this.

Yes. A good thing too. It enhances what his instinct wanted him to do. Insure reproduction.

You mentioned that I was religious. True. I am a Gnostic Christian and we are naturalists.

Like all religions, we are the only worthy one. I estimate that free thinkers are about 25% of the population.

As to the mantis losing his head over a piece of pussy, isn't that what is used to plug the pussy now that the mantis cycle has been successfully completed?

Regards
DL


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest