"Natural " childbirth not so good.

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

"Natural " childbirth not so good.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Reference, New Scientist, 19 August 2017, page 23

Britain's Royal College of Midwives used to promote that barbaric practice called " natural childbirth ". They have now quietly backed off and promote the use of modern medicine with all its tools. Medical interventions are now being recommended as soon as they are needed. The cause of this back down has been a spate of brain damaged babies and avoidable deaths.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: "Natural " childbirth not so good.

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 pm

I'd say let it follow its natural course. Take your natural birth into a well-equipped hospital and into capable hands, eyes and ears.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:36 am

I could easily have lost my daughter if I'd stubbornly insisted on 'natural' childbirth.

Three weeks before her due date, an ultrasound discovered she was breech, so I experienced a procedure called a "version." Basically, my tummy was coated with mineral oil, and the obstetrician and a nurse got on opposite sides of me and pushed, turning the fetus inside of me. It was like being stabbed with a hundred knives...for two seconds.

And it didn't work. When I went into labor, that ultrasound discovered that not only had she turned back into breech position, she was in a worse position. Not feet first, but butt first. Worst of all, the position of the umbilical cord could not be determined from the ultrasound.

So, after everything except hard labor (the pushing), I opted for a c-section. Good thing, too, since the multiple somersaults ended up wrapping the cord around her neck. (Obviously, she would not have 'choked to death,' since a fetus doesn't breathe in the uterus, but my obstetrician told me it could have constricted blood flow to the brain, and caused brain damage or death.)

She was a big baby: 3.8kg (0.4kg over average) and 57cm in length (6cm over average). And I only weighed 59kg at term. That was 27+ years ago, and I was thankful for 'modern' medicine then!
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:46 am

I hear Trump was an unnatural birth.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:01 am

Hey, you're talking about the guy that stares at the Sun and it goes dark and into hiding...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:14 am

Gord wrote:I hear Trump was an unnatural birth.
It's the family scandal. Apparently, his mom shat him out after a three-day bender and an unsuccessful hangover cure made from grated horseradish, lingonberry jam, absinthe, and paregoric. She nearly flushed him, too, but he was a floater.

I am so not sorry for this post. My secret is out now...I have a horribly twisted sense of humor.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:20 am

What sense of humour ?
Your descriptions sounds about right to me.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:She nearly flushed him, too, but he was a floater.

Plus his head was too large to fit down the pipe.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Healthcare”