Cannabis cures Crack cocaine??

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Cannabis cures Crack cocaine??

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Reference : New Scientist, 3 June 2017, page 12

Michael-john Milloy and his research team from the University of British Columbia carried out a survey of people wanting to quit crack. Those who used cannabis as an aid to this had an 89% higher success rate. This was not a terribly rigorous study, and the conclusion remains uncertain. But it is a real possibility. Cannabis contains a chemical called cannabidiol which has been shown in other studies to interfere with the reward pathways of the brain. Perhaps a cannabidiol pill could be made to aid in quitting the addiction?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Re: Cannabis cures Crack cocaine??

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:24 pm

With all due respect, you've jumped from...
Lance Kennedy wrote:Those who used cannabis as an aid to this had an 89% higher success rate.

...via the random inclusion of...
Lance Kennedy wrote:Cannabis contains a chemical called cannabidiol which has been shown in other studies to interfere with the reward pathways of the brain.

...to conclude...
Lance Kennedy wrote:Perhaps a cannabidiol pill could be made to aid in quitting the addiction?

The study you began with did not include a group that used only cannabidiol; the group used "cannabis," which may well have been the reason for the 89% success rate.

Since the group used the whole flower, the entourage effect must be considered. That would include not only the dozens of cannabinoids present, but also any of 200 possible terpenes. Limonene, for example, has been proven to be an anxiolytic, increasing both seratonin in the prefrontal cortex and dopamine in the hippocampus. Myrcene is a sedative and muscle relaxant. Caryophyllene is an anti-inflammatory analgesic.

Don't underestimate THC because of "reefer madness" propaganda. It's an analgesic, muscle relaxant, and antispasmodic. It's also a neuroprotective antioxidant and has twenty times the anti-inflammatory power of aspirin. When properly balanced by CBD, adverse effects like tachycardia, sedation, and anxiety are greatly reduced, if not eliminated. Even the psychoactive effects are mitigated. Cannabis is legal where I live, and one medication I use for chronic pain is a tincture comprised of a 1:1 ratio of THC to CBD extracted into coconut oil. It produces no "high," because of the ratio, but it does relieve pain and relax muscles.

Lastly, why would you want to hand over to Big Pharma a medication that is already perfectly balanced in its natural state, or can be crossbred to serve any number of medicinal purposes? Cannabis crossbreeding is fairly state-of-the-art, currently. My dispensary offers a strain that is comprised of 12% CBD and only 6% THC, but also a strain that is 21% THC and only 2% CBD. They serve different purposes for different ailments. The invasive, overly controlling, overcharging services of Big Pharma are not required, thank you very much.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Luna Nik

I make no claims of personal expertise here. The reason I included cannabidiol in my post is because the article I read suggested it might have a role to play. The research done is way too early to draw any such conclusions, of course, and that might be quite wrong. But I did present it as a possibility, not a reality.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:26 am

Oh, it absolutely does have a role to play. My only point is that it's not a one-man show. :wgrin:
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Most cocaine/crack users are binge users - they binge for a while, take it easy for a while, binge for a while . . . offer them free pot to stop the coke, most will - until they decide on another binge.

Any such study would need to be longitudinal to have any utility.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I agree, Oleg. Not that this study isn't useful, but in the sense of "it worked once." Whether it stops them from backsliding is another story.

Return to “Healthcare”