Could someone please give me an explanation.

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Never_Enough

Could someone please give me an explanation.

Postby Never_Enough » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 pm

New here, but have been attempting to join similar forums in the past but have had a problem verifying E-mail addresses.

I am first and foremost a skeptical person, the son of a maths tutor and certainly not one who suffers fools.

Despise this I feel it important from a intellectual and philosophical standpoint to actually look into paranormal phenomena in a fair unbiased manner.

I have often thought before for example that if 2000 years ago humans had been shown the technology of today( for example a tv' it would appear as 'unexplainable' as certain elements of the paranormal does now, but the only reason we don't see it like that is because we cant imagine what it is like for example to have no concept of electricity.
It is because odf this I stay away from a more arrogant and ignorant tone when approaching some elements of the paranormal. We can never be certain about anything, only beyond reasonable doubt.

That said I personally have never experienced anything remotely paranormal or unexplainable in my life to draw any evidence on, besides one single event that occurred a couple of years ago, and it is this event I would like the hardened skeptics here to attempt to work with me on.

First of all I wrote what happened down there and then, so I am not in danger of false memories or any other kind of time delayed confusion.

It is a full and accurate account.

I was being driven by my father about 5 miles from a train station in the evening, whilst dark.

The entire route is fields and farms with nothing on either side.

About half way down the drive in my head the word 'Arboreal' inexplicably began to circulate in my head. There was absolutely no reason for this, no signage, no sound ( no radio) absolutely nothing that could have instigated the thought. Not even trees in the area.

Approximately twenty seconds later my father turned to me and said ' Rob, do you know what arboreal means?'

It to date is the only time I have had an experience or event that I cannot logically explain myself.

The word arboreal is not exactly your everyday word, and to have it suddenly enter your head followed by the person sitting next to you then ask you what it means seems beyond logical explanation. Its not as if the topic was cats, cars or something relevant. Of course you could say it was an extreme coincidence and I have generally thought that could be the only explanation of that sort, but using Occam Razor, I cannot force myself to believe that is the simplest answer.

I would like to discuss it, as to what other skeptics think could have caused it, as its something I have often thought about but never really asked publicly.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Could someone please give me an explanation.

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:30 am

Hi, Rob. Welcome to SSF. :)

First thought that came to my mind was the question, could you have quietly spoken that word to yourself when it popped into your head, and your dad responded with a question to that? And have you ever asked your dad what made him ask it at all?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:52 am

Never_Enough wrote:About half way down the drive in my head the word 'Arboreal' inexplicably began to circulate in my head......Approximately twenty seconds later my father turned to me and said ' Rob, do you know what arboreal means?'
There are 7 billion people on the planet and the average person knows 25,000 words. I would be surprised if no one had coincidences like this. In fact you have probably had this exact same coincidence happen before but with a more common word and thus didn't notice. You have simply experienced a coincidence. It's nothing to do with the paranormal.

For the paranormal, you really don't have to spend any time even thinking about it. Until someone shows evidence that a paranormal event has happened, it is just another story like the Easter bunny, Sherlock Holmes or Johnny Appleseed. We haven't got to that first base yet, of anything para-normally actually happening.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:58 am

scrmbldggs wrote:And have you ever asked your dad what made him ask it at all?
Great question. It was obviously on your father's mind for some time.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 am

despise this
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong . :burn:

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 am

Never_Enough wrote:First of all I wrote what happened down there and then, so I am not in danger of false memories or any other kind of time delayed confusion.

Even if you wrote it down within seconds of the event, you are still in danger of false memories occurring.

About half way down the drive in my head the word 'Arboreal' inexplicably began to circulate in my head. There was absolutely no reason for this, no signage, no sound ( no radio) absolutely nothing that could have instigated the thought. Not even trees in the area.

Approximately twenty seconds later my father turned to me and said ' Rob, do you know what arboreal means?'

It's possible that you've often had words pop into your head at times when no one brought them up. Such occurrences would not be noteworthy enough to remember. The only reason you remember it in this case is because of the coincidence of someone else mentioning the word shortly after you'd been thinking about it.

It to date is the only time I have had an experience or event that I cannot logically explain myself.

It's quite easy to explain logically, you just don't believe the explanation, as you've said yourself:

...you could say it was an extreme coincidence and I have generally thought that could be the only explanation of that sort, but using Occam Razor, I cannot force myself to believe that is the simplest answer.

Perhaps you are misusing Occam's Razor here?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:despise this
Despise what? A young bloke asking questions? Why can't he ask questions?

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 am

This happens with some frequency between married people... `oh, {!#%@}`/`you {!#%@}`, `{!#%@} me`/`{!#%@} you`, `bastard`/`bitch`, ... :lol:

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:17 am

Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:19 am

Driving through the vast emptiness that is the countryside can leave you with lots of time to let your thoughts run on the tracks that run alongside your vehicle and sometimes {!#%@} just happens. A possible explanation is you see no trees, so your mind, in all its beautiful mysteriousness, starts playing word association games, with or without your being conscious of it. Your father, a genetic relative of yours who passed along half of himself to make you, could also be exercising his own train of thought and logically arrive at a word that he may or may not think his offspring may or may not know so he does what fathers do and gives you a surprise pop quiz to see if you've been paying attention and asks if you know the definition of a word that should not be anywhere near your thoughts but guess what, dad?
Or sometimes {!#%@} just happens.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Never_Enough

Postby Never_Enough » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:04 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Hi, Rob. Welcome to SSF. :)

First thought that came to my mind was the question, could you have quietly spoken that word to yourself when it popped into your head, and your dad responded with a question to that? And have you ever asked your dad what made him ask it at all?

Thank you.

Yes I actually asked that almost immediately and he replied that it had simply 'come into his head'.

My initial naturally critical thinking thoughts came to possibilities such as was there any signage or posters that we could have subconsciously taken in to make us both think of that word, but upon retracing that route in the morning to go back to the station there was no such thing.

I guess I am going to have to assume it was just an extreme coincidence, as said there are many thousands of words we know. I guess its just the obscurity of the word. When was the last time anyone here thought of the arboreal?

I did use logic similar to that to work it out under the assumption that if there are 64 million people in the U.K the chances are high that one of them the night before a terrorist attack on a train is going to have a dream about a terrorist attack on a train, and that it doesn't mean they predicted it but just that the amount of people gives it a higher chance.

Had the word been a less obscure one I would obviously not have batted an eyelid.

Never_Enough

Postby Never_Enough » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:14 am

Despise what?

I've browsed here a while and see some who give good answers and information and some who seem to want to mock.

Surely being an intellectual and a skeptic is not about denying the possibility of anything 100% as otherwise we would still be living in the stone age, its about debunking fraud, myths and lies, am I right?

My question was genuine, it was more to get good explanations to an event which is to date the only event I could not EASILY explain myself. Obviously it can be easily explained by others, but its harder when you are the one it happened to.

I am sufficiently happy with the position that it was an extreme coincidence as it was generally the only logical conclusion I came to.

Maybe some wouldnt consider my stance to be true skepticism, I am not sure, but I feel a strong stance that ridicule should not be placed upon certain things ( there are plenty of ridiculous claims) but as is done by most here, debunked fairly.

I always think of the human 2000 years ago and what he would think if he saw a robot, or a tv. Would it not appear as paranormal to him then as things do to us now?

-Let me just add here, I am now 30 years old, not that young anymore :)

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:29 am

Never_Enough wrote:

Despise what?

Despise this I feel it important from a intellectual and philosophical standpoint to actually look into paranormal phenomena in a fair unbiased manner.

He was simply pointing out that you used despise, while I assume you intended despite. Some are spelling/word choice Nazis. Happy to see you join us....

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 am

"fair and unbiased"? We'd be the only ones, the True Believers have an agenda which requires they accept ANY "evidence" that supports their claims and REJECT any fatal flaws to their beliefs. If you and I agreed to have a knife fight, mano-a-mano, and I showed up with six friends, all armed, is that fair?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:11 pm

Never_Enough wrote:I've browsed here a while and see some who give good answers and information and some who seem to want to mock.

I'm a mocker. Good answers and information take too long and I'm really really lazy.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:05 pm

You were quoting Never_Enough's typo?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:12 pm

Aztexan wrote:Driving through the vast emptiness that is the countryside can leave you with lots of time to let your thoughts run on the tracks that run alongside your vehicle and sometimes {!#%@} just happens. A possible explanation is you see no trees, so your mind, in all its beautiful mysteriousness, starts playing word association games, with or without your being conscious of it. Your father, a genetic relative of yours who passed along half of himself to make you, could also be exercising his own train of thought and logically arrive at a word that he may or may not think his offspring may or may not know so he does what fathers do and gives you a surprise pop quiz to see if you've been paying attention and asks if you know the definition of a word that should not be anywhere near your thoughts but guess what, dad?
Or sometimes {!#%@} just happens.

That relatedness in being and, apparently, education and, perhaps, some unconscious reaction to the lack of trees might have triggered the question. (To me "arboreal" isn't really an uncommon word, but I could see if having encountered it not too long ago prior to the incident somehow somewhere, it might have made both recall it during that drive.)

I'm also wondering, if any (unconscious) outward sign was given, if so-called mirror neurons could have played a role?

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Some guy did a mathematical analysis on the probability of coincidences. Given the number of tiny events in our lives, such as thinking of a specific word out of the blue, he calculated that we should experience at least one one-in-a-million chance coincidence every 2 months.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:43 pm

Jinx!

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 pm

I was thinking of the random chance that a parent and offspring could both have similar thought processes or patterns when exposed to the same environment.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Aztexan wrote:I was thinking of the random chance that a parent and offspring could both have similar thought processes or patterns when exposed to the same environment.

I was just thinking of cheese.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Gord wrote:
Aztexan wrote:I was thinking of the random chance that a parent and offspring could both have similar thought processes or patterns when exposed to the same environment.

[lame cheese pun goes here]

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Never_Enough wrote:Surely being an intellectual and a skeptic is not about denying the possibility of anything 100% as otherwise we would still be living in the stone age, its about debunking fraud, myths and lies, am I right?

I'm not sure a skeptic has to be an intellectual.. If I'm standing on a work site and some old, half drunk, experienced, lighting rigger says "Mate, that plans is never going to work because of X, Y & Z. ". I'm going to listen to him.

The general rule here is "Good logic stands on its own, regardless of the original source"

Secondly, I don't think a skeptic can debunk all frauds, myths and lies, as that would be taking on the whole of human civilisation. I think the general rule is: you only apply skepticism to claims that these frauds, myths and lies are true when they are presented to us. I can't ethically post on a Catholic community forum and scream that they are religious spreading lies. However I can respond if someone posts their religious rubbish, and claims it is true, on our science & skepticism forum.

"Skepticism" VS "Critical Thinking"
Never_Enough wrote:Maybe some wouldnt consider my stance to be true skepticism, I am not sure, but I feel a strong stance that ridicule should not be placed upon certain things ( there are plenty of ridiculous claims) but as is done by most here, debunked fairly.
I don't think skepticism is applicable to your incident yet, as no one, including yourself made any hypothesis. You simply explained the facts and we made the first hypothesis, that it was mere coincidence, which makes a lot of sense using critical thinking skills. Therefore, until someone makes a better hypothesis, mere coincidence is the "working hypothesis".

The motto of this forum is "Promoting science and critical thinking" which means the forum members are generally bound to application of the scientific method. (In reality everyone just has a lot of fun. ) :D

-
Never_Enough wrote:Let me just add here, I am now 30 years old, not that young anymore
To me age seems to be irrelevant here. There are lots of old people but simultaneously we have 28 years olds like Shen who are skeptical "grand masters". Enjoy yourself and read through the various threads. Get to know the various members and their style. Pick a topic you like and simply jump in. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

[I prefer a melted cheese bun]
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

[How do you melt a bun?]
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:39 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

[How do you melt a bun?]

[Hold it by the ears and zap it with a laser,]

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Matthew and his Dad at the annual model train exhibition
Dad : "Outrageous! Everyone knows that the 3801 steam train in 4-6-2 configuration, in 1942, had 18 rivets on the tender's outer wheel and not 16 rivets"
Matthew : "I was thinking exactly the same thing"
:D

(Sometimes it gets a little creepy)

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

[How do you melt a bun?]

[Sounds like you know jack {!#%@}]

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:

[How do you melt a bun?]

[Sounds like you know jack {!#%@}]

[Is that the dude who sells t-shits on the intercheesecloth?]

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:05 am

the aliens are contacting you...enjoy it
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:11 am

gorgeous wrote:the aliens are contacting you...enjoy it

Arboreal aliens?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:14 am

Never Enough, here is a good person to test your skeptical questions out on. Gorgeous posts fake UFO videos and other easily debunked fairy tales. Ask him for his evidence and see what happens. ( He runs away ) :D

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:42 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:

Arboreal aliens?

sure
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:58 am

OlegTheBatty wrote: Arboreal aliens?
gorgeous wrote: sure

Tree dwelling aliens?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:10 am

Yeah, as beloved as the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus. :lol:

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote: Arboreal aliens?
gorgeous wrote: sure

Tree dwelling aliens?

Yes. The come from the jungles of Sumatra, Laos, Borneo, Papua New Guinea, Amazon, Congo . . . :| . . . Jeez, Matthew, there must be SOME jungle where people haven't gotten to with their cell phone cameras . . .

Maybe Burma . . . oops - Myanmar . . .

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 pm

Never Enough wrote:

Wow! That's exactly what happened to me too. I was driving through a nondescript, and as the poet so aptly once said, empty city streets, the muttering retreats...blah, blah, blah, just one thought circulated in my head...sex. When I arrived at my favourite bar a tall pretty ( or pretty tall) blonde came and struck a conversation with me wanting to know what the word sex means.

Propelled by my desire to explore and share knowledge I embarked on a long soliloquy about psychology of coincidences and linguistics in general. The blonde left quickly leaving me with my solitary bottle and a burly barman who could only mumble sadly "Flash, that's not how you pick up chicks, okay".
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 am

Never_Enough wrote:

Despise what?

I've browsed here a while and see some who give good answers and information and some who seem to want to mock.

Surely being an intellectual and a skeptic is not about denying the possibility of anything 100% as otherwise we would still be living in the stone age, its about debunking fraud, myths and lies, am I right?

My question was genuine, it was more to get good explanations to an event which is to date the only event I could not EASILY explain myself. Obviously it can be easily explained by others, but its harder when you are the one it happened to.

I am sufficiently happy with the position that it was an extreme coincidence as it was generally the only logical conclusion I came to.

Maybe some wouldnt consider my stance to be true skepticism, I am not sure, but I feel a strong stance that ridicule should not be placed upon certain things ( there are plenty of ridiculous claims) but as is done by most here, debunked fairly.

I always think of the human 2000 years ago and what he would think if he saw a robot, or a tv. Would it not appear as paranormal to him then as things do to us now?

-Let me just add here, I am now 30 years old, not that young anymore :)

guess its just one of my many flaws - I noticed you wrote despise this instead of despite this . Freudian slip ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong . :burn:

LogicalSceptic

Postby LogicalSceptic » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:30 pm

Never_Enough wrote:New here, but have been attempting to join similar forums in the past but have had a problem verifying E-mail addresses.

I am first and foremost a skeptical person, the son of a maths tutor and certainly not one who suffers fools.

I have often thought before for example that if 2000 years ago humans had been shown the technology of today( for example a tv' it would appear as 'unexplainable' as certain elements of the paranormal does now, but the only reason we don't see it like that is because we cant imagine what it is like for example to have no concept of electricity.
It is because odf this I stay away from a more arrogant and ignorant tone when approaching some elements of the paranormal. We can never be certain about anything, only beyond reasonable doubt.

That said I personally have never experienced anything remotely paranormal or unexplainable in my life to draw any evidence on, besides one single event that occurred a couple of years ago, and it is this event I would like the hardened skeptics here to attempt to work with me on.

First of all I wrote what happened down there and then, so I am not in danger of false memories or any other kind of time delayed confusion.

It is a full and accurate account.

I was being driven by my father about 5 miles from a train station in the evening, whilst dark.

The entire route is fields and farms with nothing on either side.

The word arboreal is not exactly your everyday word, and to have it suddenly enter your head followed by the person sitting next to you then ask you what it means seems beyond logical explanation. Its not as if the topic was cats, cars or something relevant. Of course you could say it was an extreme coincidence and I have generally thought that could be the only explanation of that sort, but using Occam Razor, I cannot force myself to believe that is the simplest answer.

I would like to discuss it, as to what other skeptics think could have caused it, as its something I have often thought about but never really asked publicly.

As you mention in a later post on this thread that you might have subconsciously seen the word and that was my thought.
We take in far more information subconsciously than we can consciously.
Were you and your father talking at any time during the journey?
Could you both have been unaware of any other vehicles you passed that may have had that word on them because you were distracted whilst talking?
Being out in the country, it seems quite a coincidence that you both thought of that word. There would be those types of businesses out there with trucks, cars etc.

Were there any signs or leaflets in the station? A notice board with local ads posted to them?

LS

IrritableBadger

Postby IrritableBadger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Did your father like his job? Did he ever express hardline sentiment about how trees stand in the way of progress? What were/are his thoughts on evolution? Have either of you ever given thought to where the live trees used in stage productions and movies live when not on the job?

My examples might seem funny, but I guarantee the inside of your noggin is a funnier place. Be it in sleep or repetitive labor, weekly office meetings or church your mind will go off and do its own thing if you aren't doing anything interesting.

It's doing it all the time, but occasionally we walk in on it and it's always awkward. Like someone's mom walking in on your adventures in gene splicing.

You can try to follow it and see what it gets up to, but if you start to take it too seriously you're a step away from a life of uninsulated saffron robes, sandals and incredibly bland sno-cones on the frozen shores of a high mountain lake surrounded by politically confused villagers and menstrual huts.

There's nothing wrong with that. However, even the people that go that route will tell you the bulk of your time will be spent telling yourself to not go crazy. The idle processing of your mind doesn't make sense. It isn't supposed to.

The "eureka realization" we all occasionally have is our mind stumbling simultaneously on two things and noting they can be joined to be one thing. Ultra smart people, for some reason, retain awareness of the two individual things and their interrelated qualities as well as the singular thing that's created by joining them together.

Crazy people don't see the two things. They see only the singular thing and have absolutely no idea why it's that way. They go off to spend their days bashing random things together searching for the constituent parts of the thing.

Normal people are somewhere between. Occasionally you'll notice something and recall an earlier realization and perhaps even wonder if the thing you noticed is a component of the earlier realization. After a moment you go on and that's pretty much what you're supposed to do as a Human. Adaptability, curiosity, confusion, fear, humor and reckless abandon are the only things Humans (as a species) are any good at.

You might as well roll with it. The only train out of town is coming and reservations aren't required. There's no need to stand on the platform and make yourself miserable or drive yourself mad. When the train arrives you'll either get your answers or you'll no longer have questions (depending on your view of such things).

Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”