Graham Nicholls OBE a skeptical look

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: Graham Nicholls OBE a skeptical look

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:25 am

kurt forrer wrote:When you are asleep the moon of the waking world does not exist because the waking world does not exist to the dreamer.
kurt forrer wrote:You set up a video because you did not read my post, otherwise you would have seen that I said: "One cannot have two points of view at one and the SAME TIME.
I can have several video cameras filming the moon as I sleep and watch them later on to ensure the moon doesn't disappear when I'm sleeping. It's the moon and does not belong to the waking world or the sleeping world as you claimed.
kurt forrer wrote:The Skeptics Forum gets a bad name when you don't read but just lash out when you sense something religious.
The Skeptic forum is very safe from criticism from people like yourself who thing dreams predict the future. This is a science forum and not some stupid Advaita religious forum.
kurt forrer wrote: I have noticed that all those who trashed my dream posts were ignorant about dreams. They seemed to be unaware that many scientific problems were solved by a dream.
It seems you don't have a clue about the difference between an anecdote and the scientific method.......yet here you are posting on a science forum.

kurt forrer wrote:With respect to Vedic ‘religion’, which you dismiss again only too hastily, I have to inform you that it revolutionised QM
Complete and utter bull-{!#%@}. You obviously don't know what quantum mechanics is. The uncertainty principle is not about a human observing anything...it is about measurement.

Have you actually bothered to learn anything about the principles of quantum mechanics at all?
:lol:
kurt forrer wrote:Perhaps it would be beneficial for you to do some solid reading in QM and DREAMS before you make further dismissive comments as if you were an authority on all subjects.
OK. Let's start using citations from actual quantum mechanics papers to see where Advaita religious philosophy comes into the equations. You start with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. I'll just sit here and laugh at you coming up empty handed.

PS we already have banned the last lot of Advaita spammers. Would you like to join their forum instead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29039&hilit=placid
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25178&p=625836&hil ... ia#p625827

PS Thankfully, also, my father was censor of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, and I have his library.....so do cite appropriate books and journals on dreams predicting the future.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Dog Dreams predict the future

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:33 am

Kurt Forrer claims dreams can predict the future and Kurt claims he can prove this and explain it scientifically.

Here is a video of a dog having a dream. Kurt will now explain, using all of his Jungian psychology skills, what future this dog's dream is predicting. [bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9rxejeQObs[/bbvideo]

Kurt will then explain when, in human evolution, ( or dog evolution, if he prefers), a magical quantum mechanical event occurred that allowed human dreams to predict the future....under his amazing scientific theory. Was it Australopithecus? No? Homo Habilis? No? Good old Jungian Neanderthals? No?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Cat Dreams predict the future

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:40 am

Here is a video of a cat having a dream about riding a bicycle and having a crash.
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD9ABUUTD-4[/bbvideo]

Does Kurt want me to interview the cat and determine, if indeed the cat's dream was predictive and the cat did have a bicycle crash in the future.

(.....as some of my fellow skeptics have guessed, I'm not taking this very seriously, until Kurt completes his full paper on quantum mechanics explaining how dreams in animals predict the future....the experiment..... and statistical results) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Horse Dreams predict the future

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:46 am

Here is a video of a horse having a dream that she is first ballerina of the
большой балет in Moscow. This is obviously very very Jungian.

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881Pexp6CoU[/bbvideo]

Does Kurt want me to interview the horse and determine, if indeed the horses's dream was predictive and the horse did indeed dance with the Grand Ballet in Moscow in the future, after the dream. :lol: :lol:

kurt forrer

Post by kurt forrer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am

I see that you are not alone in insisting that "religious concepts" are childish. But, as you see, I am in good company. So are you still maintaining that the Vedas are childish and Bohr and Heisenberg with them. And what about Kekulé and Loewi? Childish conclusions from a dream? I haven't found your reply yet? Doing READING instead? Good on you!

kurt forrer

Post by kurt forrer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am

I see that you are not alone in insisting that "religious concepts" are childish. But, as you see, I am in good company. So are you still maintaining that the Vedas are childish and Bohr and Heisenberg with them. And what about Kekulé and Loewi? Childish conclusions from a dream? I haven't found your reply yet? Doing READING instead? Good on you!

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:56 am

kurt forrer wrote:I see that you are not alone in insisting that "religious concepts" are childish. But, as you see, I am in good company. So are you still maintaining that the Vedas are childish and Bohr and Heisenberg with them. And what about Kekulé and Loewi? Childish conclusions from a dream? I haven't found your reply yet? Doing READING instead? Good on you!
Let me make this easy for you to follow.

1) Advaita vedanta is a religion and not a scientific theory. Advaita cannot be set out in any logical manner. It has no connection to quantum mechanics and cannot predict anything.

2) Not one of the quantum physicists, ever quoted, used or incorporated Advaita religious beliefs in any of their papers and it was complete nonsense for you to suggest any such connection.

3) Dreams do not predict the future. You have not set up any such experiment that would prove otherwise. In fact you have directly ignored all my specific points that debunk your fortune telling claim, concerning dreams.
a) Sapir Whorf Theory
b) Dreamer subjectively only remembers parts of dream and subjectively self-assess if metaphor was predictive
c) No scientific basis or theory
d) Why humans only and not animals?
e) You never actually did any experiment.

4) How in hell can you claim quantum mechanics, as some sort of scientific basis for your claim dreams can predict the future? What paper or QM phenomena are you trying to introduce to allow this claim?

I have reminded you that you are posting on a science based forum, that requires the use of the scientific method, supported by evidence. If you want to spread religious propaganda about Advaita and crap about your fortune telling skills, then do so on one of their Advaita forums.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:29 pm

kurt forrer wrote:One cannot have two points of view at one and the SAME TIME.
I can. That's how I can compare two points of view.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 am

Gord wrote:I can. That's how I can compare two points of view.
Thank you Gord. That was excellent. :D

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:23 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:I can. That's how I can compare two points of view.
Thank you Gord. That was excellent. :D
I call that the "gray basket" where you put ideas until you can decide if they are black or white.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 pm

How did I miss THIS guy? I hope he hasn't run away yet.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 pm

Poodle wrote:How did I miss THIS guy? I hope he hasn't run away yet.
He looks kinda gone to me......not enough self affirmation going on?

But....….why YOUR interest? I thought you were above this sort of thing?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Poodle wrote:How did I miss THIS guy? I hope he hasn't run away yet.
He ran away quickly as he was a former school principal and thus the most educated of the Advaita fans posting here. However he still went through all the "Woo" steps.

He basically claimed the Jungian (sexual motifs) in dreams predicted the future. He does fortune telling at regional Victorian festivals.

When first questioned, he claimed "quantum mechanics" which was hilarious as the "uncertainty principle" strictly prohibits "predicting the future".

He then started posting Advaita crap which we identified and questioned him on. He then admitted to being an advaita follower and claimed quantum mechanics was inspired by Advaita.....which was also complete crap and not one paper by any quantum physicist ever mentioned the Advaita religion .

When we asked him to use scientific terminology to form a testable hypothesis......he realised he was out of his depth and ran away. :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:06 am

gorgeous wrote:Al Sullivan NDE
Already debunked in 2013 by Shen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22035

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:37 am

doesn't mean a thing
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 am

gorgeous wrote:doesn't mean a thing
Bad luck Gorgeous. The NDE story was debunked years ago and you can't even set out what the claim was anymore. :lol: :lol: :lol:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:21 pm

doesn't matter if someone 'debunked' it....still happened...doc said patient didn't die...it's a nde, near death...docs have big egos....he said he doesn't know if he flapped his arms....but it was a habit of his..

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 am

gorgeous wrote:doesn't matter if someone 'debunked' it....still happened....
A bloke was given drugs, was near death and got better again........what is paranormal about that? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: