Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here. :wave:

I was just really concerned about this guy Dr Mitchell Gibson on youtube who claims to have supernatural powers and claims to be able to see the dead and remove "spirit attachments". It's really weird and he says that some Light Being talks to him during his meditation and he claims to have "dined with God". :blink:

He seems to be quite an intelligent fellow, is a psychiatrist and has lots of information on ancient religious texts, etc. And it's quite easy to believe him if you're like one of those religious, irrational types. But it's just too far out for me. I don't know if he's like, a charlatan or deluded or just weird. :shockd:

I'm not assuming anything about him. I just want someone to investigate this guy and find out if he's for real.

Please check him out and let me know what you think. Let's discuss this. :clapping:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mitchellgibsonmd8000

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Content Spammer.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9890
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby fromthehills » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:18 pm

I think that was a Russian missile gone awry.

Seems like spam to me, too.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:28 pm

fromthehills wrote:I think that was a Russian missile gone awry.

Seems like spam to me, too.

I love it when people start off their relationship with you by lying. "Have you lost my email address" is a viagra spam, etc. So, now that I know you're a liar, should I send my credit info to you? Gee, let me think.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Honolulu
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby vanderpoel » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I think that was a Russian missile gone awry.

Seems like spam to me, too.

I love it when people start off their relationship with you by lying. "Have you lost my email address" is a viagra spam, etc. So, now that I know you're a liar, should I send my credit info to you? Gee, let me think.

Don't, send it to me instead. But to avoid abuse, use PM. Thank you.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:05 pm

vanderpoel wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I think that was a Russian missile gone awry.

Seems like spam to me, too.

I love it when people start off their relationship with you by lying. "Have you lost my email address" is a viagra spam, etc. So, now that I know you're a liar, should I send my credit info to you? Gee, let me think.

Don't, send it to me instead. But to avoid abuse, use PM. Thank you.

Call me. 202-456-1414
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:08 pm

"Kill it with fire!"
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Luuuuccccyyyyy!!!!!!! You got some zplainin' to do.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Administrator
Posts: 10318
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:48 pm

For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:03 am

Sorry guys, this is not spam. I just posted the topic in another thread because I didn't get any immediate replies and thought maybe it will be more noticed in another thread. I had meant to delete the other topic but I couldn't access my account so...

Here I am now, thanks Pyrrho.



http://www.youtube.com/user/mitchellgibsonmd8000#p/u/43/6yuhLmUNRR4

Okay, so this is the video where the doctor explains how he acquired his supernatural powers. This is only part 1 of 6. Please check out the rest of the videos as well.

And this is a doctor who seems to have high credentials too.


"Dr. Gibson has been listed among the Top Doctors in Arizona in Phoenix magazine on several occasions. He has also three times been named to the Woodward and White listing of the "Best Doctors in America"

http://www.tybro.com/html/about_us.html


I am a skeptic and I like to keep an open mind about any out-of-the-ordinary phenomena as any scientific minded person would. There is a lot we don't YET know about ourselves and the universe. And I think if there is evidence we ought to examine it.

So I came across this person on youtube and he gives out prayers that apparently according to the testimonies he's received, has cured illnesses and gotten rid of relationship, financial, etc troubles. And apparently, he can see souls of the dead and talk to higher beings, etc. I don't know what to make of it, so I'm here on this forum asking fellow skeptics what they would make of it.

Please check out as many of his videos as possible and tell me what you think. A lot of the people who posted comments on his videos seem to believe what he says but I'm skeptical..so..

As for the James Randi million dollar challenge, I'm not sure this doctor is out to prove anything. So he might not be interested in subjecting himself to the test. That's just my feeling, I don't know if he would in fact be interested. *shrugs*

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:17 am

Oops! Sorry about the "kill it with fire" crack. I thought you were a spambot. :?

I am concerned still that this is an effort to get more youtube views for someone who doesn't really deserve them, though. Will he use his number of views to attempt to validate himself somehow? I don't know. Mostly, however, I'm tempted to simply dismiss him without even looking.

The power of prayer has been tested scientifically before, and nothing has been found that verifies the belief in it. Testimonials are tragically poor evidence. And if he claims to be able to see "souls," and talk to "higher spirits," then he sounds like nothing more than a typical charlatan.

As for not wanting to prove anything, I think if that were true, he wouldn't be making youtube videos in the first place. Making claims that way can hardly be anything else than an appeal that people should believe in him without allowing anyone to test his claims. I see no point in validating him in his attempt.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10690
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby xouper » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:58 am

lucy wrote:... I think if there is evidence we ought to examine it.

Agreed. Let us know when Dr. Gibson has some legitimate scientific evidence for his paranormal claims.

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:58 am

@ xouper - Well the evidence is just the testimonials on his own site, from the people who apparently bought and listened to his prayer CDs. So I don't know how much you can trust that. I wish he'd provide other evidence.

@ Gord - I understand your concern about not wanting to give him more views because it might be perceived by some that if lots of people have watched it, he must be for real. And I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to promote this guy or make him famous or anything. That's not my intention at all. I have known about his videos for months now, I was shown it by a couple friends. And my first instinct was definitely "What rubbish! This is ridiculous, can't be true!". My friends however seem to believe it and I come from a Hindu culture where these things are accepted and his videos just seemed to confirm their own religious convictions about karma and reincarnation and all that. I mean, the latest rage among folks here is the Indian TV show 'Raaz' where the past lives of participants are explored through hypnosis. So you can imagine how hard it is to come by any real skeptical people around here.

I admit that part of me wants to believe him (perhaps because of my religious upbringing) and wouldn't it be just awesome if you could just 'pray the right way' and all your problems would be solved overnight? But I know that what he claims really goes against what we know about the laws of nature, scientific facts, and how the world works in general. So I remain skeptical for the most part.

I don't live in America or else I would have perhaps visited Dr Gibson to see what he was all about but I'm not there. And the Skeptics Society is all about discussing and debunking such claims, so I just got on here hoping someone would investigate his claims and find out if he was just a charlatan or not. I was just growing really uncomfortable with lots of people just believing in him and buying his stuff without really knowing if he's for real. That's why I got on here and posted this topic. If he gets some views because of this, it's really an unintended consequence of trying to bring his claims to your attention.

User avatar
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Honolulu
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby vanderpoel » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:06 am

Lucy, you may be skeptical, but you're not credible.
lucy wrote:This is only part 1 of 6. Please check out the rest of the videos as well.
Please check out as many of his videos as possible and tell me what you think.

If your true aim is to find out if this doctor is credible or not, why would you insist that we watch as many videos as possible?

Anyway, your timing is great, just as we lost our skeptic Hindu friend Neti, it's nice to have a new skeptic Hindu friend in Lucy. ;)
By the way, what's with all the question and exclamation marks? That a skeptic thing?
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:01 am

"I don't live in America or else I would have perhaps visited Dr Gibson to see what he was all about but I'm not there. "

If you lived in America there would be many, many, more interesting, useful, instructive and/or entertaining things to do.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:18 am

Okay fine, you know what? Don't watch it, don't watch any of it. Forget the whole thing. I only suggested you watch more videos so that you get a better idea of what it was all about. But if you just don't care, don't. I'm not forcing it down your throat or whatever. It is your choice and freedom. Forget the whole topic! Ignore it. In fact, the mod can delete the whole topic for all I care.

I don't want to have to defend myself many times about something so pathetic, about how I'm genuinely skeptical and all that. You think I'm promoting him on here?? If you just don't care, then don't go there. Nobody is forcing you. Just don't come attacking my intentions and get personal and try to make this about me. It's not about me, I haven't even met the guy! And if you think I'm not credible or whatever then so be it. I don't care. If you wanna take this as some kind of advertisement for going to his site, then so be it. There's nothing I can do about that.

If you want to delete the whole thing, you can, okay? I'm not replying anymore to this topic. You guys clearly don't care and I don't want to make this about me.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:22 am

lucy wrote:Okay fine, you know what? Don't watch it, don't watch any of it. Forget the whole thing. I only suggested you watch more videos so that you get a better idea of what it was all about. But if you just don't care, don't. I'm not forcing it down your throat or whatever. It is your choice and freedom. Forget the whole topic! Ignore it. In fact, the mod can delete the whole topic for all I care.

I don't want to have to defend myself many times about something so pathetic, about how I'm genuinely skeptical and all that. You think I'm promoting him on here?? If you just don't care, then don't go there. Nobody is forcing you. Just don't come attacking my intentions and get personal and try to make this about me. It's not about me, I haven't even met the guy! And if you think I'm not credible or whatever then so be it. I don't care. If you wanna take this as some kind of advertisement for going to his site, then so be it. There's nothing I can do about that.

If you want to delete the whole thing, you can, okay? I'm not replying anymore to this topic. You guys clearly don't care and I don't want to make this about me.

Lucy, you present information about something that has been demonstrated time and time again to be not at all likely, so you shouldn't be surprised that this pack of semi-pro skeptics finds it less than exciting. We see this kind of claim all the time. Skeptic magazine is based on refuting this claims, and they've been 100% successful so far. You've basically tried to start a conversation on astrology in an astronomer's convention.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:46 am

I understand, Gawdzilla. I sort of expected it, for people here to like completely disregard it, not show much interest. But to think that I'm promoting the guy here, like, it's so silly. It's like if I were to talk about some medium on TV like Lisa Williams or John Edwards or Uri Geller and said they're making such and such claims and I gave you the link of where they do that, because I was new to such things, then would that mean I'm promoting those people?

I'm here on Skeptics Forum because I don't understand such claims and it didn't seem real and I was asking for other skeptical people's opinions who really might know a lot about these things. And here was a doctor with seemingly high credentials and everything making such claims, I thought maybe it was worth examining (but I guess doctors can be quacks too, I don't know). Maybe worth checking him out so that someone can refute his claims. So that I can feel better knowing it's not real after all. So I was just asking for other people's opinions....is all I was doing, you know.

And I'm not a Hindu, I said I had a religious upbringing but that doesn't make me a Hindu. The culture of where I live is Hindu and I can't help that.

Said I wouldn't post but just to clarify... And I don't mind if you ignore/delete the whole thing.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 am

lucy wrote:I understand, Gawdzilla. I sort of expected it, for people here to like completely disregard it, not show much interest. But to think that I'm promoting the guy here, like, it's so silly. It's like if I were to talk about some medium on TV like Lisa Williams or John Edwards or Uri Geller and said they're making such and such claims and I gave you the link of where they do that, because I was new to such things, then would that mean I'm promoting those people?

I'm here on Skeptics Forum because I don't understand such claims and it didn't seem real and I was asking for other skeptical people's opinions who really might know a lot about these things. And here was a doctor with seemingly high credentials and everything making such claims, I thought maybe it was worth examining (but I guess doctors can be quacks too, I don't know). Maybe worth checking him out so that someone can refute his claims. So that I can feel better knowing it's not real after all. So I was just asking for other people's opinions....is all I was doing, you know.

And I'm not a Hindu, I said I had a religious upbringing but that doesn't make me a Hindu. The culture of where I live is Hindu and I can't help that.

Said I wouldn't post but just to clarify... And I don't mind if you ignore/delete the whole thing.

You need to note that your post was very close to the "standard format" spam. I know, I'm admin on more than a few sites and we get this stuff all the time. The general membership doesn't see nearly as many as we do because we bomb them promptly. There are places like Project Honeypot that have records of 3,000,000,000 spammers. (They passed that number about a week ago in fact.) It's a constant battle keeping a forum from being hosed down with demands for attention from these thieves. And, unfortunately, there are "friendly fire" casualties in the process.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:53 pm

You're right. I posted the same topic in 2 different threads so..it might have seemed like spam. And that could have been a factor for all the distrust. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:03 pm

lucy wrote:You're right. I posted the same topic in 2 different threads so..it might have seemed like spam. And that could have been a factor for all the distrust. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

I was one of the first suspect it of being a spam because I see so much. Luckily Pyrrho is more deliberate than I am in this kind of thing.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29416
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:42 pm

lucy wrote:You're right. I posted the same topic in 2 different threads so..it might have seemed like spam. And that could have been a factor for all the distrust. Thanks for pointing that out. :)


I apologize again for thinking you were a spammer that should be "killed with fire." ;)

Edit: Wow. :? I just Googled for "debunking Mitchell Gibson" and the first Skeptics website I found talking about him was this very thread we're posting in now.

Has no one even looked at this guy before? Is he new, or under the radar, or just so blatantly fake that no skeptic has thought it necessary to mention him yet?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9044
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 1:07 am
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Chachacha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Gord wrote:
lucy wrote:You're right. I posted the same topic in 2 different threads so..it might have seemed like spam. And that could have been a factor for all the distrust. Thanks for pointing that out. :)


I apologize again for thinking you were a spammer that should be "killed with fire." ;)

Edit: Wow. :? I just Googled for "debunking Mitchell Gibson" and the first Skeptics website I found talking about him was this very thread we're posting in now.

Has no one even looked at this guy before? Is he new, or under the radar, or just so blatantly fake that no skeptic has thought it necessary to mention him yet?


It's because we're True Skeptics™

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:22 am

Gord wrote:
lucy wrote:You're right. I posted the same topic in 2 different threads so..it might have seemed like spam. And that could have been a factor for all the distrust. Thanks for pointing that out. :)


I apologize again for thinking you were a spammer that should be "killed with fire." ;)

Edit: Wow. :? I just Googled for "debunking Mitchell Gibson" and the first Skeptics website I found talking about him was this very thread we're posting in now.

Has no one even looked at this guy before? Is he new, or under the radar, or just so blatantly fake that no skeptic has thought it necessary to mention him yet?



Thank you! Finally someone who thinks he should be debunked too! I think he's fairly new but he's already written a book too. He is making some really extraordinary claims about healing and supernatural powers and he does it in a way that could easily fool the typical new age junkie or any religious believer. And there are a lot of gullible ones out there. So I'm just concerned and wanted to alert you guys to this person's claims.

User avatar
vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Honolulu
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby vanderpoel » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 am

Here is a simple analysis in an easy to follow 12-step path to enlightenment:

1. the guy runs a business... TYBRO.COM INC.

2. he sells... Spiritual Tools to help you put your faith in action!

3. he sells... the "Creator"... there are tools that the Creator has given us that are designed to help insure that our prayers are answered.

4. his goal is... Our goal at Tybro is to provide the spiritual tools that will help you put your faith in action. (AT A HEFTY PRICE)

5. he sells BS... Miracles are used by the higher worlds as a way of communicating with the lower worlds.

6. he lies... Once you learn to get the attention of these higher beings, angels, guardian spirits, etc., miracles become much more common in your life.

7. he links the BS and the lies to... To get their attention, you need the right spiritual tools.

8. he is a savior, because conveniently... At Tybro we have created a large variety of spiritual tools that have helped scores of people create truly miraculous events in their lives. Our CD’s, DVD’s, stones of power, healing mantras, and teaching seminars are the result of ... (MORE BS)

9. he sounds like lucy... read as much of this information as possible.

10. he is a giving man because... TYBRO.COM is happy to announce our 20% off Customer Appreciation Sale.

11. he gives you until December 31 to save your soul at 20% off... All CD's, Books, DVD's, Downloads, All Blessed Stones, Sacred Scrolls, Medallions, Spiritual Texts, Holy Names Talisman, Software, The Primordial Teachings, All Levels of Spiritual Cleansings and Webinars.

12. he is your friend.... after December 31 he'll save your soul at the regular price.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9044
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 1:07 am
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Chachacha » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:27 am

Hallelujah.

User avatar
xouper
True Skeptic
Posts: 10690
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby xouper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 am

There are a bazillion people just like Gibson who have written books, made youtube videos, and have websites.

Here are just three relatively obscure examples that got their starts in the early 1990s.

Lee Carroll:
http://www.kryon.com/

Steve Rother:
http://www.lightworker.com/

Geoffrey Hoppe
http://www.crimsoncircle.com/

In their early days, I was an active participant on their forums, and eventually got banned from each of them for being a skeptic posting inconvenient truths.

So along comes a new face -- Gibson -- who looks a lot like everyone else in the New Age Community and needs debunking. Been there, done that, and it hasn't slowed any of them down, mostly because there are just too many gullible people who fall for their nonsense. Maybe someone who hasn't already been burned out can take on Gibson.

User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12391
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby JO 753 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:12 am

I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/mitchellgibsonmd8000#p/a/B57C4F53AF48211C/1/CLmyFvFqe28

"The Third Name of God
Phonetic: Nagchidash
Primordial: (Ten non-latin symbols probably found somewhere here http://www.omniglot.com/writing/conscripts.htm.") What a crazy coincidence that the primordial word has the same number of letters!

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:41 pm

Personally, I think debunking the guy will only give him unnecessary publicity. He probably uses people like Lucy, who is no doubt a very innocent party in this matter I'm sure, to get his name out on the 'net. Remember, before he was mentioned here there was ZERO hits for debunking him. Now he's associated with Skeptic.com. I wouldn't be surprised to see him claiming Michael Shermer had tried to debunk him and failed in the not too distant future.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
corymaylett
Regular Poster
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:03 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby corymaylett » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:37 pm

lucy wrote:Please check him out and let me know what you think. Let's discuss this. :clapping:


First off, I'd like to know why you found this guy interesting.

I've spent the last half hour looking at his videos, listening to interviews, checking out his Web sites and reading reviews of his books. From what I've seen, he's just another run-of-the-mill, self-promoting, new age mystic who's trying to make money selling books and recordings. Googling the guy turns up all kinds of stuff, but it's all, more or less, a result of his relentless self-promotion, so it's of little use in investigating his actual background and credentials.

Is it his supposed medical degree in psychiatry that you feel gives him the illusion of respectability? The guy's an obvious crackpot despite whatever school he might have gone to, how long he attended or where he's worked. His book, "Signs of Mental Illness: An Astrological and Psychiatric Breakthrough," pretty much has a title that speaks for itself. Apparently this, um, doctor has no use for science-based medicine. Among other things, he claims that staring at the sun will cause one's mind to become one with the sun and that he's personally interacted with sun-dwelling beings while meditating. He cites wacky testimonials of his for-sale CDs and talismans curing disease, making dogs tumor free and curing sick fish in aquariums. His personal Web site says on the first page, "Dr. Mitchell Earl Gibson is one of the most well known and highly respected medical doctors in the state of Arizona." Yeah, right. :roll: So he's pronounced himself to be well-known and highly respected. Does this sound like a professional physician or more like a shameless, self-promoting huckster?

I could go on, but really, why? He's throwing around a little bit of everything to see what crackpot stuff might stick to the wall. My best guess is that he's looking at the gullible to help him make money.

Again, why do you find this guy interesting?

User avatar
bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby bigtim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 am

quick search on APN turns up zero folks certified with his name.

Yeah, same old, same old.

Here is a good way to test:
http://www.xenu.net/archive/baloney_detection.html

The following are suggested as tools for testing arguments and detecting fallacious or fraudulent arguments:

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/tps-seti/baloney.html


Wherever possible there must be independent confirmation of the facts
Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents of all points of view.
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities").
Spin more than one hypothesis - don't simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy.
Try not to get overly attached to a hypothesis just because it's yours.
Quantify, wherever possible.
If there is a chain of argument every link in the chain must work.
"Occam's razor" - if there are two hypothesis that explain the data equally well choose the simpler.
Ask whether the hypothesis can, at least in principle, be falsified (shown to be false by some unambiguous test). In other words, it is testable? Can others duplicate the experiment and get the same result?
Additional issues are
Conduct control experiments - especially "double blind" experiments where the person taking measurements is not aware of the test and control subjects.
Check for confounding factors - separate the variables.
Common fallacies of logic and rhetoric
Ad hominem - attacking the arguer and not the argument.
Argument from "authority".
Argument from adverse consequences (putting pressure on the decision maker by pointing out dire consequences of an "unfavourable" decision).
Appeal to ignorance (absence of evidence is not evidence of absence).
Special pleading (typically referring to god's will).
Begging the question (assuming an answer in the way the question is phrased).
Observational selection (counting the hits and forgetting the misses).
Statistics of small numbers (such as drawing conclusions from inadequate sample sizes).
Misunderstanding the nature of statistics (President Eisenhower expressing astonishment and alarm on discovering that fully half of all Americans have below average intelligence!)
Inconsistency (e.g. military expenditures based on worst case scenarios but scientific projections on environmental dangers thriftily ignored because they are not "proved").
Non sequitur - "it does not follow" - the logic falls down.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc - "it happened after so it was caused by" - confusion of cause and effect.
Meaningless question ("what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?).
Excluded middle - considering only the two extremes in a range of possibilities (making the "other side" look worse than it really is).
Short-term v. long-term - a subset of excluded middle ("why pursue fundamental science when we have so huge a budget deficit?").
Slippery slope - a subset of excluded middle - unwarranted extrapolation of the effects (give an inch and they will take a mile).
Confusion of correlation and causation.
Straw man - caricaturing (or stereotyping) a position to make it easier to attack..
Suppressed evidence or half-truths.
Weasel words - for example, use of euphemisms for war such as "police action" to get around limitations on Presidential powers. "An important art of politicians is to find new names for institutions which under old names have become odious to the public"
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

User avatar
lucy
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:02 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby lucy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 am

Thank you Thylacine, for actually taking the time to really find out about this guy. He does seem like a charlatan to me too. I mean if I had all those powers he claims to have, I would ask 'God' to make me filthy rich overnight and then I wouldn't have to sell all those CDs and talismans that he's selling through his videos and website. And he claims to cure dogs with tumor and fish is aquariums, like :roll: And apparently he's "dined with God" too.

I did not know that there are hundreds like him out there. He only came to my attention through a friend and I hadn't known about people like him before. I mean, I know about all these mediums and psychics and how they try to fool people... But as for why I find him interesting, it's his statements about how a Buddhist monk came to his hometown and taught him meditation as a kid, and apparently since then he'd been meditating and seen a light being in his meditations. And also, the statement about how he went to India to meet this woman, Shri Mataji Indira Devi and how she had given him clairvoyant powers. I guess these two statements by him resonated with what stories I have heard in my culture. Being from a Hindu/Buddhist cultural background, I have heard anecdotes/stories about these people who have clairvoyant abilities through meditation and that they see/talk to Gods and how they're able to heal, etc. As you might know, these claims are really prevalent in Hindu/Buddhist cultures, about people being 'enlightened' through meditation and acquiring siddhis (supernatural powers). And here was an American man claiming the same. So I guess that's why I found him interesting and maybe worth investigating.

I'm not saying those anecdotes/stories in my culture are true, if that were the case nobody would ever be sick and they'd be prosperous and everything, but that's not the case. And I'm not saying I believe in these things either, these are just stories I have heard in my childhood and I guess it just leaves an imprint. And there are debunkers out there in India debunking tantriks and astrologers and things. And as I have realized this guy is a charlatan too. I cannot believe people like these exist, people without a conscience who are willing to exploit the grief of gullible victims in order to earn a few quick bucks. I can totally see people going through a rough patch in their lives maybe related to loss of loved ones/disease/financial trouble fall prey to these kinds of heartless charlatans, and it's quite sad. I wish there was a law against these people.

User avatar
bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby bigtim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:40 am

lucy wrote:Thank you Thylacine, for actually taking the time to really find out about this guy. He does seem like a charlatan to me too. I mean if I had all those powers he claims to have, I would ask 'God' to make me filthy rich overnight and then I wouldn't have to sell all those CDs and talismans that he's selling through his videos and website. And he claims to cure dogs with tumor and fish is aquariums, like :roll: And apparently he's "dined with God" too.


Really? How is watching his videos "looking into him"? Honestly? He just looked out of curiosity, he didn't "look into him". And from what I've seen of Thylacine he won't say he did.

I looked him up on the The American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology; maybe you didn't know what I meant, so I'll clarify.

But, seriously read what I posted. If you are sincere then you truly want to learn. The links I provide gives some overview of "how" to be skeptical. I'm quite fond of the "baloney detection kit".

Here, I'll elucidate on what I did and meant.

A 'net search shows self-promotion spam. But, there is a link that may have some value, if only for the start of the research.
http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Mitchell_Gibson.html

What is vitals.com? Well, according to http://www.killerstartups.com/Search/vi ... bad-doctor it's a "
Vitals.com is a recently launched site that aims to work as the centralized source of information on doctor performance, as per rating of its patients, colleagues and by displaying general information on her/his practice and specialties. The idea behind the site is to allow patients to make an informed decision on the person who is going to take care of their health, including information on malpractice and sanctions that might have been taken against him/her."

According to the vitals site his credentials are:
Medical School
University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill
Completed: 1985

Residency
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Psychiatry, Completed: 1989

The American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology certified.

There is already a conflict. This site http://hypnosisforanything.com/dr_mitchell_gibson.htm says he's "Dr. Mitchell E. Gibson is a board-certified forensic psychiatrist, writer, artist, software developer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. Dr. Gibson received his medical degree at the age of 25 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He then completed his residency training at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia. During his last year of residency he served as Chief Resident in Psychiatry and received the Albert Einstein Foundation Research Award for his work in Sleep Disorders. Dr. Gibson is a former Chief of Staff at the East Valley Camelback Hospital in Mesa Arizona. "

The bold emphasis is mone. I'll get into the "software developer" later.

They also say this "Dr. Gibson is a former Chief of Staff at the East Valley Camelback Hospital in Mesa Arizona."

Here is a quick stats on that facility
http://www.hospital-data.com/hospitals/ ... LL239.html

Now, to lie #1.

The The American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology certifies for 10 years. They give you the ability to search for certification holders. Mitchell E. Gibson holds no certifcation with this board.

Now, what does "software developer" mean? It means programming. And, knowing what I'm talking about, it's not an easy skill and takes a great deal of education training and experience to create software. Of course, there are hacks, but that's like me playign football with my friends and then saying "I'm a professional athelete"... it's hogwash.

Let's breakdown the other claims, I want to add they are very L Ron Hubbard esque...

+board-certified forensic psychiatrist
already found out wrong

+writer
all of here are writers, as we write. Anyone can "be a writer" it's no big deal.
his books are all self published

+artist
again, this is something anyone can call themselves... it's a hogwash title

+software developer
I doubt this based on my experience

+public speaker
hell, I'm a public speaker... I've given lectures to rooms of hundreds of people. I don't "count that" in "how cool am I" things.

+spiritual teacher
hell, I'm a spiritual teacher -- all of us HERE on this forum are... is this really a resume builder?

Hello mister BigTim, I see on your resume that you saved your last company millions of dollars and, oh my, wow, you're also an artist and a spiritual teacher... that's impressive...
~

BigTim

"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

User avatar
corymaylett
Regular Poster
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:03 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby corymaylett » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:46 am

lucy wrote:I mean, I know about all these mediums and psychics and how they try to fool people... But as for why I find him interesting, it's his statements about how a Buddhist monk came to his hometown and taught him meditation as a kid, and apparently since then he'd been meditating and seen a light being in his meditations.

When I was a teenager, I took a course in Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation. I actually found it useful in that it taught me how to better focus and temporarily clear my head of bothersome clutter. I don't see anything spiritual or mystical in it — basically, just a good relaxation technique.

lucy wrote:I cannot believe people like these exist, people without a conscience who are willing to exploit the grief of gullible victims in order to earn a few quick bucks. I can totally see people going through a rough patch in their lives maybe related to loss of loved ones/disease/financial trouble fall prey to these kinds of heartless charlatans, and it's quite sad. I wish there was a law against these people.

I suspect that many of these sorts of people actually believe in themselves — at least to some extent, while others are just liars and manipulators.

As for being illegal, most of them carefully stay just within the limits of the law. If you noticed in his one video where the claims were made that listening to his CDs could cure various diseases, it wasn't him making those claims. Instead, it just said that others had said so.

By the way, your English seems very colloquial and conversational given that you're from southern Asia. I would never have guessed that English isn't your native language. As you've noticed, we skeptics sometimes cross the line, slipping into cynicism and suspicion. Maybe it comes with the territory. ;)

User avatar
bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4076
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:04 pm
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker
Location: Miðgarðr

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby bigtim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:14 am

Thylacine wrote:As you've noticed, we skeptics sometimes cross the line, slipping into cynicism and suspicion. Maybe it comes with the territory. ;)


Yep, I'm guilty of that... but, according to my wife, I can be an arsehole ;-)
~

BigTim

"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

User avatar
corymaylett
Regular Poster
Posts: 954
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:03 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby corymaylett » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 am

A cynical, suspicious arsehole, huh? I'm not sure whether to pity or admire your wife for having to put up with a combination like that. :)

User avatar
finallyskeptic
Regular Poster
Posts: 550
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:05 pm
Custom Title: ----Blank----
Location: EARTH

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby finallyskeptic » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:24 am

Gawdzilla wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
fromthehills wrote:I think that was a Russian missile gone awry.

Seems like spam to me, too.

I love it when people start off their relationship with you by lying. "Have you lost my email address" is a viagra spam, etc. So, now that I know you're a liar, should I send my credit info to you? Gee, let me think.

Don't, send it to me instead. But to avoid abuse, use PM. Thank you.

Call me. 202-456-1414

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-202-456-1414
If you like anything please thank the poster.

universallaws+
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby universallaws+ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:05 pm

JO 753 wrote:I like this one: http://www.youtube.com/user/mitchellgibsonmd8000#p/a/B57C4F53AF48211C/1/CLmyFvFqe28

"The Third Name of God
Phonetic: Nagchidash
Primordial: (Ten non-latin symbols probably found somewhere here http://www.omniglot.com/writing/conscripts.htm.") What a crazy coincidence that the primordial word has the same number of letters!


I can recommen you to take a look at www.crimsoncircle.dk to get some information about crimsoncircle.
They are a scam, an unethical dark group.
Stay clear.

Universallaws

universallaws+
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby universallaws+ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi there !

You have your intuition right.
It is a dark unethical group that will only lead you into confusion in the challenging times we are going through right now on this planet.

Take a look at www.crimsoncircle.dk to read my experiences. It took a little time to look through the scam.

Uniwersallaws


xouper wrote:There are a bazillion people just like Gibson who have written books, made youtube videos, and have websites.

Here are just three relatively obscure examples that got their starts in the early 1990s.

Lee Carroll:
http://www.kryon.com/

Steve Rother:
http://www.lightworker.com/

Geoffrey Hoppe
http://www.crimsoncircle.com/

In their early days, I was an active participant on their forums, and eventually got banned from each of them for being a skeptic posting inconvenient truths.

So along comes a new face -- Gibson -- who looks a lot like everyone else in the New Age Community and needs debunking. Been there, done that, and it hasn't slowed any of them down, mostly because there are just too many gullible people who fall for their nonsense. Maybe someone who hasn't already been burned out can take on Gibson.

nightreader
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Re: Doctor claims to possess supernatural powers??!!!!??

Postby nightreader » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:09 pm

What an amazing man who just wants "to help people", and, he doesn´t stop there, he gives you 20% off :D ! How about that karma...


Return to “UFOs, Cryptozoology, and The Paranormal”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests