Article I'd like to see

Discussion of Skeptic magazine and Letters to the Editor
Jjmail

Article I'd like to see

Postby Jjmail » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

I have been a frequent viewer and poster in "The right to die" and similar groups on Facebook.

How does this become of interest to skepticc's.

I'm pretty sure due to the libertarian nature of the group that the right to self determination is a given. How I think the skeptical view will come into play is what effect the religious right has on the issue and how it influences government policies.

According to right to die movement 70% of people are in favor some legislation that allow people that are suffering to choose if, when, and how they die. In reality it's the people with the loudest voices that get heard by government, which in this case is pro-life groups driven led by religion, very similar to the anti-abortion movement.

In the US and other countries around the world there is much debate as to where to draw the line when it comes to who has the right to say if and when they want to die, ie, terminal patients with less than 6mos to live, the terminal who must live their disease for many years, or even long suffering people with mental illness.

I hope that the skeptical society is able to take on some form of this topic. There are many states in the US that are currently examining these issues and despite the large volume of statistics, provided by the state of Oregon, there is still baseless reasoning as to why these laws should not be adopted.

Thank you

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 6K Posts

Re: Article I'd like to see

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:25 am

I think this exact question was posted about 2-3 weeks ago?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “SKEPTIC Magazine: Letters & Discussions”