Coconut BAD!

A skeptical look at medical practices
User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Doctors are, indeed, fallible. However, they are about 10,000% better than the available alternatives. I began a thread a while back based on a medical article that pointed out that, of 5,000 commonly used medical procedures, only half had been scientifically tested and shown to be effective. Of course, that does not prove that the untested ones did not work. I suspect that most do work, or else simple experience would have caused doctors to discard them. But it is always good to remember the fallibility of medicine.

I agree on both counts. Look at some of the "alternative medicine" practices, if you can manage to without laughing hysterically. Homeopathy? How can anyone buy into the idea that less of the active ingredient will be more effective? By that logic, water is a panacea, since it contains none of the active ingredient.

My mother, in desperation, agreed to see an acupuncturist. She didn't even last through the guy's introduction. Walked out right in the middle of it when he started talking about...wait for it..."getting rid of the seven evil dragons that were plaguing her." My mom had a PhD in Medieval and Ancient History. One of her more fascinating papers was on the belief in sacred numerology. :lol:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Phoenix76 wrote

I'm not knocking doctors per se, but I am very skeptical of a lot of their recommendations. Reason being is that the average GP is so busy he/she doesn't have time to get involved in appropriate studies, so relies heavily on the journals produced by the medical industry.


The GP's should do nothing else but. Its called standard practice......not out on your own crusade. Their major shortcoming: not taking adequate Histories and actually knowing their own limitations before passing on their patients to the identified specialist that is needed.

its all ego.............and greed.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Luna: you'll enjoy this. Had the head of the local chiropractor faction requesting privileges at my Hospital. My Mom was returned to full health after a car accident by a chiropracter after medicine said she would never walk again...so my bias is very pro chiropracter. Our discussion was going along nicely as I told him of my Mom's wonderful recovery. He agreed. Said it was "Sad that some in our profession take on claims they cannot support. I mean........ we can't cure all forms of cancer."

Only years of practice stopped me from laughing in his face.

Ego............. and greed.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:11 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Luna: you'll enjoy this. Had the head of the local chiropractor faction requesting privileges at my Hospital. My Mom was returned to full health after a car accident by a chiropracter after medicine said she would never walk again...so my bias is very pro chiropracter. Our discussion was going along nicely as I told him of my Mom's wonderful recovery. He agreed. Said it was "Sad that some in our profession take on claims they cannot support. I mean........ we can't cure all forms of cancer."

Only years of practice stopped me from laughing in his face.

Ego............. and greed.

:lol:
I'm not against chiropractors...except when they make ridiculous claims. And in the US, most do. There are far more practicing chiropractors than are necessary for medically-based treatment, and chiropractic colleges now have a serious focus on the business model of the practice rather than the medical model of chiropractic medicine.

I visited one a couple years ago to discuss some issues with my spine. He was uninterested in my x-rays, provided a minimum of manipulation and recommended no other actual treatment, but spent quite a bit of time talking about the expensive vitamin system on which he received a kickback, as well as a fad diet. Additionally, he wanted me to begin taking a quite expensive drug marketed as a supplement to avoid the FDA. My research discovered that this so-called miracle drug was nothing more than a molecule extracted from coffee. Had this chiropractor played it straight with me, he might still have a patient. But it's clear he wasn't interested in my health, only my money.

Interestingly, when I sent him a letter detailing why I would not continue seeing him, he decided not to send me a bill, even though I did get the EOB that my insurance denied his claim. (In my letter, I noted that the claim he submitted did not match the service he provided. Scam artist.)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Just what "for profit" anything does. Corrupt, through and through.

Stay healthy (as you can be!)
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
salomed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby salomed » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/health-40300145

Coconut oil is saturated fats, and is as unhealthy as lard or butter.. The idea that coconut oil is good for you is simply wrong!


I think you are wrong. If you are obese and trying to lose weight, sure, if you are healthy and get a lot of calories from coconut oil, like I have for years, I disagree.
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9876
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Phoenix76 wrote:I'm amazed. I keep asking if anyone can point me to studies that show causation in relation to saturated fats. I'm disappointed. Lance, Luna and even Scrambled Eggs, you all come up with nice sounding rhetoric, but nobody, it seems, can direct me to studies that offer proof regarding all these nasty statements about saturated fats.

One of my arguments is that we cannot live without saturated fats. Anymore than we can live without cholesterol. That being so, where are the arguments that discredit saturated fats and cholesterol?


Saturated fats and cholesterol in moderation are fine.
But every time I check with the web sites of reputable medical organisations, like the Mayo Clinic, and others, they are continuing to suggest saturated fats should not be consumed in excess. If and when evidence arises to suggest that large intakes of saturated fats are OK, their web sites will change. Till then, it is best to consume them only in moderation.

The original study on saturated fats was a long time ago, carried out by Harvard researchers. They were sponsored by the sugar industry, and that study has been criticised for that fact. But they were not looking at sugar and missed the link between sugar and heart disease. But they did show a link between saturated fats in excess and heart disease. To the best of my knowledge, this study is still valid.

On wine.
There have been numerous studies and varying results. The most logical conclusion to be drawn so far is that alcohol is a poison , and is not helpful health wise. But at the same time, like all poisons, it is not harmful if the dose is low enough. So a couple of glasses per day of what you enjoy is probably OK (except for a woman who might get pregnant).

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Gord » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 am

LunaNik wrote:I'm not against chiropractors...except when they make ridiculous claims. And in the US, most do. There are far more practicing chiropractors than are necessary for medically-based treatment, and chiropractic colleges now have a serious focus on the business model of the practice rather than the medical model of chiropractic medicine.

I visited one a couple years ago to discuss some issues with my spine. He was uninterested in my x-rays, provided a minimum of manipulation and recommended no other actual treatment, but spent quite a bit of time talking about the expensive vitamin system on which he received a kickback, as well as a fad diet. Additionally, he wanted me to begin taking a quite expensive drug marketed as a supplement to avoid the FDA. My research discovered that this so-called miracle drug was nothing more than a molecule extracted from coffee. Had this chiropractor played it straight with me, he might still have a patient. But it's clear he wasn't interested in my health, only my money.

Interestingly, when I sent him a letter detailing why I would not continue seeing him, he decided not to send me a bill, even though I did get the EOB that my insurance denied his claim. (In my letter, I noted that the claim he submitted did not match the service he provided. Scam artist.)

My niece is a massage therapist, which I had investigated a while ago and concluded was more science-based than chiropractic. But lately she's been talking about cupping and naturopathy and coconut oil, and I've lost all respect for massage therapy now. It sounds like someone has convinced her she has a problem with her thyroid that doctors can't find, so she's trying to "treat" her imagined illness with coconut oil, and claiming that only a naturopath can detect her "illness".

I wish people would stick with the science stuff and stop diverging into the nonsense....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:On wine.
There have been numerous studies and varying results. The most logical conclusion to be drawn so far is that alcohol is a poison , and is not helpful health wise. But at the same time, like all poisons, it is not harmful if the dose is low enough. So a couple of glasses per day of what you enjoy is probably OK (except for a woman who might get pregnant).

Again, there are studies saying moderate drinking while pregnant has no effect, even occasional binge drinking. And then there are those all doom and gloom. And another says the really only important point is about 3-4 weeks, where any amount of alcohol seemed to have significantly noticeable detrimental effect, but none discernible at any other time in gestation.

Not that I ever have to worry about that.

Also, Gord, coconut oil is great for massage.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

Here's a study on the dangers of drinking during pregnancy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKaeeLyJT4

And I sometimes put a bit of coconut oil in my black coffee - pretty nice when hot.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm

This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 pm

Gord wrote:My niece is a massage therapist, which I had investigated a while ago and concluded was more science-based than chiropractic. But lately she's been talking about cupping and naturopathy and coconut oil, and I've lost all respect for massage therapy now. It sounds like someone has convinced her she has a problem with her thyroid that doctors can't find, so she's trying to "treat" her imagined illness with coconut oil, and claiming that only a naturopath can detect her "illness".

I wish people would stick with the science stuff and stop diverging into the nonsense....

Well, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Massage therapy has excellent therapeutic advantages that are science-based. The trick is finding a massage therapist that isn't a raving New Age nutter. Usually, you can tell by their advertisements. I tend to stick with those who also have a medical background.

What is it with people buying into the latest "miracle food" or fad diet? Everyone wants a magic bullet, but they're chasing rainbows.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Saturated fats and cholesterol in moderation are fine.

I think the general takeaway is that any food in moderation is probably fine, but any food in excess can be a problem. Even drinking too much water can kill you via hyponatremia, the dilution of electrolytes in your body.

Homeostasis in the body is a fascinating topic. I've always wondered whether food cravings are the result of the body requiring some trace nutrient that it lacks. (Obviously, pica would be an example of this mechanism becoming dysfunctional.) I did have cravings for pickles and ice cream when I was pregnant with my daughter...but never simultaneously, thankfully. Perhaps the pickle cravings stemmed from an electrolyte imbalance. I've heard dill pickle juice referred to as "Eastern European Gatorade." :wgrin: )
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 pm

LunaNik wrote: Everyone wants a magic bullet, but they're chasing rainbows.


:roll: Right! They should be chasing magic bullets if they want magic bullets.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote: Everyone wants a magic bullet, but they're chasing rainbows.


:roll: Right! They should be chasing magic bullets if they want magic bullets.

:wgrin: Only if you're Superman. Regular people have to stand in front of a magic gun if they want a magic bullet. :halo:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9876
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:20 pm
Custom Title: Super Skeptic
Location: Paradise, New Zealand

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

To MM

Re alcohol in pregnancy.
It may be true that there is little harm with a few small drinks for a pregnant woman. But.....

Recently an article in ScienceDaily .discussed this point. Researchers found distinct differences in the facial structure of new born babies whose mothers had indulged 'just a little' . Maybe those differences did not represent harm. But maybe they did. It is not responsible to suggest to a pregnant woman that any amount of alcohol is OK. We just do not know.

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:56 am

I'd agree, if unsure just don't do any "it". However, since most damage seems to be thought to occur in early pregnancy when many women don't even know they're pregnant and live their accustomed normal happy hour lives, does that show it's not really all that bad? Or does it show damage happens so often that it is not out of the norm by now? :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I'd agree, if unsure just don't do any "it". However, since most damage seems to be thought to occur in early pregnancy when many women don't even know they're pregnant and live their accustomed normal happy hour lives, does that show it's not really all that bad? Or does it show damage happens so often that it is not out of the norm by now? :-P
Does this answer your question?
Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19638
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 am

:lol: gmta - can't claim the whine cooler crowd wasn't on my mind... :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts
Posts: 6001
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Flash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 am

And returning to the grist of the thread...There have been numerous scientific experiments with coconut; dropping it on someone's head from a high rise, shoving it up an experimenter's ass... All ended badly. Don't do it. Coconut BAD.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:44 am

Coconuts are an acceptable replacement for horses, as everyone knows.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Also, Gord, coconut oil is great for massage.

Sure, if you want to smell like a Piña Colada. My alcoholic neighbour followed me for three blocks, trying to lick my back.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:29 am

Flash wrote:And returning to the grist of the thread....

Speaking of Grist:

http://grist.org/briefly/just-as-john-o ... suing-him/
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm

LunaNik wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote: Everyone wants a magic bullet, but they're chasing rainbows.


:roll: Right! They should be chasing magic bullets if they want magic bullets.

:wgrin: Only if you're Superman. Regular people have to stand in front of a magic gun if they want a magic bullet. :halo:


Oh. I thought you could buy them at a lycanthrope hunting store. :oops:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:45 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
LunaNik wrote: Everyone wants a magic bullet, but they're chasing rainbows.


:roll: Right! They should be chasing magic bullets if they want magic bullets.

:wgrin: Only if you're Superman. Regular people have to stand in front of a magic gun if they want a magic bullet. :halo:


Oh. I thought you could buy them at a lycanthrope hunting store. :oops:

Silver is magical? Who knew? I thought lycanthropes had an anaphylactic reaction. :wgrin:

A couple years ago, my Halloween costume was "Red Riding Hood: Werewolf Hunter."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 am

Well, silver weapons are a +1 against most undead. Except liches. Liches are bitches.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:11 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Well, silver weapons are a +1 against most undead. Except liches. Liches are bitches.


And that, children, is why you need to know the difference between lycanthropy and a phylactery.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:22 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Coconuts are an acceptable replacement for horses, as everyone knows.

How the hell do you saddle a coconut?
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:25 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Well, silver weapons are a +1 against most undead. Except liches. Liches are bitches.

Not in Minecraft. You can't even craft silver weapons; there's no silver to mine.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29100
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Well, silver weapons are a +1 against most undead. Except liches. Liches are bitches.

And that, children, is why you need to know the difference between lycanthropy and a phylactery.

Luckily we have the wisdom of Duckman to lead us:

"Boys, there comes a time when every man must pass on to his sons the knowledge he's accumulated over his lifetime. There is nothing ... NOTHING ... ointment won't cure. Well, that's it; you might want to write it down somewhere." -- Eric Duckman
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am

Maybe Smurf Man was really just afraid of lycanthropes.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:42 am

LunaNik wrote:Not in Minecraft. You can't even craft silver weapons; there's no silver to mine.

Who plays Minecraft?

The graphics in Wolfenstein 3D were better. Mein leben!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
LunaNik wrote:Not in Minecraft. You can't even craft silver weapons; there's no silver to mine.

Who plays Minecraft?

The graphics in Wolfenstein 3D were better. Mein leben!

Well, I do. Mostly in creative mode because I like to build stuff in a world where gravity is optional. :wgrin:

This isn't one of mine, but you get the idea.
Image
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 pm

Well, jadies and lentilmen, we have some definitive studies on saturated fat vis à vis heart attacks and mortality therefrom that are long-term and comprehensive...and directly in contradiction to the recently released recommendations of the American Heart Association.

In June, the AHA doubled down on its long-standing recommendation to replace saturated with unsaturated fats, simultaneously advocating the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). The organization claimed to have "taken into consideration the totality of the scientific evidence" and "satisfied rigorous criteria for causality." There's one problem with this advisory: The science not only doesn't support it; it directly contradicts it.

The rational conclusion is that the AHA's advisory was driven by its longstanding bias, commercial interests, and a narcissistic need to reaffirm decades of its own advice. Two large double-blind studies—the Minnesota Coronary Survey and the Framingham Heart Study—failed to establish causality between saturated fats in the diet and cardiovascular events, cardiovascular deaths, or mortality in general. The AHA simply ignored these studies; both remained unpublished.

Beginning in 2010, independent reviewers from around the world unearthed and reviewed these studies. In nine separate reviews, no evidence was found to support the AHA's dietary guidelines.

The AHA maintains it excluded the Minnesota Coronary Survey because some of its subjects were involved for fewer than two years. However, this constitutes cherry-picking, since the AHA's recent advisory still recommends the DASH diet based on studies that lasted only five months.

It should also be noted that the AHA relies on certain industries for its funding, including Proctor & Gamble (maker of Crisco), which basically launched the AHA with $17M in funding.

Read the article on Medscape.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:12 am

Excellent post Nikki. Now, let's see.......can I overcome my long standing bias and life style choices of the past 30 years?

aka: what do you think? Should I feel free now to deep fat fry with peanut oil instead of Olive Oil?...........recognizing that fat is fat and calories are calories (still the majority view?)...just going with the negating of DASH and Mediterranean Diet. Thats been rumored for some time now. The French Miracle and the Mediterranean Diet being misperceived regarding fat content and what makes both better is the smaller portions and less processing?...........i think so.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:16 am

As usually, such claims are based on three things:

1.) Ignorance
2.) Stupidity
and
3.) Nothing Else
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Seriously, basically all health recommendation are meaningless (except for moderation when drinking bleach) because they are one-dimensional variables in a complex interplay of factors determining costs and benefits.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 am

EM===what "such claims?"

Seems to me Nikki's link is "based on" several long term longitudinal studies: aka, the very best evidence available? While I should look again......I doubt they were one dimensional studies. and even if they were: significant results would nonetheless highlight the importance of a single variable.....regardless of the unknowns that are always with us: IE: doing the best with what we know.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3073
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby ElectricMonk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:EM===what "such claims?"


The claim that coconuts are bad.

Such one-dimensional statements are almost always meaningless.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10209
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Coconut BAD!

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:51 am

You went all the way back to the start?

well...............you obviously have never had too many Daiquiris on the beach. Downright......dangerous. Very bad.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “Healthcare”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest