Weight and happiness

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Weight and happiness

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:41 pm

https://qz.com/935857/losing-weight-won ... diet-will/

Losing weight does not make you happy, but a more balanced diet will.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Re: Weight and happiness

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Just the opposite on both points.

........................... you've done it again.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 am

Why are you arguing, Bobbo ? Is it just for the sake of an argument. The reference is clear cut and quotes research to support its statement.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:19 am

no need to read the link. Losing weight makes people happy, following balanced diets may or may not.

The only reason I would have to read the link is amusement at the tortured reasoning. Why do that, when we have you?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:36 am

I found one issue with the article: It recommended twice that people stop eating chocolate. Dark chocolate (at least 70%) has proven health benefits in the prevention of both cardiovascular and diabetic issues.
Dark chocolate contains up to 2-3 times more flavanol-rich cocoa solids than milk chocolate. Flavanols have been shown to support the production of nitric oxide (NO) in the endolethium (the inner cell lining of blood vessels) that helps to relax the blood vessels and improve blood flow, thereby lowering blood pressure.

Flavanols in chocolate can increase insulin sensitivity in short term studies; in the long run this could reduce risk of diabetes.

Observational studies support the benefits of cocoa flavanols. The link between blood pressure and high cocoa intake was described in a study of the Kuna Indians, an isolated tribe who live on the Caribbean Coast of Panama. Hypertension was extremely uncommon in this group, even among older ages, and even with a dietary salt intake that is greater than most Western populations. When the Kuna migrated to urban environments and changed their diets, their rates of high blood pressure increased. Notably, their traditional intake of cocoa as a beverage was very high, at more than five cups daily of either home-grown or Columbian cocoa powder rich in flavanols. The urinary levels of flavanols in the island-dwelling Kuna were significantly higher and their rates of death from heart disease, cancer, and diabetes significantly lower than their counterparts living in urban centers.

Personally, I'm happier when my weight fits my height and build; I'm more comfortable physically and feel better about myself. However, I'm also happier when I'm eating healthy food. For me, that means no processed and fast foods. I don't worry about balancing within one day as long as I'm getting a good variety of foods within a 3-4 day period.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:43 am

Nikki

I eat two squares of dark chocolate every day. I also take pains to make sure my overall diet is balanced. I am a bit overweight (BMI of 28) and do not give a damn. I am sure that extreme overweight would make anyone unhappy, but that is not what this reference is about.

Bobbo is a joke. He claims he can argue against a reference without looking at the reference. DUH!!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:52 am

Do I have to read an article that says Unicorns are Real? Or can I disagree with the conclusion based on a lifetime of Unicorns aren't real?

Your link doesn't work for me. Just a blank page. No error message. OK...Nikki read it, so it must be me.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:54 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I eat two squares of dark chocolate every day.
I gave up chocolate when I moved in with Amanda my partner. My family had humble beginning where chocolate was the Friday night treat and it sort of became a "thing" to me that I could eat chocolate every night, so I did.

I stand with you in that a good diet is generally enough.

I can't talk about long term effects on diet and happiness, but my mother always advised to me, based on her instinct, to feed distressed people as people are happier on a full stomach. I think that rule probably has merit.
:D

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:58 am

I could stand to lose 7-9kg, but I have horrible exercise intolerance from the fibromyalgia. Two symptoms heterodyne in a negative way that makes aerobic exercise impossible: lack of oxygen to the muscles and overproduction of lactic acid. If it weren't for that, the 7-9kg would drop off quickly. My BMI is 25, which isn't bad, all things considered.

My daughter and I cook just about everything from scratch, so we ensure that whatever we cook is chock full of veg and/or fruit. Neither of us has much of an appetite, so it's important to add the essentials in wherever we can.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:17 am

No point being concerned, Nikki. A BMI of 25 is fine.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 am

I binge on chocolate....like 1-2 pounds at a time. Mom used to eat 2-3 of those little chocolate chips when the desire moved her. "I got the taste, why eat more?"

both my parents were sadists.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:38 am

I don't eat chocolate every day, but I'll eat around an ounce when I do. I ordered an 11-pound block of beautiful Callebaut 70% Belgian chocolate via Amazon for 72.00USD, free S&H. A bargain at 6.50USD a pound! It makes all the difference in the world for baking, candy, sauces, etc. After 9 months, I'm down to about 3 pounds left.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Surely we should be measuring happiness as happy-days/body mass... large happy people having more happy mass. :roll: :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:06 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:...and sunny beaches all to themselves! :-P

Thankfully, I hovered over your link before clicking on it. I didn't even look, and I still ran for the cheese grater.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

:lol: Nah, I was considerate enough to pick one that makes even a beached whale look like an ant. ;)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:07 am

:blink: I'd still have nightmares. Image

Return to “Healthcare”