New "Dragons" Issue of Junior Skeptic on Newsstands Now!

Discussion of Junior Skeptic, part of SKEPTIC Magazine.
Daniel Loxton

New "Dragons" Issue of Junior Skeptic on Newsstands Now!

Postby Daniel Loxton » Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm

The new “dragons” issue of Junior Skeptic is on newsstands now!

Bound into Skeptic Volume 14, Number 1, this issue delves into the lore of the ultimate monster.

Dragon mythology stretches back to our most ancient writings. Almost every culture around the globe has told tales of huge, fearsome reptile monsters. How could different cultures imagine the same kind of monster? Could the many myths of dragons be based on something real?

Find out in the newest Junior Skeptic! (Order this issue.)

mythusmage

Re: New "Dragons" Issue of Junior Skeptic on Newsstands Now!

Postby mythusmage » Sat May 31, 2008 5:37 pm

I look at the front cover of Junior Skeptic in the Vol. 14 No. 1 issue of Skeptic and my first reaction was, "That's a Gray!"

A what?

A little background:

I've been sort of working on a fantasy natural history of dragons; from a world, an alternate Earth, where dragons exist. On that world gray dragons are the species that survived the beginning of the ice ages some 3 million years ago, and from whom all other modern dragons are descended. Dragons such as the Red, the Gold, and the Amethyst. Yes, it based on the D20 SRD, which in turn is derived from the third edition of the Dungeons & Dragons® game.

As a matter of fact, if you know anything about the dragons of D&D you can see traits typical of them. The back-sweeping horns on the JS dragon are also found on the red dragon of D&D.

There is a lot more to be said of how themes, memes, and tropes from D&D, especially artistic ones, have entered the zeitgeist---often without our noticing them, but that will have to wait.

And then you have the wyverns...
The value of any categorical statement is in direct proportion to the ignorance of the speaker.

Return to “Junior Skeptic”