Gate Keepers

Discussion of Junior Skeptic, part of SKEPTIC Magazine.
JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Gate Keepers

Postby JO 753 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 am

Befor Krismas last year I gave 50 Nooalf Super Mini Charts to the public skool in my town as a gift for the kindergartenerz.

In January I gave a full box, about 120, to the Catholic skool and the same to a private skool.

The charts did not get to the kidz in the public skool.

I learnd this when I went back to give them a full box and the woman I spoke with refuzed them, saying they are 'not appropriate'. Seemz the teacherz got the wunz I left befor. No word on what they did with them. I didnt argue, kuz in a way, shez rite - public skoolz are about training dronez, so sumthing that givez them the abilitry to think about a subject rather than memorize it iz counterproductiv.

A breach of etiquette, in my opinion, to not pass a Krismis gift on to the intended recipients. But, since I have come to expect less-than-Emily Post level manrz in Wauconda Illinois, I was not suprized. Plus, being a public school, they probably have a Mount Everest high pile of bureaucracy dictating what they can teach.

The private school, Da Vinci Waldorf, did even worse! In spite of accepting the gift and appearing to understand who and what it was for, they tossed it in the garbage!

Their website haz alot about rezults oriented learning, progressive attitudez, etc., but their only excuse wuz that they have their own curriculum and they didnt know I woud want them back. Seriously bad mannerz again, but that someone woud not be embarrassed to offer up such a lame excuse bugz me. Like they coudnt spare a 6 x 4 inch space in a drawer or a minit to make a fone call.

That Leonardo haznt haunted that place for uzing hiz name iz strong evidence agenst gosts.

Last week I called the Catholic skool to find out what happened to the box I gave them. Left several messagez with someone who may know. Big suprize, no reply yet. You can guess what probably happened.

Really wuts going on is that they see this as a threat to English. No actual consideration is done, its just a knee jerk reaction. Anything that looks like it might challenj the status quo iz a threat that must be blokt.

I am well aware that Nooalf duznt seem uv much use to people who can alredy read. So providing it to preliterate children and foreignerz trying to learn English is the way to go.

Getting past the gate keeperz is the challenge.

The internet can help, at least for the ESL people, but the same gate keeper mentality can keep kidz from seeing anything about it, even if I had a good audio - visual presentation (like a Youtube class).

Any ideaz?
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Gate Keepers

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Props to the school for not being stupid.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Props to the school for not being stupid.

Agreed.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Sorry, but you guyz are sement hedz.

You scoff at relijus & superstitious idiots, yet here you are doing the same thing they do - rejecting lojik in favor uv bleeving wut wuz put into your hedz befor you coud think.

And you are effectively wors than they are! Relijun & superstition are not essential parts uv anybodyz life. Literacy iz. Riting iz wun uv the foundation blocks uv sivilization! You are supporting an orthografy that trainz kidz to accept nonsens without questioning it. Unlike relijun & superstition, they must learn to read & rite.

But, I'm not mad at you. You cant help it. You were thuroly indoctrinated by the elementary educational system, so its probably impossible for you to break away frum your authority based thinking. If you were raized in a relijun, the only reazon you were able to get away frum it wuz kuz you replased wun authority with another.

But! If you did that wuns, maybe you can do it agen! :D

Gawdzilla, I dont know how many timez I'v revealed flawz in your lojik. Monster, youv also lost to me a few timez. (both uv you - in addition to this subject) So, sins my lojik iz obviously superiorr to yourz, I am your new authority figure!

Await instructionz.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:59 pm

JO 753 wrote:bleeving

Really? That's the way you pronounce "believing"?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 pm

Gord wrote:
JO 753 wrote:bleeving

Really? That's the way you pronounce "believing"?

He constantly proves that Nooalf is BS. Phonetic spelling is consistent, but he has to stop and think up new ways to misspell words on the delusional beleeve that it will make him credible. Never works.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 am

No, Gord. 'bleever' iz wut us skeptics mockingly call peeps who want to believe woo stuff. So 'bleev' iz the root version uv that. Plus, thats not nooalf spelling.

Gawdzilla! 1st assinement: Go to a big corporate farm in Iowa, get in a combine with a reallly wide harvester and carv NOOALF.COM in at least 1000 foot hi letterz in a wide open field. I want it to be vizable from the passenjer jets crossing the continent.

Monster: Same thing except spray gasoline in the letterz also and lite it up at midnite.

AKALuke
Poster
Custom Title: just another internet dog

Postby AKALuke » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:48 am

JO 753 wrote:No, Gord. 'bleever' iz wut us skeptics mockingly call peeps who want to believe woo stuff. So 'bleev' iz the root version uv that. Plus, thats not nooalf spelling.

So you just made it up??

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 am

AKALuke wrote:
JO 753 wrote:No, Gord. 'bleever' iz wut us skeptics mockingly call peeps who want to believe woo stuff. So 'bleev' iz the root version uv that. Plus, thats not nooalf spelling.

So you just made it up??

As usual.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm

I didnt make up 'bleever'. Martin Richer 2006

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:42 pm

JO, I suspect that the schools rejected Nooalf because of the outdated learning method that you submitted. It seems to me that some sort of electronic learning technique might be more appropriate. I haven’t kept up with current teaching methods but I presume that a static induced electric shock is involved and could also account for the latest hair styles.
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Therez an idea! Deliver a shock to the cranium with every word sample! It can be an iPad app!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Odd thing happened yesterday & today.

I recently started trying to sell stuff on ebay. It was a little bit of a hassle setting up the account, but listing thingz iz reazonably simple.

Yesterday I tried to list a Nooalf Super Mini Chart 100 pak and it got stuck at step 2 - "you need to include at least 1 picture" wuz the red flag. But I'd put a link to a picture! So I called support and they coudnt figure it out either.

Today I listed a different item just to see if it woud work and it did. No problem at all. Then I tryd to post the SMC agen and it still came up with the picture thing! Aside frum the spesific detailz uv the listingz, the 2 listingz are the same.

This got me thinking hacker - gate keeperz were blocking it sumhow.

Finally got it online by swiching to a different computer az segjested by the girl at ebay support.

Doubting Thomas
Poster

Postby Doubting Thomas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:24 am

JO 753 wrote:Odd thing happened yesterday & today.

I recently started trying to sell stuff on ebay. It was a little bit of a hassle setting up the account, but listing thingz iz reazonably simple.

Yesterday I tried to list a Nooalf Super Mini Chart 100 pak and it got stuck at step 2 - "you need to include at least 1 picture" wuz the red flag. But I'd put a link to a picture! So I called support and they coudnt figure it out either.

Today I listed a different item just to see if it woud work and it did. No problem at all. Then I tryd to post the SMC agen and it still came up with the picture thing! Aside frum the spesific detailz uv the listingz, the 2 listingz are the same.

This got me thinking hacker - gate keeperz were blocking it sumhow.

Finally got it online by swiching to a different computer az segjested by the girl at ebay support.

I found the listing on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phonics-Charts- ... 3a8c32f155
Will you be able to provide a computerized version with a spel cheker?
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. – William Shakespeare

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 am

Teeheehee! Nooalf spel checker!

Well, it coud kinda make sens if sumwun didnt know the proper pronunciation uv a word.

If I were a computer geek, I'd hav all sorts uv kool apps for this - text to speech, speech to text, tranzlatorz, tutoring gamez. Sorry, but all I'v been able to create so far are the fonts and the talking pictures. I'v tried to enlist the help uv programmerz, but they alwayz find a way to escape frum the dunjun.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 am

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35 pm

5ynched?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Daedalus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:06 am

Maybe therez hope: Teacherz need to think

David Ruenzel wrote:
This represents a huge shift for teachers because, in the United States, the public has often perceived teachers—and the education schools that have prepared them—not as thinkers, but as taskmasters who force-feed "content" to students who have to be kept in line. The goal has long been coverage—to go at supersonic speed over everything from the Roman Empire to thermodynamics—without ever having to stop to explore anything in depth. In short, teachers have often been asked to focus on the lowest rung on the Bloom's taxonomy pyramid: remembering.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:53 am

Turnz out that Da Vinci Waldorf iz part uv a franchize - Waldorf

On the suppozition that the hed honcho uv any sizable organization must hav greater than normal levelz uv forsite, lojik and imajination, I sent their "leader of administration" an email.

Dear Mr. Owen-Cruise,

As you are probably aware, the English language is taking over the world. Teaching it as a second language is a global multibillion dollar business, it is the official language of aviation and science, other major languages are loosing population and it can be found in virtually every place inhabited by humans.

It has also diversified in an unprecidented manner - many dialects, yet everybody who speaks any one of them, no matter how far off it is from British or American, can understand these 2 major dialects. Many scholars are calling this Global English, or Globish.

What you are also aware of is that English does not have a spelling system. What we have is instead merely a collection. This makes it difficult and expensive to teach.

The obvious idea of changing to a properly organized orthography has been around for centuries, but never got anywhere. The major obstacle is entirely the perception of literate adults, but it rooted in an almost religious sense of identity.

A way to avoid this is to introduce a spelling system that goes beyond English; one that works for any phonetic based language, yet is not totally unfamiliar to those who are already literate.

This is what I have developed. Nooalf is an English- based international spelling system. Since English, or Globish if you prefer, is taking over the world, it makes sense to accomidate it rather than trying to force some 'unbiased' system on everybody. Thus Nooalf uses most of the regular alphabet plus some new letters that look familiar to cover all the sounds of English. It works so well that people who have never seen it before can read it, and with very little effort write it.

Literate adults feel no need to learn a new way to spell, but children need to be able to learn to read and write as quickly as possible. Offering them a system that works for many languages as well as English that can be mastered in a fraction of the time it takes to learn ordinary English is something all educators should be interested in. Unfortunately, the intellectual environment in education, especially at the administrative level, has become highly tradition bound, tending toward fear based decision making. No surprise since getting into a leadership position is entirely a matter of credentials rather than logic and foresight.

I have contacted you because I have the impression that your schools have a much more progressive attitude than normally found in public, religious and other private elementary schools. From what I have read on your website, I think you will be interested in having a look at the latest Nooalf product, the Super Mini Chart.

Please reply to this email. If you are interested, I can send a small sample quantity

Sent it Monday. No reply. Maybe its the rong guy, so I'll try sum uv the other contacts listed.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:05 pm

Good Thomas Paine quote:

To argue with a man who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Got the 100 pak back frum the Catholic skool yesterday! A suprize considering that the suppozedly 'progressiv' private skool tossed them in the garbaj.

They are starting to sell on Ebay. I shipped 20 total this week!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Got the 2nd Gate Krasherz page up today: SQPR JO!

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat May 17, 2014 9:18 am

Got the 3rd gate crasher paje up this morning: http://www.nooalf.com/GKCoR.htm hover your mouse over the paje to see hidden text.

I'm making them az 20 x 30 posterz and condensing the webpajez frum the elements uv the posterz.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:24 pm

All the GAT KRAsR pajez are online now. The section starts with the Gate Keeperz point uv view with 4 alarmingly outlandish figurez standing outside the gate to their skool with a statement frum us all below it. You can click on any uv them, but if you want to see them in order, start with CoR GWo on the rite. They are all on each paje so you dont need to click back. Next iz SiMaN, the alein, then ANJeLENU, then SQPRJO.

http://www.nooalf.com/GATKEPRZ.html

All the pajez hav a mouseover effect to show text. CoRz paje haz the most - everybody haz sumthing to say.

I know it mite look like I'm going off the deep end with imajinary karaktrz, kinda like Bad Ronald and hiz Atranta fantasy, but its actually like sifi with a purpose. Insted uv riting a book, its a website.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Are those breasts, or is someone shoplifting two 50 lb bags of rice?!

JO 753 wrote:I know it mite look like I'm going off the deep end with imajinary karaktrz

Not yoooou!
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:53 am

I laf.

And you will too.

But also, my lip curlz in disgust and so will yourz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JJTmn8tJVY

She iz a base level programmer, installing the firmware that will make the next jeneration into the sheepl needed by the relijus and political Powerz That Be to maintain their control over society.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:32 pm

She said "fishes" but the book says "fish". She can't read no good!
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 am

Gord wrote:She said "fishes" but the book says "fish". She can't read no good!

Maybe she blinked - and saw two. ;)

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:40 am

Look at the little Quaker girl in the book. The look on her fase iz "this iz stoopid! I hate reading!"

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:46 am

JO 753 wrote:Look at the little Quaker girl in the book. The look on her fase iz "this iz stoopid! I hate reading!"

that might be by design.

I mean, teaching girls to read .... where will it end? They might develop their own ideas!
"As private parts to the gods are we! They play with us for their sport. "
- Lord Melchett, Blackadder II

Return to “Junior Skeptic”