Potatoes

A skeptical look at medical practices
Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Potatoes

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:09 am

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health ... e4b970ef15

An overweight Australian man decided to spend 2016 eating nothing but potatoes. He ate 3 kilograms each day, and they had nothing added. Just baked potatoes. No fat, oil etc added.

The end result is a loss of 50 kilograms in weight and improvements in fitness, and medical measurements. The end result looks to be a major improvement all around.

I note that five medium potatoes contain the daily allowance of vitamin C, which would be the most important of all vitamins etc needed. So this guy probably got most of the extra nutrients he needed from his 3 kg per day potatoes. The article suggests that vitamin B12 would be seriously deficient, and I am sure that is right.

I am not suggesting that we should all go on this extreme diet. But it seems to me to spit in the eye of the adage that potatoes are bad for you. This is not the only case I am aware of. Many years ago, a study was carried out on overweight people, in which they were randomely split into two groups, one of which was required to add one pound (obviously American) of potatoes to their diet every day. Other than that, they were told to eat their normal food. The group that added a pound of potatoes all lost weight and ended up healthier. The other group pretty much all gained weight.

As I see it, the suggestion that potatoes are bad for you stems from laboratory studies that show a high glycemic index. They do not come from empirical studies of what potatoes actually do to the people who eat them. As such, I would give those studies, and the advice coming from those studies a very low credibility. My feeling, based on the real world experience of several studies, is that adding potatoes to your diet (as long as they are not potatoes cooked with fat or oil) will be slimming and healthy.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Potatoes

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:17 am

I've been eating potatoes with and without everything that makes them even tastier than they already are and in any shape or form they can take my entire life and I hardly exist anymore...

(I'd like to thank bacon for still keeping me around. :-P)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 am

I'm Mark Watney and I approved this message.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 am

Mr._Potato_Head.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:41 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'm Mark Watney and I approved this message.

Offtopic, but interesting page
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:25 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: But it seems to me to spit in the eye of the adage that potatoes are bad for you.

I have never heard this before.... much less as an adage.

What I have heard is that potatoes are an excellent source of complex carbohydrates and indigestible cellulose all making for a low glycemic excellent food source. Its always been whats added to the potatoes that makes a bad choice.

............... that and that they are pigs food.

((I love them myself, and just got hungry. Think I'll have some french fries ............))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:52 am

bobbo The Pragmatist wrote:
((I love them myself, and just got hungry. Think I'll have some french fries ............))

The Australian guy just baked his potatoes. No french fries. But then I think very few people could stand a diet of 3 kg of baked potatoes every day. So french fries...yeap, I understand. More calories but it's good.

I'll have a poutine; gravy, cheese bits, bacon, and of course potatoes. It must be well over thousand calories on a plate all together. Now, that's the way to diet isn't it?
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:22 am

Out of curiosity, I checked the nutritional make up of potatoes. Normally you would think they would be inadequate, since the amount of various vitamins is low. But this guy was eating 3 to 4 kg per day. Multiplying the vitamin content by that many potatoes, and most of his nutritional needs actually were taken care of. The only major problem is vitamin B12. Potatoes have none. Lack of vitamin B12 leads to anemia, weakness, and possible death. I can only assume that 12 months was not enough time for the worst effects of this lack to kick in.

Potatoes also have no vitamin D, but we get most of that by making it in our skin when exposed to sunlight, and Australia has lots of sunlight. Vitamin A is low in potatoes. I calculated that 3 to 4 kg per day would give him about a third of his recommended daily dose. Fortunately, that is enough to fend off the worst impact of vitamin A deficiency. Potatoes have inadequate protein, until you realise that it is 3 to 4 kg of potatoes.

That led me to wonder how you could modify the potato diet to make it fully healthy. Not difficult at all. If you had two eggs daily (which would give you that B12, plus lots of protein and minerals), boiled or poached, plus a small plate of raw fruit, green and red vegetables, plus heaps of potatoes, it would be a balanced diet.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:06 pm

I get all the vitamins I need by eating an entire zoo every day. (The porcupines can be a little hard to swallow though.)

Tasty!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Careful that little guy doesn`t piss on you.... personally, I`d turn him slightly to the right and extend my arm just a bit. :roll:

I grow my own potatoes - sweets, bake them, and add them to my morning vegetable curry. Yummy...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Gord wrote:I get all the vitamins I need by eating an entire zoo every day. (The porcupines can be a little hard to swallow though.)

Tasty!

I'd choke too if I had to eat that. :cry:

(And shouldn't that one be joining your dad and his lawnmower?)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 pm

Hedgehog is a common food for various hobos and unfettered wanderers. The method is to roll it in clay, till the spines are covered, and throw the clay plus hedgehog ball into a fire. When the clay bakes hard, the flesh is cooked. When you pull off the baked clay, the spines come off also, leaving a succulent ball of cooked flesh. Yum!

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:31 pm

Dutch Gypsy oven. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Austin Harper
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Is the idea that potatoes are bad for you a regional concept in NZ? I've always considered them to be rather healthy as long as they aren't fried or covered in butter/sour cream/cheese. In fact, I remember talking about them in elementary school as being exceptionally nutritional and that if you could only bring one thing with you to a desert island it should be potatoes.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Austin Harper wrote:Is the idea that potatoes are bad for you a regional concept in NZ?

It is an international concept.
It is based on glycemic index. GI is the speed at which a food, after eating, is converted to blood glucose. The scale is 1 to 100, with pure glucose at 100. Potatoes have a GI of 85, which is quite high. In theory, any food with a high GI is harmful. This is partly due to the idea that too much glucose peaking in the blood, done repeatedly, interferes with insulin metabolism, and leads to both type II diabets and cardiovascular illness. It is also related to the suggestion that a brief and high glucose peak does not stop people getting hungry quite quickly, as that glucose is stored, and the level drops again. Too much hunger leads to obesity.

I am skeptical. There is too much theory and deduction here. My view is that simply deducing that a food is harmful, from some of its properties, is likely to lead you up the proverbial garden path. What is needed is empirical evidence. That is : to show potatoes are harmful, we need cases where it can be shown in the real world that eating too many potatoes leads to genuine harm.

The classic example of deduction leading to bulldust ideas is the old idea that you should not eat too many eggs. This comes from the fact that eggs have a lot of cholesterol. The people involved then DEDUCED that eating lots of eggs would mean lots of blood cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. But there was no empirical evidence to indicate that simply eating cholesterol leads to high blood cholesterol. All that cholesterol consumed could easily be digested and turned into something else. More recently, some smarter researcher have done the empirical work and shown that people who eat lots of eggs do NOT, in fact have high blood cholesterol or cardiovascular disease. Deduction is a poor replacement for proper scientific and empirical studies.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Austin Harper wrote:...if you could only bring one thing with you to a desert island it should be potatoes.

Nonsense. The one thing I would bring is a way back home.... :roll:

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:54 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Austin Harper wrote:...if you could only bring one thing with you to a desert island it should be potatoes.

Yeah, a Firebolt!

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:30 pm

Everything in moderation :-)
Cooking in fat is needed at times as
cooking in oil relieves constipation.
Do not deny your body ~ dominate it. ;-)

I recently found out where potatoes
come from.
https://www.potatogoodness.com/potato-f ... s-history/

Enjoy

@ Austin H ~ it's a California concept ~
too much starch makes you fat.
Or so they say. I can't invest in that
theory though as we have lived on potatoes too.
Mostly fried lol keeps us young ;-)
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Yeah, a Firebolt!

A Starfire Firebolt?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:32 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Yeah, a Firebolt!

A Starfire Firebolt?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:37 pm

:lol:

Reminds me, I recently started visiting a little (magical) general store that seems to feature mostly seconds, or such. Some of the merchandise certainly reminded me of "Berty Bott's Every Flavour Beans" - with some stuff it's obvious, but you often have no idea what you'll really be getting until you open the container. And I like it! :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote::lol:

Reminds me, I recently started visiting a little (magical) general store that seems to feature mostly seconds, or such. Some of the merchandise certainly reminded me of "Berty Bott's Every Flavour Beans" - with some stuff it's obvious, but you often have no idea what you'll really be getting until you open the container. And I like it! :-P

"Alas ... ear wax."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

"Alas ... ear wax."

Close. One of the things I took home were the saltiest "Sweet Dill Chips" on the planet. :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:26 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

"Alas ... ear wax."

Close. One of the things I took home were the saltiest "Sweet Dill Chips" on the planet. :lol:

"George swears he got a bogey flavored one once."

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:30 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:It is based on glycemic index. GI is the speed at which a food, after eating, is converted to blood glucose. The scale is 1 to 100, with pure glucose at 100. Potatoes have a GI of 85, which is quite high.

Gee Whiz....somehow I remembered just the opposite. Thanks for the correction, your info is exactly right. ............. I asssumed I simply overgeneralized from the notion that potatoes are good for you...its all the additives. Unless you post again to blow THAT out of the water...I'll stick with that. Hard to beat potatoes for variety in presentation.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Bobbo

Have my doubts about the 'logic' surrounding glycemic index. Potatoes have been eaten by poorer people in Europe as a staple for centuries, and they were not known for obesity! The other food that has a very high glycemic index is white rice, and that is a staple for lots of people in Asia who are definitely not obese. It is only when Asians come to eat a more western diet that they pile on the fat.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 pm

Isn't the logic that total calories consumed still counts? I should have remembered that "white food" is generally unhealthy. Potatoes, corn, white rice, sugar...msg/salt/white grape juice, vanilla ice cream/snow===all white and no good!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo

Have my doubts about the 'logic' surrounding glycemic index. Potatoes have been eaten by poorer people in Europe as a staple for centuries, and they were not known for obesity! The other food that has a very high glycemic index is white rice, and that is a staple for lots of people in Asia who are definitely not obese. It is only when Asians come to eat a more western diet that they pile on the fat.

Somewhat white-ish rice is a fairly new invention (late 1700s) and completely white rice even later (mid/late 1900s). It wasn`t until after the famine years (war years - 1950s) that most people ate white rice - nearly matching the rise in body mass. Unmilled rice (genmai), millet, barley, etc. - was and is even now the alternative.

Having adopted a sedentary lifestyle, lower food prices, plus availability of a western diet are probably the cause of rising obesity in Asia.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:46 pm

TJrandom wrote:

Somewhat white-ish rice is a fairly new invention (late 1700s) and completely white rice even later (mid/late 1900s). It wasn`t until after the famine years (war years - 1950s) that most people ate white rice - nearly matching the rise in body mass. Unmilled rice (genmai), millet, barley, etc. - was and is even now the alternative.

Having adopted a sedentary lifestyle, lower food prices, plus availability of a western diet are probably the cause of rising obesity in Asia.

My favourite...uh, I'd better call it a "story" because I'm not sure how true it was even at the time -- was about the Asian diet. People who moved to Hawaii but maintained their traditional Asian diet were more likely to become fat and die from heart attacks, and nobody knew why.

Meh. That story was from the 80s.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

My favourite...uh, I'd better call it a "story" because I'm not sure how true it was even at the time -- was about the Asian diet. People who moved to Hawaii but maintained their traditional Asian diet were more likely to become fat and die from heart attacks, and nobody knew why.

Meh. That story was from the 80s.

Sedentary, rich...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:20 pm

"American." ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:29 pm

When I visited the Philippines, one thing that startled me was to observe just how much white rice the locals ate. A lunch meal might be a saucepan load of plain white rice wrapped cold in newspaper. They ate literally handfulls of white rice, which I could never have done. Yet these guys were skinny.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:28 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:...I should have remembered that "white food" is generally unhealthy. Potatoes, corn, white rice, sugar...msg/salt/white grape juice, vanilla ice cream/snow===all white and no good!

As with oranges, to really get all the nutrition a potato offers, you'll have to eat its not so fashionable coat, too. (And boy, am I glad that doesn't apply to eggs. :sick: Even tho those shells also have good uses...)
Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:38 pm

Easier done with potatoes than with oranges...

We recently bought a `silent juicer` - which used compression instead of centrifugal force, to extract the juice. A sales point is that you do not need to peel anything. The down side, is that any liquids in the peel also wind up as juice - and citrus fruits have rather nasty oils in the peels. True, there may be nutrition in the peel, but it no longer tastes like that juice. My lemon juice is lemon oil...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:47 pm

I like the flavor of orange marmalade, where the peel is used, tho. :-D
Hi, Io the lurker.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 am

Van-willem-vincent-gogh-die-kartoffelesser-03850.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:10 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:When I visited the Philippines, one thing that startled me was to observe just how much white rice the locals ate. A lunch meal might be a saucepan load of plain white rice wrapped cold in newspaper. They ate literally handfulls of white rice, which I could never have done. Yet these guys were skinny.

Did they eat the newspaper too? I bet the essential inks in them would have caused the pounds to just drop away.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:45 am

Gord wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:When I visited the Philippines, one thing that startled me was to observe just how much white rice the locals ate. A lunch meal might be a saucepan load of plain white rice wrapped cold in newspaper. They ate literally handfulls of white rice, which I could never have done. Yet these guys were skinny.

Did they eat the newspaper too? I bet the essential inks in them would have caused the pounds to just drop away.

It was plantain leaves at first.

And you don't see many cfat Filipnos.

(Restart sarcasm Possibility algorythm. )

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:21 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:When I visited the Philippines, one thing that startled me was to observe just how much white rice the locals ate.
Filipino Christians use a direct method for their iron supplements.
philippine iron.jpg

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:04 pm

:hmm: :sick:

...but back to (or near to) topic:
Pigmented Potato Consumption Alters Oxidative Stress and Inflammatory Damage in Men...

FIGURE 1

Plasma CRP and IL-6 concentrations in men who consumed WP, YP, or PP for 6 wk. Values are means ± SEM, n = 12. Data were analyzed by ANCOVA using wk 0 as the covariate. Means at a time with superscripts without a common letter differ, P < 0.05.
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/141/1/108.full

("WP, YP, or PP" would be white, yellow or purple potatoes, I guess...)
Hi, Io the lurker.

Return to “Healthcare”