natural gas exposure

A skeptical look at medical practices
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: natural gas exposure

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
Lance Kennedy wrote:On new ideas.

Skeptics are not in the least opposed to new ideas. What we are opposed to are ideas for which there is no credible evidence. The other kind, ideas for which there is good evidence, is very common, and embraced by skeptics.

im sure its not a new idea . simple fact - I had a gas leak . after it was repaired ; I don't get as sick as I used 2

Yup, same with me... after having eaten those oysters and getting sick, I gave up on oysters. Of course it may not have been the oysters – maybe those utensils weren`t washed properly, or the cook didn`t wash his hands, or I touched an infected doorknob – but it doesn`t much matter, since I can live quite well without oysters.

BTW - natural gas is not pure methane. Natural gas is primarily methane but has other hydrocarbons as well as the odorant added in. Breathing in natural gas will indeed make you sick.

As for a gas leak and getting it fixed - I`d have gotten sick over the wasted energy and the bill for it.

Genaro
Poster

Postby Genaro » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Genaro wrote:
There is all kinds of "mystery" about methane as a toxin.

Only for those people who like to generate false conspiracy theories.

The reference I posted, from a VERY reputable source, shows it is simple. Methane is not toxic, but displaces oxygen leading to asphyxiation. End of story. That is not as interesting as the conspiracy idea, of course, but reality is often mundane.

No. It's not even close to the end of the story.

But like any pseudo-sceptic establishment defender clown you did a little Googling and declared it yet another "conspiracy theory".

Who cares what the two different Doctors and two different Toxicologists at two separate hospitals said about long term natural gas/methane exposure and poisoning.

That's all irrelevant because some guy calling himself Lance Kennedy on an internet forum says, "Methane is not toxic". So that's that and there's nothing to see here.

What's truly astounding is you have no idea what a perfect example of a useful idiot you actually are.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:13 pm

Pseudo-skeptic? Well, let's see ...
On the one hand, we have the entire medical fraternity stating that methane is not toxic, backed up by the entire scientific community stating that methane is not toxic. On the other hand, we have Genaro's tale that he was told by two medics that methane binds to haemoglobin. Upon checking the basic chemistry involved, it turns out that the binding agent is iron, well-known for its affinity to oxygen but not particularly well-known for its affinity to methane.
I dunno - it's left me scratching my head. Genaro or doctors? Science or anecdote? Straightforward information or bare-faced lies with an agenda? Well - I really don't know which way to turn.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm

2 different Toxicologists

So you insist on telling us, with monotonous regularity. Do they have names?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Nobrot wrote:
2 different Toxicologists

So you insist on telling us, with monotonous regularity. Do they have names?

"Pat" and "Mike". They walk into a bar and die from natural gas poisoning.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:41 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_gas

Natural gas isn't 100% methane. Depending on its source, it can contain "varying amounts of other higher alkanes, and sometimes a small percentage of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, hydrogen sulfide, or helium".

Safety concerns are mainly related to production, fracking, olfactory detection (because it's an asphyxiant), explosion, and carbon monoxide inhalation.

Natural gas heating systems may cause carbon monoxide poisoning if unvented or poorly vented. In 2011, natural gas furnaces, space heaters, water heaters and stoves were blamed for 11 carbon monoxide deaths in the US.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-containing fuels, such as coal, oil, charcoal, wood, kerosene, natural gas and propane.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Obviously, if natural gas contains carbon monoxide, that makes it toxic. But methane is not toxic, no matter what Genaro says.

Nor are doctors, including toxicologists, actual scientists. Because their focus is on healing, not scientific accuracy, they might well say what the patient wants to hear, rather than what is strictly correct.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Sooo for the sake of Genaro`s mind... yes, and no matter what the scientists and all of the evidence shows... methane is extremely toxic. Maybe if we all say it in unison… OK now… on 1..2..3…. Methane is toxic. :roll:

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Jeffrey Wigand is a famous example of a psycho loser ;
who refused to accept and admit the experts and his superiors were right . :burn:
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:Jeffrey Wigand is a famous example of a psycho loser

Um, no?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 pm

For those unaware, Jeffrey Wigand was an academic who stood up to the tobacco companies, and opposed them due to the harm that smoking does.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Dr Mona Hanna-Attisha is another local loco psycho loser who did not know her place .

doctor sanjay gupta cnn 1/22/16

Michigan health official Corrine miller sentenced to 1 year probation ? :burn:

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm

PIAS

If you want to sarcastically refer to heroes in this way, please explain what you are on about.
For those who do not know, Dr. Mona Hanna-Attisha was a pediatrician who alerted the world to the problems of lead in the water supply of the city of Flint.

PIAS
This style of argument is crap. Sarcasm does not demonstrate anything. If you have a point, with evidence, make it.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 am

question the facts presented by doctors , scientists , public officials , the WIZARD of OZ ; in this forum and your attacked .

doctor Donald l Rasmussen worked for decades to expose black lung disease in miners .

imagine what would have happened if he also questioned the other thing the miners breathe - methane .

fact is doctors who actually look for the truth are exceptions to the rule / heroes

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:09 am

Over the course of my life, I have known and spoken to hundreds of doctors. As a general rule, most of them are very committed to the truth. There are a few who are not, but arseholes are found in every walk of life.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:question the facts presented by doctors , scientists , public officials , the WIZARD of OZ ; in this forum and your attacked .

Who is attacked?

When someone questions the facts presented by doctors, scientists, public officials, or anyone else of authority, they will usually be questioned back. If their source of information turns out to be poor, that source will be attacked.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:52 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:... imagine what would have happened if he also questioned the other thing the miners breathe - methane ....

Yup... Telling isn`t it that he didn`t question methane? Of course, just maybe he did, and then moved on.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 am

psychiatry is a scam wrote:question the facts presented by doctors , scientists , public officials ,.........
Frankly, you should follow your own advice, avoid all doctors and science based medical remedies and let natural selection take its course.

Thanks for not breeding. It cleans up the human gene pool.
:lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:question the facts presented by doctors , scientists , public officials , the WIZARD of OZ ; in this forum and I'll whinge and whinge and whinge and whinge and whinge ...

Fixed that for you, you whiny little git.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Healthcare”