Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
orionsbeltdude
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:43 am

Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby orionsbeltdude » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:49 am

Last week I was parked at the J Percy Priest Reservoir. I noticed a small meteor shower happening. My dog was with me. While watching the shower a loud boom happened within what seemed like a couple of miles. My dog even started barking. I was parked on the opposite side of the reservoir than the other people and they all looked around after hearing the firecracker boom type noise also. Wasn't sure if anyone else heard this noise? Thoughts?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:58 am

Power transformer. Had one explode half a mile from me last year. Squirrel went to the big nut house in the sky.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6312
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Maybe someone set off a carbide barrel bomb. Great fun, and a whopper of a noise.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:51 pm

TJrandom wrote:Maybe someone set off a carbide barrel bomb. Great fun, and a whopper of a noise.

Saw a carbide cannon loaded with wood chips used to dissuade birds from feasting on crops. Two discharges and the birds didn't come back.

Neither did the neighbors, but {!#%@} 'em, they were summer people.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6312
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:58 pm

OK to scare off the birds and the summer people too - but then what are ya gonna eat come winter?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:42 pm

TJrandom wrote:OK to scare off the birds and the summer people too - but then what are ya gonna eat come winter?

Assorted girlfriends. :twisted:
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27349
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Wild animal
Location: Transcona

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gord » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pm

orionsbeltdude wrote:Last week I was parked at the J Percy Priest Reservoir. I noticed a small meteor shower happening. My dog was with me. While watching the shower a loud boom happened within what seemed like a couple of miles. My dog even started barking. I was parked on the opposite side of the reservoir than the other people and they all looked around after hearing the firecracker boom type noise also. Wasn't sure if anyone else heard this noise? Thoughts?

Why did you take your dog to the reservoir? Are you Mr. Orange, or Mr. Blonde?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm Mr. Color Out Of Space.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
busterggi
Regular Poster
Posts: 870
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 pm
Custom Title: General Weirdness
Location: New Britain, CT

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby busterggi » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:16 pm

What had you fed the dog before the walk?

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:20 pm

busterggi wrote:What had you fed the dog before the walk?

I dunno, what's a good anti-walk dish?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6312
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:00 pm

That reservoir is quite large. Mght be difficult to see people on the other side and judge why they appeared to move in one direction or another.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 18257
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:26 pm

TJrandom wrote:That reservoir is quite large. Mght be difficult to see people on the other side and judge why they appeared to move in one direction or another.

Sound travels well over water.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6312
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby TJrandom » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:56 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:That reservoir is quite large. Mght be difficult to see people on the other side and judge why they appeared to move in one direction or another.

Sound travels well over water.


Eyesight detail diminishes with distance and imagination takes over. Besides, he was startled by the dog barking and looked away.

IrritableBadger
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:12 am

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby IrritableBadger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:24 pm

Gord wrote:
orionsbeltdude wrote:Last week I was parked at the J Percy Priest Reservoir. I noticed a small meteor shower happening. My dog was with me. While watching the shower a loud boom happened within what seemed like a couple of miles. My dog even started barking. I was parked on the opposite side of the reservoir than the other people and they all looked around after hearing the firecracker boom type noise also. Wasn't sure if anyone else heard this noise? Thoughts?

Why did you take your dog to the reservoir? Are you Mr. Orange, or Mr. Blonde?


The real question is did he take the dog, or did the dog take him? The noise could very well have been the void in which knowledge of such things is stowed snapping shut.

The electrical transformer is probably my favorite alternate answer. They make a hell of a noise when they fail and over water the distance from will be very difficult to judge based on sound. If it's like most reservoirs there's a bunch of infrastructure everywhere around and most of it will have been there since the reservoir was created. The old equipment was built when PCB's were the answer to expensive engineering and environmental concerns were limited to turds being visible in the water. No effort was expended in containing catastrophic failure so they're incredibly loud in comparison to what most people are typically exposed to.

User avatar
Monster
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Tarrytown, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Strange Noise in Nashville, November 12th

Postby Monster » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:44 pm

The "strange noise in Nashville" was country music.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest