carbon monoxide slow poisoning

A skeptical look at medical practices
psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

carbon monoxide slow poisoning

Post by psychiatry is a scam » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:21 pm

I have mentioned this before in other threads - should have its own thread ; should have much more.

the BUZZ TUBE - KATHI WILSON - SHELBYVILLE INDIANA -

slowly poisoned just enough for --- her --- doctor to make a killing$$$ off her suffering .

how often do people say ? --- you need to get out of the house ---

this could be true literally - THE AIR IS PROBABLY BAD

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Re: carbon monoxide slow poisoning

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:05 pm

If you're going to start a thread on a subject, you might want to provide a link to a story or explain what you're talking about. I'm guessing this is the story you're referencing.
The Buzz Tube wrote:
Kathi Wilson was a regular 41-year-old from Shelbyville, Indiana. She worked hard to support her family. She wasn’t a CrossFit champion, but she lived a regularly active lift. Ten years ago, she unexpectedly fell ill. She convinced herself that she was just run down from stress and work. But her daughter was worried. And she was right to be.

Kathi took over-the-counter medicines and a mixture of vitamins to try and shake the illness. Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin E, Zinc, Iron—nothing seemed to help. After a few weeks, Ashely, her daughter, dragged her to see a doctor. But the doctor just told her what she already knew. She was given a note to take a few days off work to recuperate. But Kathi’s illness was persistent.

Kathi continued to deteriorate. She was pale. She had random bouts of exhaustion. Her appetite vanished. Ashley was worried. Weeks after her first visit, she was forced to return to the doctor. They were surprised. Strong, young women with a healthy immune system like Kathi should have overcome the flu weeks ago. Now, they were concerned. ...
First of all, this is a terribly written article. It's full of sentence fragments and non sequiturs.
It says things like "the doctor just told her what she already knew" but doesn't say what that was. It says "should have overcome the flu weeks ago" but never says she was diagnosed with the flu. It says "as time went on, more and more people began to lose faith in her." What? Why would people lose faith in her because she's fatigued? What does that even mean?
I don't know what you're getting at when you say "lowly poisoned just enough for --- her --- doctor to make a killing$$$ off her suffering ." Are you implying that her doctor wasn't treating her so that he could make money?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:11 pm

FYI, he's a much better article from her local NBC affiliate news:
WTHR wrote:
It all started 10 years ago when Kathi developed extreme fatigue. It just got worse from there.

"I would get dizzy, lightheaded, bronchitis, pneumonia," said Kathi.

"I lost the ability to use my left leg. Then it started moving to my right leg. I would get nervous twitches. I got to the point I couldn't concentrate anymore," she said.

Doctors tested Kathi for everything. She has a stack of medical bills to prove it.

She underwent blood tests, heart tests, cat scans, spinal taps, EKG’s and MRI’s.

"They kept testing and testing and testing and everything kept saying ‘No, no, no, no, you're fine,'" said Kathi.

She said most days, she could hardly get out of bed.

"The more I stayed home, the more I slept, the more I got sick," she said.

Even when her husband and daughter developed chronic bronchitis and bouts of pneumonia, Kathi never thought it could all be connected.

That is, not until three contractors, who Kathi calls her saving graces, started renovating her bathroom last month.

"They were being poisoned," said Brothers Contracting's Mike Evans.

The contractors, Evans and Luze Duran, along with Doug Tucker from BeSpoke Construction, found Kathi's house full of carbon monoxide from an improperly vented furnace and two gas leaks in the hot water heater.

The Wilsons weren't naïve about the dangers of carbon monoxide. They had a dual carbon monoxide-smoke detector on the ceiling. They found out the hard way that it wasn't the best location for it.

"On the ceiling, that's the wrong spot to put it," said Evans. "Carbon monoxide is heavier than air. It would go closer to the floor."

Evans said that's where carbon monoxide settles, and why Wilson's alarm never sounded.

The Wilsons had no idea being in their home was slowly killing them.

Blood tests finally proved that Kathi had carbon monoxide in her blood, even days after staying out of the house.

Kathi's doctor told Eyewitness News Kathi’s many health issues were because she’d slowly been poisoned by carbon monoxide.
It describes when she started getting sick, what her symptoms were, some of the tests that were done, the cause of her symptoms, and suggests what others can do to avoid them.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I moved into a house a few years ago, and I found myself very tired, and difficult to get up in the morning to go to work. This continued until one day, I unpacked my carbon monoxide monitor, plugged it in and it started going off, and registering much higher levels than normal. I got the furnace repaired, and it had been cracked, likely for years before I moved in. That solved the problem.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I have long been against the use of burning stuff to warm homes. This is another reason to back my case. The solution is to use a modern heat pump. Clean, potent and relatively inexpensive. Also lots of good insulation. Why add to global warming, and poison yourself ?

In Sweden, where it gets so cold in winter that there is almost no heat to pump into the house, they use water. A pond is dug, filled with water and buried. The outer part of the heat pump is under the water. Over summer, the pond gets very warm. Over winter, that warmth is pumped into the house.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 pm
I have long been against the use of burning stuff to warm homes. This is another reason to back my case. The solution is to use a modern heat pump. Clean, potent and relatively inexpensive. Also lots of good insulation. Why add to global warming, and poison yourself ?

In Sweden, where it gets so cold in winter that there is almost no heat to pump into the house, they use water. A pond is dug, filled with water and buried. The outer part of the heat pump is under the water. Over summer, the pond gets very warm. Over winter, that warmth is pumped into the house.
What about the fuel that's burned to produce the electricity for those things?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 pm

That is a separate issue, landrew. Mind you, I have presented a case on this forum for nuclear power, which does not generate greenhouse gases. But also, importantly, the harmful gases produced by a power station burning fossil fuels (which I disapprove of) are not poisoning your home.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 pm
That is a separate issue, landrew. Mind you, I have presented a case on this forum for nuclear power, which does not generate greenhouse gases. But also, importantly, the harmful gases produced by a power station burning fossil fuels (which I disapprove of) are not poisoning your home.
At present, electrical generation is problematic in every form:
* You may like nuclear power, but many want it banned for safety reasons.
* Hydro power destroys ecosystems, and the reservoirs fill with silt.
* Gas and coal powered generation need no explanation.
* Solar is expensive and variable; wind is less so, but the equipment has a shorter service life.

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:13 am

Landrew

Civilisation depends on electricity, so you have to choose methods of generating it.
Of the ones you mentioned, nuclear is the safest.

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:13 am
Landrew

Civilisation depends on electricity, so you have to choose methods of generating it.
Of the ones you mentioned, nuclear is the safest.
One word: Fukushima.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Austin Harper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 am

Lance has just recently talked about how even with the damage to the Fukushima plant and the ensuing problems, it's still safer than other forms of electricity.
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... =Fukushima

landrew
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by landrew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:35 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 am
Lance has just recently talked about how even with the damage to the Fukushima plant and the ensuing problems, it's still safer than other forms of electricity.
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... =Fukushima
As I said before, he may be okie-dokie with nuclear power for umteen reasons, but millions disagree.
I may even agree with him, but that's not the point.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:57 am

https://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm
...The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. CO symptoms are often described as “flu-like.”...
https://www.verywellhealth.com/carbon-m ... is-4161054
Diagnosing carbon monoxide poisoning is harder than it sounds. In theory, carbon monoxide exposure leads to high levels of carbon monoxide in the bloodstream, and that's the diagnosis. The reality is that carbon monoxide exposure is both concentration (how much carbon monoxide is in the air) and time (how long the patient was breathing it), which means that diagnosing carbon monoxide poisoning is a combination of recognizing signs and symptoms as well as measuring the amount of CO in the bloodstream....

...Acute carbon monoxide poisoning that comes from high concentrations of carbon monoxide in relatively short periods of exposure is not the only effect of carbon monoxide exposure. Chronic (long-term) carbon monoxide exposure at much lower concentrations can also cause tissue damage, especially to the heart and brain.

Even though the levels of carboxyhemoglobin in chronic exposure patients might be lower than in acute patients, there are other ways to identify damage. The most common is to look at the tissues through medical imaging. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the best way to examine the brain for potential injury from carbon monoxide poisoning....

...Due to the vagueness of most signs and symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning—nausea, vomiting, headache, fatigue, chest pain—other diagnoses are regularly suspected. A high concentration of carbon monoxide at a patient's home will suggest the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning, but other causes still have to be ruled out....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28803137
... little is known about aspiration pneumonia in patients with carbon monoxide intoxication, which is the leading cause of poisoning-related death. This study aimed to evaluate the prevalence, clinical impacts, and risk factors for developing aspiration pneumonia in patients with carbon monoxide poisoning with loss of consciousness....

...The prevalence of aspiration pneumonia was 19.2% in carbon monoxide poisoning patients with loss of consciousness and was associated with poor outcomes. Additionally, altered mental status on emergency department arrival, white blood cell count, and increased exposure duration were independently associated with the development of aspiration pneumonia....
Too much information? Let me simplify it a bit:

- Chronic carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms of other illnesses.

- Blood tests for carbon monoxide poisoning in patients suffering from low doses over long periods of time can show low levels.

- If they suspect low-level carbon monoxide poisoning, they might ask you if you have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home; if you say "yes", they might then look for causes other than carbon monoxide poisoning.

- The connection of pneumonia to carbon dioxide poisoning is not well understood and only affects roughly 20% of people with severe carbon monoxide poisoning. If everyone in your family comes down with pneumonia, it probably wouldn't be considered a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?